Sir Bobby Robson passes away age 76

bobbyshinton

In tomorrows Sun

Bobby didn’t blame Ashley ... his big disappointment was Wise!

IT was just a few weeks before his death I saw my old friend for the last time.

Five bouts of cancer and innumerable chemotherapy treatments had left him confined to his wheelchair.

His mind was as sharp as a pin but, he confided, his body was letting him down.

It was a hard thing for a sportsman to take, especially one of his stature - a man the entire world of football loved.

It was then I knew the long battle was nearing its conclusion.

My tear was quickly and discreetly wiped away because there was not a grain of self-pity in the man.

And after we had enjoyed a picnic lunch (along with a glass or two of red wine) with his ever-loyal wife Elsie, he gave me a tour of his beloved, renovated house in Durham - within striking distance of St James' Park and the Durham County Ground.

After his family, the foundation he set up in his name and devoted so much time to, cricket and football still dominated his life and his conversations - especially Newcastle United and how hurt he was at their demise under the present regime.

But then football has always dominated every conversation I have ever had with Bobby all over the globe.

And, I have to confess, I never got tired of listening to a man who truly loved the game with a great passion.

This was no high-powered interview with tape recorders and cameras. In fact there was not even a pencil and a notebook.

There were just quiet reminiscences as we sat in his beautiful lounge designed by Lady Elsie and then, in his wheelchair, a guided tour through a long corridor of signed photographs charting the life of one of the best-known names in the long history of the global game.

The passion was still as strong and powerful as ever.

But the smiles and glow as he talked about Durham and England cricket (he was a very good cricketer himself) turned into a scowl and a frown as we returned, inevitably, to the subject of Newcastle United.

He revealed he was not surprised, only deeply hurt, by the relegation of the club he had supported as a child - travelling from his village of Sacriston in Durham to the ground with his miner father Phillip - and eventually managed, realising another dream.

"I don't blame the chairman Mike Ashley," he confided somewhat surprisingly.

"He had the club at heart and wanted success as much as I did but his great mistakes were in those he gathered around him.

"My biggest disappointment was in Dennis Wise, a director of football who was hardly seen at the ground and who brought in players who were neither suitable nor right for Newcastle United.

"I forgive most people but I am not sure I can forgive Wise for what he did to my club."

This was a rare attack from a man who forgave all those people who aimed poisonous barbs in his direction - particularly when he was managing England for eight years, taking them to a World Cup quarter-final and a semi-final, the furthest any manager of the national side has gone away from our own shores.

There were a few he could have pointed a finger at. Colleagues of mine who allowed their editors to rule their hearts and penned poisonous pieces to aid a tabloid war rather than impart the truth.

Chairmen, particularly Freddy Shepherd who sacked him four games into a new season, and others who failed to keep their promises.

Even players he loved who whispered behind his back and let him down.

He laughed when I reminded him of his forgiving nature and said: "I guess I will be the same about Wise - eventually!"

I guess if he could forgive Shepherd for what he did to him, he could forgive anybody for anything - including Wise.

His passion about Newcastle United and England remained undimmed to the end.

The future, so blurred for him personally, was not a problem for Newcastle, as he said: "Look, they may have a problem for a season or two until they settle down, but with the wonderful, unflinching support and the fabulous ground they have, they will soon be back.

"They should, however, take warning of what has happened to Leeds United, who are still trying to scramble out of what I would call the third division.

"They have the same sort of huge, loyal support as Newcastle and they have learned to take nothing for granted.

"Newcastle should, as soon as possible, appoint Alan Shearer as manager.

"I know he wants the job and he is a local man who can rally the support and motivate the players, providing he has the right men around him to coach and bring the players along.

"They say that the Newcastle fans are too demanding.

"But all they want is a football team to play at the top level and produce the sort of attacking football they love to watch.

"Of course they would love to be European champions but they are realists.

"God knows they have had enough practice!"

Sir Bobby always advocated an English manager for the English team.

