Martins with a parting shot...

AmericanMag

Obafemi Martins claims he had no option but to leave Newcastle as the club was in such turmoil.

The Magpies were relegated from the Premier League at the end of last season and matters off the pitch have still not been resolved.

Owner Mike Ashley has been unable to sell the club, while there is no permanent manager in place and Chris Hughton had to take caretaker charge for the Championship opener against West Brom on Saturday.

Martins sealed a switch to Wolfsburg at the end of last month and he has now hit out at the current state of his former club.

"I was left with no option but to leave Newcastle. The place had become a total shambles," the Nigerian striker told the Sunday Mirror.

No communication

"No one seemed to know what was going on. The club was just left to drift after relegation and the worst thing was there was no communication with the players.

"The players were hoping that Alan Shearerwould get the manager's job, but the people supposedly running the club didn't seem capable of making a decision.

"And with no manager and most of the top players wanting out, I felt I had no future there."

Martins moved to St James' Park from Inter Milan in 2006 and he admits the club is now very different from the one he joined.

"It is sad to see how the club has gone downhill in the last couple of years," he said.

"There is absolutely no direction. The players are demoralised by the lack of leadership and I just can't see things getting better."

LINK

"It is sad to see how the club has gone downhill in the last couple of years," he said.

Bit of parity with yourself then eh Obafemi? :lol:

Obafemi Martins claims he had no option but to leave Newcastle as the club was in such turmoil.

The Magpies were relegated from the Premier League at the end of last season and matters off the pitch have still not been resolved.

Owner Mike Ashley has been unable to sell the club, while there is no permanent manager in place and Chris Hughton had to take caretaker charge for the Championship opener against West Brom on Saturday.

Martins sealed a switch to Wolfsburg at the end of last month and he has now hit out at the current state of his former club.

"I was left with no option but to leave Newcastle. The place had become a total shambles," the Nigerian striker told the Sunday Mirror.

No communication

"No one seemed to know what was going on. The club was just left to drift after relegation and the worst thing was there was no communication with the players.

"The players were hoping that Alan Shearerwould get the manager's job, but the people supposedly running the club didn't seem capable of making a decision.

"And with no manager and most of the top players wanting out, I felt I had no future there."

Martins moved to St James' Park from Inter Milan in 2006 and he admits the club is now very different from the one he joined.

"There is absolutely no direction. The players are demoralised by the lack of leadership and I just can't see things getting better."

LINK

the same player who said something like, when he reported for training after the fat cunt had bought the club "its a different club now, its a breath of fresh air"

Not the only fucker who didn't realise we had good directors.

I never rated him as a top player, and would personally have sold him over the past 2 years with the proviso that we would spend the money on a better player. His goals kept us up last season and maybe the one before too and he had value but he was too hit and miss for me, the best strikers consistently score goals close in, they have composure, although his pace made him a worry to the opposition.

As I posted yesterday, despite yesterdays spirited performance which surprised me, we are in grave danger of dropping straight down unless something changes and fast.

As I posted yesterday, despite yesterdays spirited performance which surprised me, we are in grave danger of dropping straight down unless something changes and fast.

Deja vu... starting the season off with a 1-1 draw away from home against one of the sides fancied to win the league.... :lol:

It always helps when players turn up on time for training, or at all.

I believe there was an attempt on his life by a gunman at Washington Services. At least that's what he told Chris Hughton......

• 3 weeks later...
it's a good thing that the city is a relatively small one. That will help me concentrate on football."

What were you saying Pud about his pad having to be 'fumigated'??

No communication

LINK

the same player who said something like, when he reported for training after the fat cunt had bought the club "its a different club now, its a breath of fresh air"

Not the only fucker who didn't realise we had good directors.

I never rated him as a top player, and would personally have sold him over the past 2 years with the proviso that we would spend the money on a better player. His goals kept us up last season and maybe the one before too and he had value but he was too hit and miss for me, the best strikers consistently score goals close in, they have composure, although his pace made him a worry to the opposition.

They did? ;)

:cry:

It always helps when players turn up on time for training, or at all.

I believe there was an attempt on his life by a gunman at Washington Services. At least that's what he told Chris Hughton......

Bullets and water pistols flying all over. Someone dropped a cornetto.

• 2 months later...

Just to infury Ant even more, some news about his incredible dumb idol as seen on .com...

From the Mail, Thursday:

A former Premiership footballer routinely blew his £75,000 a week wages in a matter of days and was constantly overdrawn, a court was told yesterday.

Ex-Newcastle striker Obafemi Martins, 25, was paid the handsome salary after he joined the club for a £10million fee in August 2006.

But despite his extraordinary earnings, his former management team yesterday claimed they repeatedly bailed him out after his bank account continually slipped into the red.

The High Court heard that the Nigerian international player would withdraw £40,000 in cash from his bank account at the end of the week.

But that would only last him two days, the court heard, as he topped up with a further £25,000 on the Monday morning.

He was always overdrawn and repeatedly relied upon NVA Management Limited to 'manage his life', the High Court was told.

Martins, who owned several fast cars including a top of the range Porsche 4X4, spent the money funding an extravagant lifestyle of luxurious penthouse homes and fine dining.

He is now being sued by his former management company who claim that he still owes them 300,000 for sorting out his finances.

Robert Tennink, for NVA, said: 'Day to day life with superstars is demanding and superstars are demanding.'

He told the court that Martins would withdraw £40,000 for the weekend, followed by another £25,000 on the Monday. 'Despite earning these vast sums of money he was constantly overdrawn,' added Mr Tennink.

He said the firm, which looks after the affairs of several footballers, film and music stars, said that Martins had agreed to pay them for simply managing his life.

It was under their stewardship that Martins agreed a £2million image rights deal 'simply for being Mr Martins'.

It's claimed Martins was constantly overdrawn despite earning £75,000-a-week. He also had lucrative sponsorship deals with various companies including Pepsi and Nike but had not been paid.

When the company stepped in to run his affairs they sorted the unpaid contracts, bringing in thousands of pounds.

They also organised visas when he travelled to Italy, where he once played for Inter Milan, and sorted out his passport, his mortgage and property valuations.

They even arranged critical illness cover and were constantly running up and down the motorway from their London offices to Newcastle in a bid to do all that he required.

'But surely these were things a secretary could do?' asked Judge Richard Seymour QC, referring to the size of fees charged. 'It was a Jeeves-type of role that they performed.'

Mr Tennink protested that managing every aspect of his life was just part of what they did, and asked the judge to bear in mind the sort of figures these players earned.

He said Martins had come to them in July 2007 and agreed a fee of around £300,000 plus 20 per cent of any sponsorship monies they managed to acquire on his behalf.

'He asked for these services to be carried out,' Mr Tennink told the court.

Before they managed his affairs Martins had not been paid a penny for his image rights for the use of his name on Newcastle shirts and mugs and had received nothing from his sponsorship deals.

He could not even find the contracts he had originally signed, Mr Tennink added.

Martins paid the company £67,500 in January last year and another £25,000 in April last year.

But the question for the court to decide, said Mr Tennink, was whether there was a 'binding obligation' for him to pay the outstanding bill of over £300,000.

After Newcastle were relegated from the Premiership last summer Martins was sold for £9million to German Bundesliga Champions Wolfsburg.

Martins, who once owned a penthouse apartment overlooking Newcastle's exclusive Quayside, is fighting the claim. The hearing is scheduled to last for three days.

I am not sure what has been actually more stupid: Paying him 75k a week or spending it...

Edited by Isegrim