Shearer still loves us

Kid Dynamite

Alan Shearer has told BBC Sport he is keen to return as manager of Newcastle United, but admits he has no extra information as to the club's future.

Owner Mike Ashley is hoping to sell the relegated club, and although Shearer is at their game with West Brom it is as a pundit rather than manager.

"I'm still in limbo," said Shearer. "I wanted it sorted either way because of my love for the football club.

"I'd dearly love the chance to finish what I started last season."

Earlier in the week, former Newcastle boss Joe Kinnear said he had rejected the offer of a two-year deal to return as manager.

Newcastle need players quickly and it could be a long, hard season if that doesn't happen

Alan Shearer

Shearer said his own discussions with Ashley had not progressed since the end of last season, which saw Newcastle relegated from the Premier League.

"As far as I'm aware the club's up for sale, they haven't got a buyer," Shearer said on Football Focus.

"My last conversation with Mike Ashley was on the Tuesday after we'd been relegated.

"I told him the players I wanted to keep, the players I thought had to be moved on, and the players I wanted to bring in.

"He said he wasn't going to put any more money into the club, and that is it as far as I'm aware."

Tyneside businessman Barry Moat is a candidate to buy the club, and Shearer admitted Moat - who helped organise the former Newcastle striker's testimonial - is a good friend.

"He's a friend of mine but I've been away on holiday and just got back in last night," said Shearer.

"I could be the manager if someone comes in, buys the club and wants me as manager.

"If they want to get the club back up to the Premier League I'd dearly love the chance to finish what I started last season, which was very disappointing.

"But other than that, you have to believe me, I don't really know."

Shearer expressed concern that Newcastle would struggle on the pitch in the Championship unless the team's off-field problems were swiftly rectified, allowing a new manager to strengthen a squad whose departures have included Michael Owen, Obafemi Martins, Mark Viduka, Habib Beye and Sebastien Bassong.

"Newcastle's squad was thin last season, and when you consider the players who have gone out, that tells a story.

"They need players quickly and it could be a long, hard season if that doesn't happen."

Shearer also paid tribute to another former Newcastle United manager, Sir Bobby Robson, who died last month, and under whom Shearer played at St James' Park for five years.

"Not many people knew the real Bobby Robson, but the people who played under him knew him as a man," he said.

"It was a privilege and an honour. He had a great knack of getting the best out of all players irrespective of their age - a 19-year-old earning a fortune or a 36-year-old at the end of his career.

"I've not known anyone have a bad word for Bobby, and in football there's not many people you can say that about."

"I've not known anyone have a bad word for Bobby, and in football there's not many people you can say that about."

About that as an aside... it's quite an achievement in itself by Bobby to have been so successful and so universal loved. Not easy to be both a respected authority figure and still come out as mister nice guy.

I'm sure he had his rants, bust ups, grumpy times and practices a lot of tough love but no surprises that he probably dealt with everything in a constructive way.

That last line is Shearers, not miine btw

We are lucky Shearers from Newcastle cos any other man of his standing would have told us to publicly go and fuck ourselves a long time ago!

I dont care about the argument against him having no experience and having a poor 8 games for us. Most of the squad were willing to put there international careers on hold for a year to get us back into the premiership under him. Hes got the respect of his colleagues and is probably the only man left who can draw in new players to the club and get us back up. I hope someone fucking loses it and assasinates Mike Ashley, i really do!

Edited by Kid Dynamite

• 2 weeks later...
End of the week.

I've had an image bouncing round my head for days now; a gravestone on Strawberry place reading "NUFC 1892 - End of the Week" :D

End of the week.

I've had an image bouncing round my head for days now; a gravestone on Strawberry place reading "NUFC 1892 - End of the Week" :D

For me it's too many months not just days, but I feel relaxed, and I'm off to re-instate my ST this after, and I have been determined under Assley that I woud spend nowt on NUFC,

Mainly cos I think there could be a rush for tickets after Friday.

Someone mentioned to me last night how Shearer highly recommended Bassong to Redknapp.

The lad telling me took it as a turncoat thing to do, but i suppose it could equally be seen as driving for a high price.

Been advised there will be an announcement on Friday, also heard couple more interesting snippets, Shearer was definitely at the training ground when Assley turned up in his copter and expect John Carver and not Dowie.

From a reliable sauce.

Arent they always...

I could really do with getting some work done and not hitting F5 all day :D

Someone mentioned to me last night how Shearer highly recommended Bassong to Redknapp.

The lad telling me took it as a turncoat thing to do, but i suppose it could equally be seen as driving for a high price.

I honestly think Bassong would have left Shearer or no Shearer. French twats.

I also heard the same, plus Beye.

Been advised there will be an announcement on Friday, also heard couple more interesting snippets, Shearer was definitely at the training ground when Assley turned up in his copter and expect John Carver and not Dowie.

From a reliable sauce.

You do understand if this doesn't happen it's a weekend ruiner? :D

So, no different to anyone currently at the club then? Apart from no one has actually come in for them.

From a reliable sauce.

I agree, but all I can do is tell you what I have been told, no embellishments whatsoever. The same person did not say that it would include new ownership, that apart I can only pray. And they have not sold Taylor, and that was one of the conditions that Shearer pu forward.

As I say I can only tell you what I have been told.

From a reliable sauce.

I agree, but all I can do is tell you what I have been told, no embellishments whatsoever. The same person did not say that it would include new ownership, that apart I can only pray. And they have not sold Taylor, and that was one of the conditions that Shearer pu forward.

Pfft.

From a reliable sauce.

Pfft.

WAS

Apparently Llambias was on the radio Newcastle:-

Taken from N-O

Llambias is on now (What a cock).

Says they're (Roberts lot) unrealistic in terms of timeline - and are "way behind".

Moat negotiations described as "there or thereabouts" and "hopeful".

Transfer deadline not seen as a deadline for the sale of the club.

Still working very closely with a number of people to achieve some sort of closure.

Players wise doesnt want to talk transfers. Most expensive wage bill in CCC (so you'd guess he's got his eye on further sales).

More people than the Moat Group are "further down the line" apparently.

Asked for patience.

Go fuck yourself.