Small town mentality

Kid Dynamite

As most people know, im from Chester-Le-Street. I lived in Leeds for 3 years, America for 6 months and did a fair bit of travelling which I like to think broadened my horizons a little. A large proportion of my friends from school however left at 16, still do the same job now that they did 10 years ago and their whole life revolves around going down the front street on Saturday night. Once a year they go to Blackpool.

Now when I was 17/18 I was down the front street every weekend, it was new to us and a right laugh, but as the years wore on you began to realise that in a small town its the same people out on the same nights in the same pubs, stood at the same tables and even playing the same tunes at the same times during the night! It really was like groundhog day.

Now that we are approaching 30 and earn a bit more money I assumed our social lives could expand a little? Maybe a night out in newcastle every other week? Some fun activities like going paintballing, go karting? Maybe even go mad and have a weekend in Barcelona or take in an away match in London?

But no, these suggestion are usually met with 'I owe me mam board money', 'If we go there we wont be back in time for 7oclock to go drinking on the front street', 'I dont really do things during the week cos i like to save my money for Saturday night'

Most of my mates still live at home, some dont even own a car. My best recently organised my stag do in vegas and gave everyone a years notice. 4 out of 10 of them are coming with the rest asking why we couldnt just go to Blackpool for the weekend!

I suppose my question is, am I alone in having been lumbered with shit friends, or does this small town syndrome affect people from places other than Chester-Le-Street

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As most people know, im from Chester-Le-Street. I lived in Leeds for 3 years, America for 6 months and did a fair bit of travelling which I like to think broadened my horizons a little. A large proportion of my friends from school however left at 16, still do the same job now that they did 10 years ago and their whole life revolves around going down the front street on Saturday night. Once a year they go to Blackpool.

Now when I was 17/18 I was down the front street every weekend, it was new to us and a right laugh, but as the years wore on you began to realise that in a small town its the same people out on the same nights in the same pubs, stood at the same tables and even playing the same tunes at the same times during the night! It really was like groundhog day.

Now that we are approaching 30 and earn a bit more money I assumed our social lives could expand a little? Maybe a night out in newcastle every other week? Some fun activities like going paintballing, go karting? Maybe even go mad and have a weekend in Barcelona or take in an away match in London?

But no, these suggestion are usually met with 'I owe me mam board money', 'If we go there we wont be back in time for 7oclock to go drinking on the front street', 'I dont really do things during the week cos i like to save my money for Saturday night'

Most of my mates still live at home, some dont even own a car. My best recently organised my stag do in vegas and gave everyone a years notice. 4 out of 10 of them are coming with the rest asking why we couldnt just go to Blackpool for the weekend!

I suppose my question is, am I alone in having been lumbered with shit friends, or does this small town syndrome affect people from places other than Chester-Le-Street

Your mates still live with their mother's when approaching 30?

You need to fuck them over mate.

Your far too cool for them, can I knock about with you?

Btw, if the truth be known I bet the other six are over the moon that your having your stag in vegas so they don't have to go, you boring non drinking cunt.

Its got fuck all to do with being cool. I take it youve been drinking in Byker every saturday for the last 15 years :lol:

Btw, if the truth be known I bet the other six are over the moon that your having your stag in vegas so they don't have to go, you boring non drinking cunt.

Its got fuck all to do with being cool. I take it youve been drinking in Byker every saturday for the last 15 years :lol:

Aye, we aye I have, get a nose bleed if I leave the place :panic:

You've got some opinion of yourself you lad and the funny thing is you're that far up your own arse you can't even see how much of a prick you come across as. I was serious about your mates wanting fuck all to do with your stag do btw. I couldn't think of anything worse than taking a non drinking mate to Vegas for the weekend. I mean everyone else will be getting smashed and the groom will be sitting stone cold sober looking down his nose at them for being drunk.

What a wanker!

The mates I've got who stayed in the village are the same KD I wouldn't worry about it. Just get other mates. The only time the lads go to Newcastle is when I'm back and spit my dummy out when Blyth is suggested. Mate of mine is getting divorced, so to cheer him up I suggested we all take a weekend on the south coast or something. Or even if they wanted to come to London and just chill. They said they couldn't afford it. Despite the fact three in a car would cost maybe £80 tops and the weekend would cost maybe £50 each night. Now fair enough if that's any more than what they spend normally. But it's not. It's just outside there comfort zone.

At the end of the day they're happy doing the same thing every weekend and if you're not just make friends with people who share your interests... Ah I see your problem.

:lol:

:panic:

I think it's almost indoctrinated into these people I really do.

