4 million bid for Duff

Scottish Mag

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just seen on the scrolling bar that sky sources say we've had the offer for Duff.

Considering his wages and £4m, if its true then we're losing yet another player and the squad will get ever smaller. I know plenty of people would be happy to shift Duff but we can't afford to lose anymore players now and i think he can do a good job in the championship personally.

Its a right fucking pain in the arse. We can't afford to let him go as we not Fat Ashley won't spend the money but 4 million is good money for an injury prone 30 year old thats on 65k a week.

The thing is if we had been taken over or even Shearer backed a little by Ashley seeing the figures Duff, Beye, Bassong and Martins have went for as well as the others who have left and cut the wage bill down with the addition of a few players we could have actually had the books balanced quite a bit and still had a decent little team.

For me Duff pays the price constantly (in terms of public opinion) for his first two (very poor and injury plagued) seasons at SJP. Last season I thought he played well, ok not a world beater but nowhere near our weakest link. And frankly if we need to sell then peddle Jonas who after looking so promising when he first arrived has been a huge letdown.

Duff works his nuts off and can and does make and score goals and certainly will do that some more at Championship level. On the evidence to date, despite perplexingly being in one of the best international squads in the world, Jonas .......er won't.

Totally opposed to Duff's sale.

Six months ago I would have snapped anyones hand off for that sort of money for him especially with the money he's on but if he goes what options do we have for attackers? Him and Jonas are our only senior wingers so it would be likely that you would see a midfield of Jonas, Smith, Nolan & Barton (at least while Butt and Gutherie) are out. That represents zero creativity. He's also the only senior player other than Xisco (I know) who can realistically cover the strikers.

From a playing perspective it makes no sense at all to sell him but I full expect him to go.

Actually one of the few that seems to give a shit and I would much rather play him wide left than Jonas, but from a financial point of view we can't say no to that.

Actually one of the few that seems to give a shit and I would much rather play him wide left than Jonas, but from a financial point of view we can't say no to that.

I agree with that. Its just a shame that we wont replace him.

Last year id have taken their hands off. But this only means that geremi will be on the right and jonas will be on the left. Dont for one second think we will use the money to reinvest. We currently have 4 first team defenders, 2 first team wingers and one first team striker :mellow: If any of them get injured weve only got 17 year olds without a game to their name to play!

Lots of speculation around our forum that we might be the bidders. I think he's just past his sell-by date myself. Judging by most of the comments on here I might be right.

We shall see.

Lots of speculation around our forum that we might be the bidders. I think he's just past his sell-by date myself. Judging by most of the comments on here I might be right.

We shall see.

Never been anywhere near the player he was at Blackburn or Chelsea for us like - I don't think he would improve you lot at all

We shall see.

Never been anywhere near the player he was at Blackburn or Chelsea for us like - I don't think he would improve you lot at all

lost his pace due to injuries and never really adapted to being slower

not unlike owen actually was watching prem years 00/01 or something like that the other day and almost every single one of his goals shown came from him being able to outpace the defence he was against

Every time we sell a player though our squad just gets weaker and weaker. I know thats likely good business, but only if we replaced him surely? We need so many players its unreal. They're fucking clueless. No, wait. thats not right, they are not clueless, they just dont give a shit.

I can't think of many other players in the squad I'd rather keep than Duff at this point, seems to be one of the few who actually cares about this club anymore. You could see he was gutted when we went down. He's not a PL player any more, I don't think, but we aren't a PL club any more either. If we lose him we are in big trouble.

Is he in the last year of his contract ?

If he's going to be replaced then sell ! if not we need him £65k a week or not !