Sir Bobby Robson passes away age 76

bobbyshinton

Completely disagree that mourning Robson is different, even though I agree he was an extraordinarily decent man.

People have the right to feel a connection with whoever they like.

Thats right, some people were affected by Jade Goody's death just as much I expect. Thats why I've always hated the texts and jokes that you hear, to someone they will be painful. Its bad taste and disrespectful anyway.

I'm struggling to think of another man held in such high esteem. Whenever any other person that's achieved any level of fame dies there's inevitably jokes about it or a backlash against the oversentimentalisation. But there's not been any of that with Sir Bobby, and you can confidently say there won't be. He deserves every platitude given.

I agree with that 100% but I'm starting to feel things are getting stupid. The rise of the death cult a la Diana/Goody/Jackson which now includes Bobby shows a desperation of people needing to grieve over people they don't actually know which I think is very unhealthy.

I'm sad the man is dead but the way people are talking here about crying their eyes out/being devastated etc can only lead me to think they've never suffered the loss of someone close - or if they have I think they should re-evaluate what should be the appropriate difference between the two.

I posted this on N-O the other day.

Today has brought a whole host of memories back too about my granda who died battling cancer almost two years ago. It was his fifth time fighting it too, yet he still got by with a smile on his face and always thought of others rather than himself. So I suppose I knew this would come back today too but it has certainly made today a lot more emotional for me too.

I do agree about the general sentiment about people some times being desperate to grieve over people they don't actually know, it does generally seem like that now. But there's some things that have no logic at all.

People find their own way to grieve, for some it is by quiet and private reflection, for others it is to leave a public tribute, neither is right or wrong but the decision of the individual, whilst it is more evident in terms of the shirts and flowers that have been left, it is more than likely the private and personal method of mourning that is more common.

It's kind of a wierd one isn't when someone you admire and respect but don't personally know dies.

It can still affect you because of your admiration.

Again, I'd go down the each to their own route.

Personally, I can't go down the grief route because I didn't know him. At the same time, I do feel very sad about his death and I did feel the need to go up to St James' yesterday, to leave a scarf because I admired the bloke for what he signified to football in general and NUFC and the region in particular. It was sort of like a thanks for the good times.

But, let's also look at what's happened here. A man who was Black and White through and through, revered throughout the world and fought cancer five times showing dignity throughout has died at a time when the club he loved is in a dreadful and sorry state. Those were his last memories of Newcastle United Football Club. Were it not for stupid, egotistical callous vermin, he may have at least witnessed at least the very beginnings of some sort of recovery and hope. Let's not forget this. Let us as fans unite to make sure that other NUFC fans - be they internationally respected personalities such as Sir Bobby, or just the bloke down the road who's been going since he was a kid - die with their last memories of Newcastle United being in such a terrible state. Let's demand, and help to build a club that is envied and respected throughout football both on the pitch and for its role and involvement in the community, that was so dear to Bobby Robson. That would be the ultimate tribute to him.

Were it not for stupid, egotistical callous vermin, he may have at least witnessed at least the very beginnings of some sort of recovery and hope. Let's not forget this. Let us as fans unite to make sure that other NUFC fans - be they internationally respected personalities such as Sir Bobby, or just the bloke down the road who's been going since he was a kid - die with their last memories of Newcastle United being in such a terrible state. Let's demand, and help to build a club that is envied and respected throughout football both on the pitch and for its role and involvement in the community, that was so dear to Bobby Robson. That would be the ultimate tribute to him.

Spot on.

Completely disagree that mourning Robson is different, even though I agree he was an extraordinarily decent man.

People have the right to feel a connection with whoever they like.

Thats right, some people were affected by Jade Goody's death just as much I expect. Thats why I've always hated the texts and jokes that you hear, to someone they will be painful. Its bad taste and disrespectful anyway.

I agree...I hate "jokes" like that, I think they demean the person telling them too.

You can't imagine Sir Bobby would've found them funny or texted one on can you?

