Carroll next?

JawD

WEST HAM will launch a bid this week for Newcastle striker Andy Carroll.

The Magpies’ resolve to hang on to one of their brightest talents is set to be tested with an offer of £2-3 million.

London sources last night confirmed that Hammers’ boss Gianfranco Zola is keen to add Carroll to a bevy of young prospects at Upton Park.

The Gateshead-born 20-year-old was one of precious few players to emerge with credit from Newcastle’s relegation to the Championship.

And he is set to pass another milestone this week by earning his maiden England Under-21 cap against Holland on Tuesday night.

Carroll relished working under Alan Shearer at the back end of last season, and would have been reluctant to even consider leaving Newcastle if the legendary No 9 had been confirmed as full-time manager at St James’s Park.

But it now remains to be seen whether the hometown boy will be a tempted by a return to the Premier League - or if rudderless, cash-strapped Newcastle will decide to cash in on him.

link

I don't particularly rate him, but we need to keep him simply due to our options up front. In theory he would be a canny squad player for a team at this level, just shows the competition he has up front that he is starting.

Shola can fuck off though.

Would rather not sell him. Paper thin options up front and yesterday he showed enough to give you the sense he could be useful in the coming season. Put himself about well, is good in the air but needs someone alongside him that can read his flicks and play off him.

Stick someone mobile alongside him and he's a decent option at this level. What I quite like about him is he has a canny first touch.

Stick someone mobile alongside him and he's a decent option at this level. What I quite like about him is he has a canny first touch.

Have to admit that I wasn't paying 100% attention yesterday, but I'd like to see him play centre forward! Whenever I did see him, he seemed too far away from goal, with supershola playing CF.

Have to admit that I wasn't paying 100% attention yesterday, but I'd like to see him play centre forward! Whenever I did see him, he seemed too far away from goal, with supershola playing CF.

He's got to be the target man, hasn't he?

He's got to be the target man, hasn't he?

Without a doubt imo. If he can't score 10 headed goals a season alone (from decent crosses) I'm a Dutchman (unbelievable).

If West Ham really do offer £3M, does anyone think he won't be sold?

Yes.

You've more faith in whoever is doing the buying (ha!) and selling at NUFC than I have.

:lol::panic: Sorry. I misread your post. I thought you said 'would be sold' :aye: :aye:

If West Ham really do offer £3M, does anyone think he won't be sold?

Yes.

You've more faith in whoever is doing the buying (ha!) and selling at NUFC than I have.

:lol::panic: Sorry. I misread your post. I thought you said 'would be sold' :aye: :aye:

Then again, even Ashley wouldn't leave us with only Shola up front...........Would he?

Exactly, putting him and Shola together is clueless, but what you'd expect at this club. I think he has a good touch as well, and an awareness to bring team mates into the game and he could definitely do a job at this level, but pair him with a faster, more mobile striker to let him do his job alongside them.

I would be surprised if the story was true, given the story in the Daily Mail today (I know! Daily Mail) Thai time.

This one, though, sounds as though it could be based on fact.

Premier League clubs on alert as West Ham set to lose £10m Upson

By Rob Draper

Last updated at 10:49 PM on 08th August 2009

West Ham are set to lose England defender Matthew Upson after the club’s cash-strapped Icelandic owners ordered them to raise £10million from player sales before the close of the transfer window.

Despite previously stating that Gianfranco Zola would be under no pressure to sell players, Icelandic bank Straumur, who own West Ham through CB Holdings, have told chief executive Scott Duxbury he must raise cash in the coming weeks.

Straumur are desperately trying to stave off bankruptcy by pacifying their creditors and Upson is the most bankable asset at Upton Park.

The former Luton and Arsenal defender, 30, has previously been linked with Manchester City, in the event of Mark Hughes failing to prise Joleon Lescott out of Everton, and with Tottenham, but he might also be an attractive option for England’s four Champions League clubs.

Duxbury will have 17 hours longer than previously expected to raise the £10m because the Premier League have decided to extend the transfer window to 5pm on September 1 to take account of August 31 being Bank Holiday Monday.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...-10m-Upson.html

I agree with the earlier poihnt about him dropping back too much. I found that frustrating against WBA. Smith was playing the holding m/f role and even he was ahead of Carroll at times during the match.

He has a canny first touch imo and is one to keep a hold of. Also agree with the sentiments of not playing him with Shola. Just dont play Shola :lol: