Firefox - maxing out CPU

Craig

Right this one has thrown me so I'm offering it to you guys - see if you can come up with an explanation.

I've been using Firefox quite happily on my PC for months now with multiple (about 9 or 10) tabs open at any one time. Last night the machine was running like an absolute bitch and on closer inspection, I found that it was only the case when Firefox was open.

I've cleared down private data and re-installed the app - no change.

Now for the really freaky bit.... my work's PC is doing exactly the same! (Same make/model but with different O/S - WXP SP2 at work, Vista Business Ed at home).

Any clues?

have you just updated firefox? or installed an addon?

Not installed an add-on but think it did an update a couple of days back. Is there a way to roll it back?

I had the same thing right after I updated to 3.5.1 a few weeks back. PC ran like absolute garbage.

I'm not running 3.5.2. It's better- still fucks up and doesn't close down all the way (thereby continuing to run in the background eating up cycles), but it's a sight better than 3.5 or 3.5.1.

Yes and yes

Well Gemmill's preconceptions would dictate that it's probably something to do with a site you are looking at, or something that runs from that site (flash or java can do it - so flashblock and noscript), or maybe try deleting the prefetch file. :lol:

Right this one has thrown me so I'm offering it to you guys - see if you can come up with an explanation.

I've been using Firefox quite happily on my PC for months now with multiple (about 9 or 10) tabs open at any one time. Last night the machine was running like an absolute bitch and on closer inspection, I found that it was only the case when Firefox was open.

I've cleared down private data and re-installed the app - no change.

Now for the really freaky bit.... my work's PC is doing exactly the same! (Same make/model but with different O/S - WXP SP2 at work, Vista Business Ed at home).

Any clues?

Didnt we have a DDOS attack yesterday?

related?

More straight forward than I thought. Ran the Dell diagnostics tool which first off found a failed CPU fan (thought it'd had been a bit quiet and getting a tad warm recently) but then more worrying, the diagnostics program crashed and re-booted the laptop!

Dell reckons it's the motherboard, it's out of warranty. I reckon work are ordering me a new laptop then :icon_lol:

More straight forward than I thought. Ran the Dell diagnostics tool which first off found a failed CPU fan (thought it'd had been a bit quiet and getting a tad warm recently) but then more worrying, the diagnostics program crashed and re-booted the laptop!

Dell reckons it's the motherboard, it's out of warranty. I reckon work are ordering me a new laptop then :icon_lol:

On both machines? :)

On both machines? :nufc:

Same machine - different hard-drive..... so long as you don't bother with the holding screws, modern laptops are as good as hot-swappable! :D

Dell reckons it's the motherboard, it's out of warranty. I reckon work are ordering me a new laptop then :nufc:

On both machines? :lol:

Same machine - different hard-drive..... so long as you don't bother with the holding screws, modern laptops are as good as hot-swappable! :D

You might have mentioned that. :icon_lol: