Sir Bobby Robson Trophy

Guest Stevie

Guest Stevie

This cancer seems to be everywhere at the minute it always has been really. Is it 1 in 3 of us can expect to get it at some point. It's the one biological battle we must win, conspiracy theorists claim that they'll already have a cure for it but won't as it will cost the medical companies billions in lost revenue. It's a sad way for anyone to go, and I'm proud the toon fans have contributed to the building of the SBR Cancer ward at the Freeman. I think we should continue to do so in SBR's memory, I know you can't give to every charity and many of us have our own charities which we give money too, but I think they should mark SBR's life, passing, and dedication to this cause by hosting an annual tournament.

The England-Germany game was called the Sir Bobby Robson Trophy. Maybe it could retain it's name and for the first year have say, Newcastle, Barcelona, Ipswich and Porto competing for it in a four team format, then the years after that rotate the venue of his clubs, so maybe the year after the Nou Camp hosted it, and to maximise profitability only invite the top clubs of the world for it. It's an idea where we can all put something in and benefit from it too.

I agree whole heartedly. What I would say is that to encourage more involvement, the monies should be proportionately split between charities. While the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation obviously deserves pride of place, an annual event could help many charities. For example, if Barcelona wanted to put money towards a childrens charity in their area I think that too should be accomodated.

Rotating the venue is an excellent idea, I agree that the first year we should keep to the clubs that have a special connection to Sir Bobby and there-after invite big teams. I would however give clubs like the Kaiser Chiefs a chance to compete. The value of European attention and contribution to those most in need, is immeasurable.

Guest Stevie
I think every club he either played for or managed should have a yearly entry though.

Would be bigger than the FA Cup though. I think as long as a club with his connection is involved, the revenue generated should be the prime objective.

I think every club he either played for or managed should have a yearly entry though.

Would be bigger than the FA Cup though. I think as long as a club with his connection is involved, the revenue generated should be the prime objective.

I know what you're saying, but it was only about 8 or 9 clubs wasn't it? Maybe it could be rotational with half the clubs one year and half the next.

I don't think WBA or Fulham would be too happy about being dropped that's all and I suppose Sir Bobby wouldn't either.

I can see the point from a marketing POV of just having the big clubs, but at this rate, that'll not include us for much longer anyway.... :jesuswept:

Edited by Asprilla

This cancer seems to be everywhere at the minute it always has been really. Is it 1 in 3 of us can expect to get it at some point. It's the one biological battle we must win, conspiracy theorists claim that they'll already have a cure for it but won't as it will cost the medical companies billions in lost revenue. It's a sad way for anyone to go, and I'm proud the toon fans have contributed to the building of the SBR Cancer ward at the Freeman. I think we should continue to do so in SBR's memory, I know you can't give to every charity and many of us have our own charities which we give money too, but I think they should mark SBR's life, passing, and dedication to this cause by hosting an annual tournament.

The England-Germany game was called the Sir Bobby Robson Trophy. Maybe it could retain it's name and for the first year have say, Newcastle, Barcelona, Ipswich and Porto competing for it in a four team format, then the years after that rotate the venue of his clubs, so maybe the year after the Nou Camp hosted it, and to maximise profitability only invite the top clubs of the world for it. It's an idea where we can all put something in and benefit from it too.

Nice idea Stevie and one that could work too imo.

I suppose if we're going for all the teams he's been involved (playing or managed) with you'd end up having:

Fulham

West Bromwich Albion

Vancouver Royals

Ipswich Town

Sporting CP

FC Porto

FC Barcelona

PSV Eindhoven

Newcastle United

I guess you could keep it as an English club trophy and just have Fulham, WBA, Ipswich and Newcastle. If you dropped Vancouver out of the equation you could have an eight team knockout tournament which wouldn't take much longer.

Good idea though, I think a SBR Trophy game every year would be great!

Edited by Armchair Penis

I suppose if we're going for all the teams he's been involved (playing or managed) with you'd end up having:

Fulham

West Bromwich Albion

Vancouver Royals

Ipswich Town

Sporting CP

FC Porto

FC Barcelona

PSV Eindhoven

Newcastle United

I guess you could keep it as an English club trophy and just have Fulham, WBA, Ipswich and Newcastle. If you dropped Vancouver out of the equation you could have an eight team knockout tournament which wouldn't take much longer.

I think the four team thing as most preseason would work best switch thing teams every year

winner stays in or something

Sure have the clubs he's been involved with, but I'd leave at least one spot for another team, for one the "competition" wouldn't get stale and so press interest would continue and another, it'd give charities who wouldn't normally get the coverage have a slice of the pie.

Fulham

West Bromwich Albion

Vancouver Royals

Ipswich Town

Sporting CP

FC Porto

FC Barcelona

PSV Eindhoven

Newcastle United

Especially as they folded years ago :(

Dare I say, inventing our own tournament might also give us a chance of some silverware.

That's what the Newcastle/Gateshead cup was for. :(

I'd be all up for them rotating the hosts for it. Weekend jaunts to Holland, Spain et al would be superb :nufc:

Dare I say, inventing our own tournament might also give us a chance of some silverware.

That's what the Newcastle/Gateshead cup was for. :(

I'd be all up for them rotating the hosts for it. Weekend jaunts to Holland, Spain et al would be superb :unsure:

And even better if we aren't in it :nufc:

Aye, I remember this being mentioned over a few pages in the RIP thread and it's a cracking idea, whichever form it ultimately ends up taking.

:nufc:

:(