But he was pleasantly surprised at the progress made under Italian Fabio Capello, telling me: "What a decent man he seems to be.

"I like him and I like what he has done with the England team and the way he has gone about qualifying for the World Cup."

England, of course, remained his enduring love.

And despite the way the FA treated him, he was always first in the queue to offer his services - no matter how temporarily - when they found themselves in a scrape after his departure.

He always called it the "best job in the world".

The FA can, at last, return his loyalty by giving him the sort of send off he so richly deserves at a memorial service, probably in Durham, in the early autumn.

It will have to be by invitation only because if they opened it up to all those who love this man, Wembley Stadium would not be big enough.

Edited by JaMoUsE

Bizarely, it's time like these that make me the most proud and the most embarrassed to support this club. Proud becuase of the majority who've shown their appreciation by just quietly taking something down, like a scarf or a shirt, and putting a little message on. Yet again though we're let down by the gurning attention seekers turning it into a pissing contest.

As for the tribute to the great man, he has a brilliant statue that he loved at Portman Road so another statue is a non starter for me. I think the most fitting tribute is the Cancer Research Centre he's started. His name forever being associated with this is the most productive legacy he can leave.

''Just Call Me Bobby'' on BBC iPlayer

I have this on DVD but I was told there was a Sir Bobby Tribute program on last night but I missed it as I was in Liverpool.

Just watched a bit of it there and couldn't help but have a bit of a cry. It's the first time I have really seen the man in motion since he passed. Outside of an interview anyway.

No longer available on BBC iPlayer.

FFS! Would really liked to have seen that.

Go here and get it Renton:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=48...son+documentary

I know the screen says it's no longer available, but the Download video - iPod/PSP to the right hand side still works. Downloads in MP4 format so viewable through QuickTime on a PC.

Thanks Craig, Surprisingly that works well on my Walkman.

Bizarely, it's time like these that make me the most proud and the most embarrassed to support this club. Proud becuase of the majority who've shown their appreciation by just quietly taking something down, like a scarf or a shirt, and putting a little message on. Yet again though we're let down by the gurning attention seekers turning it into a pissing contest.

As for the tribute to the great man, he has a brilliant statue that he loved at Portman Road so another statue is a non starter for me. I think the most fitting tribute is the Cancer Research Centre he's started. His name forever being associated with this is the most productive legacy he can leave.

:jesuswept:

Dropped an England shirt off with a message on at the ground and a scarf.

There's a serious amount of tributes! :jesuswept:

+ on a side note the pitch is looking awesome.

Buried in an unnamed location in the North East apparently.

Can understand why the family wants privacy but it's sad in a way not knowing where he's been laid to rest.

There's going to be a Thanksgiving service apparently to celebrate his life which will be a lovely gesture I think. And perhaps the site of the grave will emerge in time when the furore has settled down a bit.

There's going to be a Thanksgiving service apparently to celebrate his life which will be a lovely gesture I think. And perhaps the site of the grave will emerge in time when the furore has settled down a bit.

Thanksgiving service at SJP perhaps? I'm sure it'd be filled to the rooftops :(

Durham cathedral allegedly

Thanksgiving service at SJP perhaps? I'm sure it'd be filled to the rooftops :nufc:

It's a cracking cathedral to be fair. :(

And it'll be a cracking thanksgiving. I'm just putting forward the idea that a second service aimed towards the footballing world be held in his honour and that SJP would be a fitting place to hold it.

And while I'm at it, I still reckon the FA need to do something to honour him - we're supposedly the country who invented the game, SBR was IMO the man who gave the game it's perfect ideals.

its on .co.uk that the ground is remaining open until sunday for fans to go and pay respects, so pleased at this as i'm back home this weekend and wanted to pop down

Had his family funeral today. We'll miss you Bobby.

:(

Farewell to an Absolute Gent.

Agree with Craigs comments about Memorial service at SJP, but not sure if this would conflict with any religious belief Sir Bobby had, if any?

If SJP is not possible, Durham is magnificent.

I'm sure we'll make our first home game an unofficial Memorial to the man anyway.

