Autobiographies that changed your opinions of people

Kid Dynamite

Just reading Des Lynams. Theres not a page goes by where he doesnt tell us about a fit lass he fucked or how any tv show he did turned shit after he left, or was shit cos they didnt ask him to be in it in the first place. What a fucking tard!

Also Micky Quinns, wasnt impressed at how he glossed over the fact he let his kids go without so he could gamble on the horses. He tells it like its some sort of amusing anecdote :lol:

Psycho - Stuart Pearce, utterly boring, once I put it down I couldn't pick it up again.

Paolo Di Canio - Possibly the best autobiography I've ever read, his childhood was incredible, amazed he ever became a player, really worth reading !

Paolo Di Canio - Possibly the best autobiography I've ever read, his childhood was incredible, amazed he ever became a player, really worth reading !

Didn't he dedicate a chapter of his autobiography to Mussolini?

peter kays was hilarious, I tho all that stuff about him just being a 'normal' bloke who just fell into showbiz was all promo bollocks but its not, thought he was a bit full of himself but he's had the kind of upbringing that most of us can really identify with. Actually laughed out loud reading it. I think he's a really nice guy from that book

Just reading Des Lynams. Theres not a page goes by where he doesnt tell us about a fit lass he fucked or how any tv show he did turned shit after he left, or was shit cos they didnt ask him to be in it in the first place. What a fucking tard!

Also Micky Quinns, wasnt impressed at how he glossed over the fact he let his kids go without so he could gamble on the horses. He tells it like its some sort of amusing anecdote :lol:

He seems to gloss over that he was an absent father, only concerned with booze,betting and other women, but obviously it doesn't state that his bairns went without because of this. Or you may have another source for this? (tabloid kiss and tell?) What did they go without? their old man being around almost certainly, but anything else?...

I found Peter Kay's alittle boring. The worst one I've read was Ginolas, infact I didnt finish it cos it was so bad. I hate it when the book is just an excuse to publicly air all your grievances.

I bought Jackie Stewarts but it went on abit and since then I'm not so keen on the man himself. Richard Bransons first one was very good and I enjoyed Richard Hammonds book mostly about his accident, very interesting.

Life in the Fast Lane: The Story of the Benetton Grand Prix Year and A Mechanics tale both by Steve Matchett are good reads. Also Perry McCarhy's Flat out, flat broke. (The old Stig) Lucky Man by Micheal J Fox is one of the best I've read.

Also Micky Quinns, wasnt impressed at how he glossed over the fact he let his kids go without so he could gamble on the horses. He tells it like its some sort of amusing anecdote :jesuswept:

He seems to gloss over that he was an absent father, only concerned with booze,betting and other women, but obviously it doesn't state that his bairns went without because of this. Or you may have another source for this? (tabloid kiss and tell?) What did they go without? their old man being around almost certainly, but anything else?...

Its been a while since I read it but iirc he talked about how in the days before superstar wages he spent every last penny on the horses whilst his missus was struggling to pay the bills or put food on the table

Don't really read them as a rule but the one I enjoyed the most was Jackie Milburns.

Also enjoyed Stephen Fry's first one, Lance Armstrongs and Billy Braggs (technically an authorised biog).

Its been a while since I read it but iirc he talked about how in the days before superstar wages he spent every last penny on the horses whilst his missus was struggling to pay the bills or put food on the table

I've re-read it recenty and it doesn't say that his bairns or his missus went without, although I suppose it's an easy thing to dedeuce from the lifestyle of a compulsive gambler. He did once clear his bank account after training one morning,then flew down to Heathrow and caught a cab to Epsom races where he met Mick Channon, who was trainer of the first horse that Quinny owned. Mick put the whole lot on the nose and it lost by "the shortest of short heads" and he bitterly regretted not doing it each way. He had to borrow 20 quid to get a cab back to Heathrow from a friendly Geordie he met at the races as he put everything he had on the horse. Christ knows how he explained that to his missus :jesuswept:

Young Stalin - never realised he was a TALENTED monster

So talented he wrote it from the grave apparently. Relating to the OP though, most autobiographies / official biographies (normally exactly the same thing anyway) are terrible snorefests.

So talented he wrote it from the grave apparently. Relating to the OP though, most autobiographies / official biographies (normally exactly the same thing anyway) are terrible snorefests.

Aye a lot seem to be self congratulatory to the point it beggars belief it wasn't released as a brochure to speed up a sale. As much as the folk who right tailored histories to make themselves look amazing are annoying, I hold the fawning fans who write a piece so sycophantic is leaves an ugly taste in the mouth, in lower regard.

Aye a lot seem to be self congratulatory to the point it beggars belief it wasn't released as a brochure to speed up a sale. As much as the folk who right tailored histories to make themselves look amazing are annoying, I hold the fawning fans who write a piece so sycophantic is leaves an ugly taste in the mouth, in lower regard.

Write on :lol:

You missed my point like but never mind :jesuswept:

Edited by alex

Didn't miss the point, just missed the "also" from my post is all. :jesuswept:

It's just most people who bring them out don't write them themselves.

Most "autobigraphies" are written by others, it's true. The subject still goes through it with the ghost writer to make sure they're painted in the most flattering light.

Most "autobigraphies" are written by others, it's true. The subject still goes through it with the ghost writer to make sure they're painted in the most flattering light.

That's why I said they're the same as official biographies normally.