Two more years ....

Geordiejihad

Kinnear was just delighted to have a job. O'Leary would be the same, I'd imagine.

I was just reading up on his Villa tenure there, which I had down as a total failure. It seems it wasn't too bad. A brilliant 1st season(bringing them from 16th to 6th), a poorer 2nd season(with little or no transfer funds), finishing 10th, then a poor 3rd season-16th. Where they had a disasterous patch with ony 1 fit centre back. He openly criticised Ellis for not backing him as promised in the market, and the players sent a letter to Ellis saying the same thing. He left the club by 'mutual consent'.

Some of his transfers :

Kevin Phillips

Baros

Martin Laursen

Carlton Cole

Nobby Solano

I read this article/interview on him just now. He seems an utter knob.

Former Aston Villa Manager David O'Leary: Jose Mourinho Rates Me

The man who took Leeds United to the semi-finals of the Champions League has revealed that the 'Special One' holds him in high esteem...

28 Jun 2009 19:38:54

David O'Leary, the former Arsenal defender who went on to enjoy success as a manager with Leeds United and Aston Villa, has revealed that Inter boss Jose Mourinho is a significant ally in his search for a return to management.

O'Leary has stated that he is keen to make a return to top-level management as soon as possible, and Mourinho might be only to happy to provide him with a reference.

"I’ve had requests to go back into football and it’s not me bigging myself up or thinking I deserve a bigger job but I just felt that the jobs weren’t right in any way," the Irishman explained to The Daily Mail.

"I’ve had lots of offers mainly from abroad and I think that can only come from people remembering Leeds in the Champions League.

"Some with loads and loads of dollars. Jose Mourinho was very good and recommended me for a really big job but I just felt I couldn’t live where it was with the family really. That was about six or seven months ago.

"We’re not friends but Jose has always kind of rated me if you know what I mean. He was asked a question to recommend somebody for something or put them up and I was very grateful that he did it.

"When I thanked him he said, 'David, I wasn’t doing you a favour even though I like you, it’s because I rate you' and that’s his attitude.

‘I saw [Fabio] Capello at the soccer writers’ function the other week and he came down from the top table and said 'when are you bloody getting back in the game'?

"It was nice getting that from Capello. A lot of them know that you’re too good to be out of it. That’s not me trying to big myself up. People in the game know how difficult Doug Ellis and Aston Villa was."

O'Leary also feels that his record at Aston Villa stands up against that of his successor Martin O'Neill, especially with regard to the funds which were available to him to spend in the transfer market.

"I came in thinking Doug Ellis would go and I’d be the lucky one that Martin O’Neill is now," he added.

"I gave honest opinions at the end of that year [2005-06] saying we need investment here. I was hoping I would be the one that was there when Randy Lerner came in.

"I read people now and they like Martin. He’s media savvy and he’s saying he’s dealing with a young, small squad. Yet, when I said that it was 'Oh, he’s making excuses'. I said the club needed investment to keep it alive. Why did Martin need £50 million this summer?

"At the end of the day, Martin, for all the money he has spent over three years - and they’re raving about him - hasn’t finished any higher than what I finished. Those are the facts."

Edited by Barney

about Mourinho

"When I thanked him he said, 'David, I wasn’t doing you a favour even though I like you, it’s because I rate you' ...

about Capello

‘I saw [Fabio] Capello at the soccer writers’ function the other week and he came down from the top table and said 'when are you bloody getting back in the game'?

"It was nice getting that from Capello. A lot of them know that you’re too good to be out of it. That’s not me trying to big myself up.

What a penis.

IIRC he was nearly chased out of Villa park on the last day of the season, despite the lack of funds and his excuses, I think the fans were sick of him.

Edited by Barney

How can someone give a reference for someone they've never worked with? It's as likely as Capello saying 'bloody'.

I know. The man speaks very basic almost 'book taught' English I doubt very much that featured slang. :mellow:

what I didn’t like was the shape of his nose of all things. Its one of them pointy up noses.

So whenever he was on camera bigging himself up all the time you were always looking straight up his nostrils.

— there you go!

what I didn’t like was the shape of his nose of all things. Its one of them pointy up noses.

So whenever he was on camera bigging himself up all the time you were always looking straight up his nostrils.

— there you go!

Manbearpig.

— there you go!

League of gentlemen?

— there you go!

League of gentlemen?

no never watched that, just a random observation!