Sir Bobby Robson passes away age 76

bobbyshinton

http://www.twtd.co.uk/news.php?storyid=15111

Town Confirm North Stand to be Renamed in Honour of Robson

Tue 18th Aug 2009 10:16

Town have confirmed that the North Stand will become known as the Sir Bobby Robson Stand in tribute to the legendary Blues boss. The stand is expected to be officially be re-christened at the game against Newcastle United on September 26th when Robson’s wife Lady Elsie and their sons will be in attendance.

Chief executive Simon Clegg says the stand renaming is something which has been overwhelmingly backed by supporters: "We've considered all of the suggestions that we have received from many different sources for another permanent memorial at Portman Road to the greatest manager this club has had, but above all the thoughts of the fans.

"The overwhelming majority wanted the Sir Bobby Robson Stand and with the North Stand being seen as the heart of the club and of the fanbase, the fans feel this is the right stand to be renamed.

"We believe that this is the right decision for the club and we will now look to move those plans forward and have submitted a planning application to Ipswich Borough Council with a view of the unveiling ceremony taking place on September 26th before the Championship match against Newcastle United here at Portman Road.

"We have been in close communication with Lady Elsie, over a range of issues, but she was delighted to hear that we wanted to honour Sir Bobby in this particular way. She is hugely supportive and she is very hopeful that both she and a number of her family members will be here to see the Stand opened against Newcastle, a club that was obviously also very close to Sir Bobby's heart.

"I'd like to add that through the correspondence and exchanges that we have had, she has asked me to pass on her heartfelt thanks to all of the supporters for the way that they have recognised the passing of Sir Bobby, and to particularly thank those fans who have made a financial contribution to the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation.

"It's the club's intention that the shirts and memorabilia around Sir Bobby's statue will be taken down after tonight's match with Crystal Palace and will then be stored until the visit of Newcastle when they will be redisplayed on the railings alongside the statue in Portman Road.

"Following further discussions with Sir Bobby's family, the shirts will then be washed and transported with the scarves and shirts that have been displayed at St James' Park to Africa to be used by underprivileged young people. Like us, Lady Elsie believes that Sir Bobby would be very happy with this course of action and to see the items put to good use.

"It is also our intention to feature a number of other initiatives when Newcastle come to Portman Road. The details are still being finalised but I do want it to be seen as two clubs celebrating one legend and there are a number of ideas that will be rolled out in due course."

In August last year, with Robson battling cancer for the fifth time, TWTD Message Boarder Andy Feasey started a petition calling for the North Stand to be renamed in the former manager's honour, with the idea gaining greater impetus since Robson's death at the end of last month.

Agreed, without wishing to sound disrespectful to his achievements at Newcastle, it is more apt that that kind of tribute is done at Ipswich Town, in my opinion.

Sir Bobby Robson's memorial service to be held at Durham Cathedral

Aug 21 2009 By Tom Mullen

NORTH East legend Sir Bobby Robson's memorial service is to be held at Durham Cathedral next month.

On Friday, a statement from Sir Bobby's family announced the service will be held on Monday September 21.

The occasion will be limited to family and close friends of Sir Bobby, and those who were close to him throughout his life in football.

Attendance at the service will be by invitation and/or ticket only.

• 3 weeks later...

Sir Bobby memorial to be shown at St James's Park

Sep 7 2009 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

NEWCASTLE United have announced they will be hosting a live screening of Sir Bobby Robson’s memorial service from Durham Cathedral.

The move comes after it emerged last week that the service is to be beamed live to Ipswich, where Sir Bobby forged his managerial career.

Sir Bobby made his name as manager of Ipswich Town in the 1970s before moving on to manage England, several European clubs and Newcastle United.

He died in July at the age of 76 after losing a battle with cancer.

But fans had complained that nothing was going to be done to show the service, which is by invitation only, to the public in the North East.

Now Newcastle United have stepped in to help after annoucing The North (Sir John Hall) Stand will be opened for the event on September 21.

The stadium will open at 12.30pm with free admission via Turnstiles 17 - 32. People needing disabled access should use Emergency Exit N16.

A club spokesman said: "As seating arrangements are on an unreserved basis please ensure attendance in good time for the commencement of the service which is 2pm."

• 2 years later...
  • 11 months later...

"On the fourth anniversary of his death, let's take a look back at some of the greatest words spoken by one of the greatest men to walk the earth. A true ambassador for football and sport in general, everyone loved Sir Bobby Robson and there was not a fan in the country that didn't show their respects when he passed away on 31st July 2009."

http://www.ftbpro.com/posts/kevin.blundell/303109/sir-bobby-robson-s-greatest-quotes

:cry:

"He would talk to me like I was the best player in the world and I went out at St James’ Park feeling like I was going to play like the best player in the world.

I am 5ft 6 or 5ft 7ins tall but I am telling you this: when I put that kit on and I was standing in that tunnel with Bobby Robson, I felt like I was Didier Drogba." - Craig Bellamy."

nufcfans_sir_bobby_robson_porto_newcastl

Arguably the best player of all time and arguably the best manager of all time, and both of them working under and having huge respect for the son of a coal miner from Sacriston :D

Mental :lol:

You could make 20 or 30 of those :lol:

He called Bryan Robson 'Bobby'

Bryan said 'I'm Bryan, your Bobby'

And calling Shola 'Carl Cort' for 6 months

haha

Love the story of him on the training ground shouting at Shola "Carl! Carl!" turns to his assistant and says "Whys Carl ignoring me?" as Shola goes past and says "I'm Shola boss"

Aye that's the one i was thinking off they were asking him what nicknames he had for players like "bellers" was bellamy and such

and the interviewer asked what he called him and shola said "carl cort"

edit >

Journalist: "So Shola, do you have a nickname at the club?"

Ameobi: "Not really no."

Journalist: "What do the lads call you?"

Ameobi: "Shola."

Journalist: "What does [manager] Bobby Robson call you?"

Ameobi: "Carl Cort."

It could have been worse, he could have called him amamobi

my dad was about a year younger than Sir Bobby & he passed away in the Freeman Hospital of cancer, the day after Sir Bobby.

this is always a sad time for me; it may be 4 years but i miss my old fella every day - i still talk to him in fact.

RIP Eddy & Sir Bobby.

I don't think it's false for many people.

They feel a genuine connection to him, and a real sense of loss.

Not on the same scale as losing a close relative , but a genuine emotion nonetheless.

i remember NUFC fans spitting on Bobby Robson in 1982; 1-1 with Chelsea i think.....