They reject most things outside of the norm and mock them for being different because they never experience anything different themselves, or listen to decent music, or read good books. They are happy to wait for the next place like Chicago rock to be built so they can listen to the same music as down the road but in a different building with different drinks prices and of course they are so close to home it doesn't matter how pissed they get.

Chester-Le-Street is a cultural blind spot mostly packed with half wits and charvas who will aspire to be half wits, although in honesty a lot of the charvas get reasonable jobs and learn to drive.

Durham isn't far from being the same, the only thing that holds it above is the colleges, the beautiful scenery and the history carved into the place.

There needs to be some kind of expansion after School whether educational, cultural or both. Some people manage to neglect both and nothing changes for them.

Thing is Tom, if Joe Bloggs is happy going to Blu Bambu every Friday at 9 and stays til 2 buys a kebab from Munchies2 then get the same taxi firm to pick them up and take them home where they crawl into bed beside the lass they've been with since high school... Then who're you to say they should change. Don't get me wrong I think everybody should pack their lives with as much variety as possible. But that doesn't mean I'm right

Tbf you'll struggle to find many better pubs in the whole city than Tanners or the Cumberland. Then if you just take a little walk down to Ouseburn you have the Free Trade, Ship and the Tyne.

As a matter of fact I'd say all along that area has the best selection of pubs in the whole city.

Although I bet Wacky just drinks in the Butchers Arms. :panic:

:lol: Was just a bit of background info as to maybe why I have slightly more ambitious ideas surrounding 'fun'

I mean im not saying im a total billy, I have the odd night out in chester and often go to town with the football lads or work mates, but i actually have better craic with the lads I grew up with. Just wish they would fancy a bit of variety every now and again!

Well the answer is simple get more mates, or go with your existing mates to where ever it is they want to go.

Either way, this sounds more like you complaining about not getting what you want to do (which is way cooler than what your mates want to do), rather than looking for an actual solution.

I think it's almost indoctrinated into these people I really do.

They reject most things outside of the norm and mock them for being different because they never experience anything different themselves, or listen to decent music, or read good books. They are happy to wait for the next place like Chicago rock to be built so they can listen to the same music as down the road but in a different building with different drinks prices and of course they are so close to home it doesn't matter how pissed they get.

Chester-Le-Street is a cultural blind spot mostly packed with half wits and charvas who will aspire to be half wits, although in honesty a lot of the charvas get reasonable jobs and learn to drive.

Durham isn't far from being the same, the only thing that holds it above is the colleges, the beautiful scenery and the history carved into the place.

There needs to be some kind of expansion after School whether educational, cultural or both. Some people manage to neglect both and nothing changes for them.

I positively spunk in my pants if I can convince my mates to go to loveshack on a weeknight :lol:

:lol:

Ouch, Loveshack is a place to avoid for me :panic:

Generally Newcastle is the place to go for most things whether it's football, drinking, clothes shopping, guitar shopping whatever.

But I suppose the £40 taxi might put your mates off!

I think Vegas was probably a bad example perhaps KD meant somewhere other than Blackpool or Chester-Le-Street front street.

What about the lakes or something?

You could even drive them there.

Aye I've always thought that a bit of a twatty thing to do. I mean, if you want to go to Vegas before you get hitched, fine, but make it a holiday with you and your best man first, not a stag-do. Stag-Do means which ever of your mates don't go are painted in a negative light.

I know that when and if I ever get married I'd want a get-together with "the lads" but I'd probably want some kind of blow-out holiday with the Best Man and a couple of others.

It's like people who fuck off to Spain to get married and invite all their friends, meaning they've all got to spend a stack of cash or be labelled a bad friend. If you want to get married in Spain, fine, but tell your friends you're having a shindig in England before/after to celebrate the marriage, don't be a twat and expect them to fork out a fuck load on a holiday that they probably weren't planning on taking.

:lol: Was just a bit of background info as to maybe why I have slightly more ambitious ideas surrounding 'fun'

Leave it out next time and I might read the rest of your posts :panic:

It's a bit much to ask people who still live at home to fork out for a stag do to Las Vegas.

You're talking a grand before you've seen the frills of a strippers knickers.

It cost £510 for 4 nights in Caesars Palace including flights. And I guarantee that my mates who live at home without cars have about 3 times as much expendable income as me. They are raking in nigh on a grand a month. Thats not the issue anyway, if they cant afford it then fair enough, it seems most of them just dont feel comfortable leaving home if its for anywhere other than Blackpool or Magaluf.

Did you know ive nearly finished my Msc. Im one degree away from being a Dr :aye:

Did you know ive nearly finished my Msc. Im one degree away from being a Dr :aye:

Yeah, because you've mentioned it numerous occasions.