Thursdays Gossip Column

Scottish Mag

THE SUN

Arsenal face a nail-biting wait until Tuesday to see if Cesc Fabregas joins Barcelona.

Arsenal have pulled out of the race for Bordeaux striker Marouane Chamakh.

Steven Gerrard believes Manchester City could be Premier League title challengers this season.

Real Madrid striker Alavaro Negredo wants to join Hull.

Newcastle could swoop for Watford duo Tommy Smith and Jay DeMerit.

Besiktas are about to make a £1million bid for Reading's Turkish Under-21 international Jem Karacan.

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson is trying to wrap up a £5million deal for goalkeeper Manuel Neuer before Bayern Munich increase their bid.

Sam Allardyce is on the verge bringing Paris Saint-Germain star Jerome Rothen to Blackburn for £2million.

Leicester are ready to join the race to sign Leeds striker Jermaine Beckford.

DAILY MIRROR

Rafael Benitez insists Liverpool have not taken a gamble on injured new signing Alberto Aquilani.

West Ham want Marouane Chamakh after Arsenal ended their chase for the Bordeaux striker.

Manchester City want to see Joleon Lescott's injury records - before making a new bid for the Everton defender.

Burnley boss Owen Coyle hopes to sign Reading defender Andre Bikey for £2.8million.

Argentina defender Renato Civelli wants to rekindle a proposed move to Blackburn.

Afonso Alves could leave Middlesbrough this week.

Newcastle are preparing a £2million bid for Watford forward Tommy Smith.

DAILY STAR

Tottenham are weighing up a £5million move for Crystal Palace forward Victor Moses.

Portsmouth are closing in on former Middlesbrough midfielder Bolo Zenden after completing the loan signing of right-back Anthony Vanden Borre from Genoa.

Fulham are poised to complete the signing of former Newcastle striker Mark Viduka after he flew into London for talks on Wednesday night.

Sheffield United will ask Blackburn to extend keeper Mark Bunn's loan if Paddy Kenny is handed a lengthy ban following his positive drugs test.

Aston Villa have signed Andy Marshall, 34, on a one-year deal after the goalkeeper was released by Coventry at the end of last season.

Martin Cranie has become the 12th player to leave crisis club Portsmouth after joining Coventry for £500,000.

DAILY MAIL

Barcelona president Joan Laporta is ready to step up his attempt to swoop for Cesc Fabregas, amid fears former vice-president turned rival candidate Sandro Rosell will pledge to sign the Arsenal midfielder as part of his election bid next summer.

Nicklas Bendtner faces a £10,000 bill from Arsenal after offering to reimburse fans who have bought replica shirts bearing his old number following his late decision to swap from 26 to 52 for the new season.

Steve Bruce won his battle of wills with former club Wigan on Wednesday when Lee Cattermole completed his move to Sunderland for an initial fee of £6million.

Richard Dunne insists he doesn't want to leave Manchester City.

DAILY EXPRESS

Hull are expected to announce the signings of Stephen Hunt and Kamel Ghilas on Thursday.

Manchester City will be without Roque Santa Cruz until the end of the month as he continues to battle a knee problem.

Fulham owner Mohamed Al Fayed has told manager Roy Hodgson to spend rather than sell as he goes for success this season.

Chelsea are poised to make Serbian midfielder Nemanja Matic their fourth signing of the summer in a £5million deal.

Fulham expect to complete the signing of Australia striker Mark Viduka on a free transfer on Thursday.

DAILY RECORD

John Hughes is still unsure if Abdessalam Benjelloun has a future at Hibs.

Its Kids though, the Premiership is a little less harsh on kids than the Championship.

These guys have Championship experiance and IIRC Smith bagged about 20 goals last season, can you see Strola getting even 10 this season?

Its Kids though, the Premiership is a little less harsh on kids than the Championship.

These guys have Championship experiance and IIRC Smith bagged about 20 goals last season, can you see Strola getting even 10 this season?

Sorry I was being tongue in cheek. I honestly can't see Ashley spending a brass farthing on transfers, and he's probably naive enough to think kids from the Academy can make up the numbers.

how can we be signing players... we don't have a manager to pick his targets!

Yeah, surely if anybody signs it's either a purchase by Ashley or a purchase by Hughton.

That would suggest either Ashley's gonna take the cheap option and keep Hughton on, or cheaper still and take over as boss himself! To be honest given his work at the club to date, I wouldn't be that suprised...

Yeah, surely if anybody signs it's either a purchase by Ashley or a purchase by Hughton.

That would suggest either Ashley's gonna take the cheap option and keep Hughton on, or cheaper still and take over as boss himself! To be honest given his work at the club to date, I wouldn't be that suprised...

I can picture Ashley saying to himself "I'll do it, how hard can it be? Who dares wins, Rodney". He'd probably have a better records than Hughton, to be fair.

I can picture Ashley saying to himself "I'll do it, how hard can it be? Who dares wins, Rodney". He'd probably have a better records than Hughton, to be fair.

Or this

Final nail in the cofin?

Oh dear :mellow: Thing is, it would be comical if it wasn't so important!

I just get the sneaking suspicion that Ashley doesn't want to sell and never has - it's not about people not wanting to buy it's because he has been subtly undermining any takeover bid. According to reports one bid already collapsed because he wasn't responding to the offer.

As for Hughtons record, it's not great is it?! Ashley would only need a couple of wins.

A deal to take Smith to Reading was expected to be completed this week but the Royals are yet to offer an acceptable bid for the forward and yesterday Watford confirmed an enquiry had been made by a "top-end Championship club", believed to be Newcastle.

From the Watford Observer.

Would be quite happy with him in if Duff goes...