Taylor talks to the Times

beardieman

From The Times

August 8, 2009

‘It’s a joke that Alan Shearer hasn’t got the job’

George Caulkin

Recommend?

St James’ Park has become a haven for half-truths and contradiction, complexity and denial, but some words do not require interpretation. So here, without delay — delay being another lingering theme at Newcastle United — are the thoughts of Steven Taylor, defender, England Under-21 captain and boyhood supporter of the club.

“I’ve read every week that Alan Shearer is going to be named manager,” he said. “Then Joe Kinnear is going to get the job, then Kevin Keegan and then Alan again. I don’t get it. It’s a joke. The players are very frustrated because all we want to do is have a manager and a bit of stability. That’s all we ask for.

“The new manager should be given time to do things his way and, if he wants something, just give it to him. The chairman, if he loves the football club — not as a business, but as a club — would do that. I’m devastated that Alan hasn’t got the job. We haven’t got a clue what’s going on.”

Finally. Finally, a representative of Newcastle articulates the frustration and impotence of a summer beset by idling turmoil. For the record, the club do not have a chairman — they have an owner in Mike Ashley and a managing director in Derek Llambias — but Taylor cannot be accused of dissembling. He has bulldozed a path through a mountain range of rubbish.

Related Links

* Newcastle for sale for £20m down payment

* Newcastle fans’ loyalty has meant anguish

* Shearer back in the frame for Newcastle

Saturday has arrived and it has reached a point that still feels implausible. Newcastle have no manager. They have signed no players.

Three months after putting the relegated club on the market and after reported bids from Malaysians, Iranians, Irishmen, South Africans and Americans, Ashley is negotiating with Barry Moat, a Tyneside businessman.

There is only one kind of sense to be made of it: nonsense. Yet there are also some brutal truths to confront. Newcastle play their first match in the Coca-Cola Championship away to West Bromwich Albion this evening and the unreality of recent events will soon become . . . well, reality. Players have been left to rot or organise themselves.

“We’re taking responsibility,” Taylor said. “Who is going to help us? Relegation has brought us closer together. Last year, we probably thought we were too good to good to go down. It was boring around the place. It just felt dead. There was no life until people realised we could get relegated.

“Until Alan took charge, we didn’t have meetings. People would walk into the changing rooms and out on to the training pitch and I wouldn’t see some lads until we were out there. Now we mix for an hour or so before we go out. We feel more humble and we didn’t have that last year.

“Now, if set-pieces aren’t right, we practise until they are. Last season, it was almost a case of thinking ‘they’ll be okay on Saturday’ . They weren’t. Maybe it was a lack of leadership. We have to hold our hands up, admit our mistakes and put them right.

“There’s no big ‘I am’. We are Championship players. It feels like us against the world.”

For Taylor, demotion was excruciating. “It has been the lowest point of my career,” he said. “Devastating. As a professional footballer, relegation is the worst thing to have on your CV and it’s horrible knowing that you were part of a team that went down. Worse than a kick in the crown jewels.

“People on the street don’t let you forget. I remember the whistle going at Villa Park and putting my head in my hands. I couldn’t believe it. I looked across to the fans and I saw six hard nuts — skinheads — and they were crying their eyes out.”

The overwhelming annoyance is that, for all of his inexperience, Shearer had a plan to lead Newcastle out of the morass as well as a resonance with supporters. Having been described by Llambias as the “perfect appointment”, the former England captain will be at The Hawthorns, but only as a representative of the BBC.

“You try to look forward and think, ‘It’s going to get better — a new manager, the club will be sold and we’ll get an owner who cares about the club,’ ” Taylor said. “When Alan came in with Iain Dowie, he got us playing with a smile on our faces again. We had a bit of fun, but when it came to the serious stuff, we did it.

“Alan has an aura. When he speaks you listen, whatever he says, you do it. In the past, a lot of players might not have respected managers for various reasons — but you would never kick up a fuss with Alan Shearer.

“This club needs something like that — someone who cares, who knows what it means, especially to the fans. But you need the backing of the chairman as well. If Alan says he needs this or needs that, it’s because he does. He knows what’s right.” At present, far too much is wrong.