We have a history of black humour in this country, and use it as a coping mechanism. I'm more guilty than most at passing on poor taste jokes. But I'm glad I haven't heard any about Sir Bob.

I personally think it's been taken too far now though.

It's kind of a wierd one isn't when someone you admire and respect but don't personally know dies.

Personally, I can't go down the grief route because I didn't know him. At the same time, I do feel very sad about his death and I did feel the need to go up to St James' yesterday, to leave a scarf because I admired the bloke for what he signified to football in general and NUFC and the region in particular. It was sort of like a thanks for the good times.

But, let's also look at what's happened here. A man who was Black and White through and through, revered throughout the world and fought cancer five times showing dignity throughout has died at a time when the club he loved is in a dreadful and sorry state. Those were his last memories of Newcastle United Football Club. Were it not for stupid, egotistical callous vermin, he may have at least witnessed at least the very beginnings of some sort of recovery and hope. Let's not forget this. Let us as fans unite to make sure that other NUFC fans - be they internationally respected personalities such as Sir Bobby, or just the bloke down the road who's been going since he was a kid - die with their last memories of Newcastle United being in such a terrible state. Let's demand, and help to build a club that is envied and respected throughout football both on the pitch and for its role and involvement in the community, that was so dear to Bobby Robson. That would be the ultimate tribute to him.

Whilst I feel angry that the club is in the mess it's in at the time of Sir Bobby's passing, I do think it's a completely different situation and should be treated as such. Comments about Ashley and Llambias shouldn't even been in the same book let alone the same sentence as Sir Bobby Robson and I feel that club being run in a fit and proper way is something that should happen regardless, not as some sort of tribute to Sir Bobby.

In short, any tribute should have absolutely nothing to do with those clowns in charge.

The nearest thing I've seen to a "joke" so far is a b3ta image of a young Bobby in his playing days preparing to take a corner, but doctored so that he's kicking a bucket rather than a ball. I won't post it here, partly out of respect and partly because it's not really all that funny, but in a strange way it says a lot that even the traditional sick humour bastions of the internet haven't come up with anything "better".

Whilst I feel angry that the club is in the mess it's in at the time of Sir Bobby's passing, I do think it's a completely different situation and should be treated as such. Comments about Ashley and Llambias shouldn't even been in the same book let alone the same sentence as Sir Bobby Robson and I feel that club being run in a fit and proper way is something that should happen regardless, not as some sort of tribute to Sir Bobby.

In short, any tribute should have absolutely nothing to do with those clowns in charge.

I agree with that Craig.

come now geordie faithful let us say a prayer,

for our beloved bobbys gone and i know its hard to bear,

our hearts are filled with sorrow,

our eyes fill up with tears,

but listen very carefully and you'll hear the angels cheers,

for bobbys entered wonderland and now with god he stands,

with that twinkle in his eye,and that smile upon his face ,

he blessed saint james park with true amazing grace,

so rise now geordie faithful ,

let us sing his song ,

for there is ONLY ONE BOBBY ROBSON,

and in our hearts he does belong.

nicked off Facebook.

Barca did, but only Beckham wore one for galaxy. Bit ignorant if you ask me....

Yanks for you.

What's sad is it's probably on account of Beckham that they didn't.

I agree Craig but also I can't help feeling the death of Robson is almost symbolic of the death of our club. I absolutely hate the fact that Robson saw the depths our club has been reduced to before he died. I always hoped he could see us win something, although I was never naive enough to believe that would happen.

I'm more upset by the death of Robson than any other celebrity, despite the fact he had a great life (the only other celebrity I was remotely upset about was Freddy Mercury when he died). I'm not going over the top about it, but the disastrous state the club is in makes things much worse imo. I can't take comfort out of anything.

Barca did, but only Beckham wore one for galaxy. Bit ignorant if you ask me....

Yanks for you.

What's sad is it's probably on account of Beckham that they didn't.

Why would they though? Newcastle players wouldn't wear an armband if a foreign football legend died, would they?