Howay lads: Best song around is Sir Bobby's Song - and NUFC are considering playing before the Reading match on the 15th.

Now, for less than the cost of a pint, or half a bottle of coke at St James' park, take a listen, get your debit cards out and BUY IT. EVERY penny goes to Sir Bobby's charity foundation. (After the card company takes it's cut).

Buy it at http://www.coquet-shack.com

Edited by shackman

Had his family funeral today. We'll miss you Bobby.

:(

Farewell to an Absolute Gent.

Agree with Craigs comments about Memorial service at SJP, but not sure if this would conflict with any religious belief Sir Bobby had, if any?

If SJP is not possible, Durham is magnificent.

I'm sure we'll make our first home game an unofficial Memorial to the man anyway.

From re-reading his autobiography he says he's not really one for religion but would go along with it because he's wife's devout catholic.

Has anyone any idea where i can find the bbc bobby robson tributes? my pvr hdd has failed, i got as far as shearer talking before the tribute match, then it stopped :panic: couldn't watch it at the time because tv was banned, i had just had my eyes lasered, then when he died I couldn't bring myself to watch it sooner than now, i keep welling up. I have found the game on itv player but the bbc tributes are gone and I cannot download off itv afaik. Thanks :lol:

A number of NUFC.com readers are choosing to pay their tribute to the late Sir Bobby Robson in the form of raising funds for the foundation that bears his name, including:

John Reed who is currently pedalling from his Surrey home to take his seat at SJP for Saturday's game. He's not set up a separate website, but anyone looking to sponsor him can do so via www.sirbobbyrobsonfoundation.org.uk

And if you'd like to see how he's getting on, click here

Staying on the two-wheeled theme, Jonathan Heron and his pal Kyle Stubbs will pedal from John O'Groats to Lands End later this month in aid of the SBR Foundation. Oh yes, they'll be dressed as Batman & Robin....

http://www.justgiving.com/batmanandrobin2009/

I work with one of those lads and the other one used to work at my place. Fair play. :lol:

i was home at the weekend and popped down to the ground, must say i was close to tears, the shear volume of shirts,scarves etc was fantastic, i spotted a signed Marseille shirt from Habib Beye,

Cunts:

Keane blasts idiot Robson tribute thief

14 August 2009

IPSWICH Town manager Roy Keane has branded a thief who stole scarves and shirts from the Sir Bobby Robson tribute outside Portman Road as an “idiot” and a “clown”.

Keane made his comments today after police revealed that a “callous” thief was seen by a member of the public taking the items left in remembrance to the legendary ex-Town manager following his death at the age of 76 on Friday July 31.

CCTV footage viewed by the police shows the man going along the tributes left by grieving members of the public at the statue of Sir Bobby and picking items out. It happened on Monday evening at about 6.30pm.

Keane said: “Unfortunately in all walks of life you are going to get one or two idiots around and that is disrespectful to those people who left things for Sir Bobby.

“But we also have to remember all the thousands of people who paid their respects and we should not focus on one or two clowns.”

A Suffolk police spokeswoman, who described the theft as “callous”, said: “Clearly these items have been left in remembrance to Sir Bobby Robson and it is not in the spirit for anybody to be going and taking them away. People have put these down in remembrance and it is the same as taking something from a grave.”

Last night, Ipswich Town Football Club said it was “distressed” and “disappointed” to hear of the theft.

A club spokesman said: “The club has been made aware that a small number of items have been taken from the public tribute to Sir Bobby Robson and we are, naturally, distressed and disappointed to hear of the theft.

“It is our further understanding that Suffolk Constabulary are investigating the matter and as always we will be assisting them in any way we can to help them find those responsible.”

Members of the public started to leave their tributes around the Sir Bobby Robson statue on the day of his death. This included flowers, shirts and scarves.

The man is described as being black, with short hair and wearing sunglasses with a black denim jacket and dark jeans.

Police are appealing for anybody who sees anything suspicious in the area to contact them on 01473 613500 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.