Hearts to appoint Rix as manager

Jimbo

From Hitzfeld to Robson to Ranieri To Graham Rix, the Jambos fans mus be gutted !

Graham Rix is having a meeting with first-team players ahead of an expected unveiling of the former Portsmouth manager as Hearts' new boss.

BBC Sport understands that Rix will be presented to the media officially at a Tuesday news conference.

But the 48-year-old wanted to talk to the squad before players dispersed for this week's international duty.

It is not yet clear whether Rix will have team selection duties or work below a director of football.

Hearts majority shareholder Vladimir Romanov turned to Rix following approaches to Sir Bobby Robson, Claudio Ranieri and Ottmar Hitzfeld.

Rix watched Hearts beat Dundee United on Saturday and, although the club has refused to comment, he also arrived at the Riccarton training complex along with Romanov on Monday.

The former Arsenal midfielder, previously coach at Chelsea and manager at Fratton Park, was at Oxford United until March.

Rix, who was capped 17 times by England, played for Dundee in the mid 1990s.

He also helped out briefly at Dens Park last year as he completed his FA coaching certificates.

Then Dundee manager Jim Duffy, who worked under Rix at Chelsea and Portsmouth, has been linked with a role at Hearts should Rix be confirmed in post.

Duffy has refused to comment on that possibility but told BBC Scotland: "Graham was - and is - the most successful English coach at Chelsea.

"He won FA Cups, the European Cup Winners' Cup, a Charity Shield and the League Cup while he was first-team coach at Stamford Bridge.

"Graham has gained fantastic experience throughout his career. He's worked with Ruud Gullit and Gianluca Vialli at Chelsea."

Former England, Newcastle, Porto and Barcelona manager Robson had remained interested in taking over at Tynecastle.

But the 72-year-old admitted at the weekend that last week's surprise departure by chief executive Phil Anderton and chairman George Foulkes had reduced his chances.

Robson hinted that Romanov and son Roman, now interim chief executive and chairman, might prefer "a less experienced manager who would work with the players hand-picked by the owner".

George Burley left the club last month due to "irreconcilable differences" with Romanov but with Hearts leading and unbeaten in the Scottish Premier League.

The Edinburgh club promised to replace him with someone with a "top-class European pedigree".

Rix would be a surprise appointment and the prospect has already met with some opposition from Hearts supporters.

The Englishman, overlooked for the manager's position at Partick Thistle in 2003, is viewed as controversial because of a 12-month jail sentence in 1999 for having unlawful sex with a 15-year-old girl.

He lasted just over a year in charge of Portsmouth, who at that time were struggling in England's old First Division, and was also ousted at Oxford after a poor run of results.

Burley and Anderton both parted company with Hearts shortly after Romanov secured a deal to become majority shareholder, with Foulkes leaving in protest at the chief executive's sacking.

I remember the FA Cup semi at Wembley against Chelsea. Despite the fact we were hard done to we gave all the Chelsea players and managers a wonderful reception as they went up the tunnel. Apart from Graham Rix that is :D

I thought that he was just first team coach up there. I still think that they will be looking to appoint a manager though.

53817[/snapback]

I think they've concluded that as the chairman makes all decisions on player purchases and sales, that a coach is all that's needed.

bit of a step down from Burley like, considering he's never done anything to shout about as a manager apart from nearly getting Pompey relegated to Division 2

bit of a step down from Burley like, considering he's never done anything to shout about as a manager apart from nearly getting Pompey relegated to Division 2

53982[/snapback]

Youth team should be shitting bricks tbh.

53982[/snapback]

53983[/snapback]

Youth teams girlfriends anyway.

53982[/snapback]

53983[/snapback]

53984[/snapback]

beat me to it :D

53982[/snapback]

53983[/snapback]

53984[/snapback]

beat me to it :D

53985[/snapback]

He's so quick he beats himself sometimes. :D

Not making any excuses, but he met the 15 year-old girl in a nightclub.

Maybe he didn't know she wasn't 18? Do the bouncers get locked up too???

54068[/snapback]

Wasn't she the daughter of one of Rix's friends? Ex-friend now I presume.

54081[/snapback]

Couldn't tell you. I just know he met her in a nightclub.

54068[/snapback]

The bouncers didn't shag her though.

54068[/snapback]

54086[/snapback]

Sorry, perhaps I should have asked if they were all sacked for not asking her for ID.

54068[/snapback]

54086[/snapback]

Sorry, perhaps I should have asked if they were all sacked for not asking her for ID.

54092[/snapback]

Most clubs would go bust if they stopped letting under 18's in though.

Kiddie fiddler - shite manager!

54104[/snapback]

Yeah, 'cos 15 year-olds spend their weekends playing with Barbie dolls, don't they.

Not condoning what he did, like, but I hardly think she would have had any innocence to rob.

54114[/snapback]

Sorry but you sound exactly like you are condoning what he did. Who are you to decide what innocence is?

Kiddie fiddler - shite manager!

54104[/snapback]

Yeah, 'cos 15 year-olds spend their weekends playing with Barbie dolls, don't they.

Not condoning what he did, like, but I hardly think she would have had any innocence to rob.

54114[/snapback]

Sorry but you sound exactly like you are condoning what he did. Who are you to decide what innocence is?

54118[/snapback]

I just think he was a stupid cunt rather than a 'bad' cunt.

Why don't you do a little research into what the average age is for girls losing their virginity, and how many men on average they've slept with by the time they are 16?

Keep your McCarthyist crap to yersel.

Edited by Sicklee Sausage Roll