“Until Alan took charge, we didn’t have meetings. People would walk into the changing rooms and out on to the training pitch and I wouldn’t see some lads until we were out there. Now we mix for an hour or so before we go out. We feel more humble and we didn’t have that last year.

Nice one Joesph you fat fucking turd.

Edited by JUICE690

“When Alan came in with Iain Dowie, he got us playing with a smile on our faces again. We had a bit of fun, but when it came to the serious stuff, we did it".

That's the bit that gets me!

If he thinks that by getting 5 points from 24 that they "did it" then he is suggesting that by obtaining 28 points (20.833% of those available) that would be acceptable too.

I think not, daft tw*t!!!

:lol:

And to think people on here took the piss out of him for showing some love for the club. He can do all the arm pumping and badge kissing he wants for me. If we had 10 more like him we wouldnt have been relegated. Why the fuck we chose mute boy Michael Owen to be captain over Taylor is beyond me!

"When Alan came in with Iain Dowie, he got us playing with a smile on our faces again. We had a bit of fun, but when it came to the serious stuff, we did it".

That's the bit that gets me!

If he thinks that by getting 5 points from 24 that they "did it" then he is suggesting that by obtaining 28 points (20.833% of those available) that would be acceptable too.

I think not, daft tw*t!!!

This is where statistics pervert the truth.

As much as he didn't do too well results wise he did galvanise the team and fans and had he been 10 games earlier we would have been fine.

8 Games sounds a lot but when you think 4 of them were Stoke, Aston Villa, Tottenham and Liverpool away - those are four very hard games.

The other two hard games at home versus Chelsea and Fulham - apart from perhaps Middlesbrough and Portsmouth which we got 4 points from.

He's talking about the training you twat.

I don't think so marra!

Please read the article again.

He talked about training - sure, but then went on from that to say "“When Alan came in with Iain Dowie, he got us playing with a smile on our faces again. We had a bit of fun, but when it came to the serious stuff, we did it".

If training is the "serious stuff" then, yes, I am a "twat".

I, though, think training is a prelude to the "serious stuff", where points are at stake.

We, obviously, will have to agree to differ on that!!

Taylor's comments illuminate just how unprofessional the management last season was before Shearer. Shows why we were so woeful at set pieces and could barely take a throw in without handing the ball back to the oppoistion. Training was a farce, team spirit non existent and the players were getting away with murder.

I don't think so marra!

He talked about training - sure, but then went on from that to say "“When Alan came in with Iain Dowie, he got us playing with a smile on our faces again. We had a bit of fun, but when it came to the serious stuff, we did it".

I, though, think training is a prelude to the "serious stuff", where points are at stake.

:panic:

He's clearly talking about Shearer sorting out the ridiculous state the club had been brought to morale, discipline and training-wise by the series of Keegan leaving/no manager and up for sale/JFK and still up for sale/JFK getting ill and no manager (although if rumours are true JFK was basically the same as no manager).... which, of course, goes on to effect results on the pitch.

Not stating that Shearer's run of games was somehow "successful". So yes you are a twat. :aye:

It seemed, for example, bizarre how they kept fucking up set pieces in the same way and giving really soft goals (and even did under Shearer IFRC), but given what he's saying about training it's probably a miracle we didn't concede even more like that. :lol:

Edited by Fop

I don't think so marra!

:aye:

He's clearly talking about Shearer sorting out the ridiculous state the club had been brought to morale, discipline and training-wise by the series of Keegan leaving/no manager and up for sale/JFK and still up for sale/JFK getting ill and no manager (although if rumours are true JFK was basically the same as no manager).... which, of course, goes on to effect results on the pitch.

Not stating that Shearer's run of games was somehow "successful". So yes you are a twat. :aye:

It seemed, for example, bizarre how they kept fucking up set pieces in the same way and giving really soft goals (and even did under Shearer IFRC), but given what he's saying about training it's probably a miracle we didn't concede even more like that. :lol:

Cheers marra.

One question though.

When is it serious for you?

Training or matchday?

A one word answer will suffice.

I don't think so marra!

Cheers marra.

One question though.

Training or matchday?

