Sol Campbell?

The Sol Campbell and Jermaine Beckford to us stories have resurfaced I see. My boss is a Leeds fan and was saying he'd be delighted if they got the quoted £5m for Beckford seeing as the player's leaving on a free at the end of the season anyway - so either the papers are making it up (shock, horror) or someone in our transfer team isn't playing with the full deck... hmm, actually I suppose it could be both.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Sol Campbell and Jermaine Beckford to us stories have resurfaced I see. My boss is a Leeds fan and was saying he'd be delighted if they got the quoted £5m for Beckford seeing as the player's leaving on a free at the end of the season anyway - so either the papers are making it up (shock, horror) or someone in our transfer team isn't playing with the full deck... hmm, actually I suppose it could be both.

There is no fucking chance Ashley will spend 5 million, he wouldn't even spend that last January to keep us up.

I agree and, in fairness, it would be daft to spend that sort of money on an unproven player out of contract at the end of the season anyway.

That was my point, though I also agree that there's more chance of knitting fog than the fat one spending £5m.

Here's the latest from espn:

Sol Campbell has told ESPN Soccernet he would be "happy" to join Newcastle United if the deal can be ratified by Mike Ashley and the Newcastle board.

Full article here.

Sol seems realistic. Beckford less so. I also don't think Beckford is worth the risk. We already have players who can score goals in the Championship and I doubt he is good enough to score goals in the Prem.

Here's the latest from espn:

Sol Campbell has told ESPN Soccernet he would be "happy" to join Newcastle United if the deal can be ratified by Mike Ashley and the Newcastle board.

Full article here.

Sol seems realistic. Beckford less so. I also don't think Beckford is worth the risk. We already have players who can score goals in the Championship and I doubt he is good enough to score goals in the Prem.

Really? We have very few strikers scoring bags full atm.

Id rather we went up with a team built on good defence ratherthan attack, those teams stay up

Do they?

moreso than the attacking teams, look at west brom, waltz through most teams in the CCC but struggle in the PL because they cant play better than the teams they're against

Id rather we went up with a team built on good defence ratherthan attack, those teams stay up

Do they?

moreso than the attacking teams, look at west brom, waltz through most teams in the CCC but struggle in the PL because they cant play better than the teams they're against

I knew West Brom was coming. Any others?

That was our problem too. Not saying we outplayed teams btw, just the inability to score. We had a canny back 4/5 when we had that settled spell with Beye-Colo-Bassong-Enrique with Given in goal. Contrast with the back four under SBR that came 4th/3rd/5th which I'm not convinced was much (if any) better.

Difference between us and West Brom last season was simply midfield and defence. Neither of us had an attack worthy of anything (despite us having Martins, Owen & Viduka on the payroll).

West Brom were awesome in midfield but had nothing in attack or defence. Our defence was actually quite solid - problem was we did absolutely fuck all any further forward up the pitch. :lol:

• 1 month later...
Notts County have lost another manager, Sven's mate Backe. Only been there 7 weeks, very stange going on. I wonder if Sven is thinking of bailing?

Very strange indeed, I wonder what's afoot :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
Arsenal are on the brink of signing Sol Campbell with the defender set to feature for the reserves on Tuesday night, according to Sky Sports News.

The 35-year-old is currently without a club after leaving League Two side Notts County last year, having played just one game for the Magpies.

Campbell has been training with Arsenal since leaving County and he is believed to have impressed Gunners boss Arsene Wenger.

Wenger refused to rule out a move Campbell last week after reports first emerged of a possible deal until the end of the season at the Emirates.

Campbell's possible return has moved a step closer with the former England international expected to line-up for Arsenal's second string against West Ham at Upton Park on Tuesday.

Campbell, who had a five-year spell with the Gunners between 2001 and 2006, has been linked with a number of clubs since his acrimonious departure from Notts County, but it appears he is set to make a shock return to North London.

Missed opportunity, there.

Glenn-Roeder.jpg