I think the two go hand in hand, don't you?

I don't think so marra!

Not stating that Shearer's run of games was somehow "successful". So yes you are a twat. :rant:

Cheers marra.

One question though.

Training or matchday?

I can see where you are coming from but, I would repeat (with qualification).

When does it mean more to a player/should it mean more to a player?

When does it mean more to you/should it mean more to you?

Training or matchday?

I know my answer to that.

Matchday!!!!!!

RK (allegedly) fell into the trap of selecting the "best" trainers, who then showed no balls on matchday!

For me, everything else is/can only be a preparation/preliminary for that.

I don't think so marra!

Not stating that Shearer's run of games was somehow "successful". So yes you are a twat. :rant:

Cheers marra.

One question though.

Training or matchday?

I can see where you are coming from but, I would repeat (with qualification).

When does it mean more to a player/should it mean more to a player?

When does it mean more to you/should it mean more to you?

Training or matchday?

I know my answer to that.

Matchday!!!!!!

RK (allegedly) fell into the trap of selecting the "best" trainers, who then showed no balls on matchday!

For me, everything else is/can only be a preparation/preliminary for that.

No one is saying it does mean more to a player. What the players are talking about and were talking about when Shearer first arrived is that it was a shambles under Kinnear and it was far better in terms of training, preparation and discipline under Shearer. It would seem most of them had a respect for Shearer that they clearly didn't have for Kinnear. I'd say that there is obviously a question mark about whether Shearer can do the business and the results when he took over weren't good enough to keep us up. However, I don't think they mean he's the wrong person for the job any more than getting an extra point or whatever would have meant he was the correct person for the job. What is clear to anyone with half a brain is that he's a far better option than Kinnear. I think the players coming out and saying as much tells you everything you need to know as well.

Edited by alex

I don't think so marra!

Cheers marra.

One question though.

Training or matchday?

Quite clearly both, why would you think otherwise? :nufc:

It'd would be fair enough to have a piss around whilst just doing general fitness work (and would in fact help the monotony), but pay quite serious attention when you're being drilled not to let another ridculously soft corner in, even if it's not "fun" doing it 50 times till you get it right.

Or do Sunderland players habitually dress up in Laurel and Hardy outfits and only slip out of them for competitive games? :panic:

I don't think so marra!

:rant:

Not stating that Shearer's run of games was somehow "successful". So yes you are a twat. :nufc:

Cheers marra.

One question though.

Training or matchday?

It'd would be fair enough to have a piss around whilst just doing general fitness work (and would in fact help the monotony), but pay quite serious attention when you're being drilled not to let another ridculously soft corner in, even if it's not "fun" doing it 50 times till you get it right.

Or do Sunderland players habitually dress up in Laurel and Hardy outfits and only slip out of them for competitive games? :panic:

I dunno marra, but that bit made me not only smile but giggle - girly, I know but!

I reckon that we both know what it's like to have players extracting the water, as both clubs have had their fair share of them.

My thoughts on serious, though, still stand.

If this board (or any other) were to conduct a poll on what supporters considered to be the serious business, I think that, probably 90%+ would agree that matchday performances/results are considered serious in their eyes - training only can facilitate that and never be an end in itself.

On the other hand, if I'm wrong this could be another Fine Mess You’ve Gotten Us Into!

I don't think so marra!

:rant:

Not stating that Shearer's run of games was somehow "successful". So yes you are a twat. :nufc:

Cheers marra.

One question though.

Training or matchday?

I dunno marra, but that bit made me not only smile but giggle - girly, I know but!

I reckon that we both know what it's like to have players extracting the water, as both clubs have had their fair share of them.

My thoughts on serious, though, still stand.

If this board (or any other) were to conduct a poll on what supporters considered to be the serious business, I think that, probably 90%+ would agree that matchday performances/results are considered serious in their eyes - training only can facilitate that and never be an end in itself.

On the other hand, if I'm wrong this could be another Fine Mess You’ve Gotten Us Into!

It got us relegated, which is pretty serious. Without several shocking goals that a school team should have known how to defend against we'd have got that extra point. Can't get much more serious than that. :nufc: