Usain Bolt

Tooj

The margins in the 100m are too small for even someone like him to pick and choose when he breaks records and by how much etc. in any case.

I think hes more just running to beat his competitors, once he feels hes done that he eases off

That's the idea.

I know what you mean though.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Jamaicans have, however, been at the centre of the intensive drug-testing regime during these Olympics. Bolt's test after his victory was his seventh since he arrived and officials within the Jamaican camp were known to be unhappy about the scrutiny their athletes had come under.

Don Anderson, the chef de mission, said the team had endured an "extremely unusual" number of drug tests in Beijing. Speaking before the start of the athletics programme, he said the team had been tested 32 times in five days.

Just co clear that up for you Rob.

from the Beeb

"Clouds do still remain on the Jamaican horizon, however. Perhaps the biggest concern for outside observers is the lack of a fully functioning anti-doping body on the island.

First mooted in 2005, the Jamaican Anti-Doping Commission (Jadco) remains an organisation with more good intentions than testing kits. Repeated promises have been made to fast-track the necessary legislation and funds through parliament but three years later all that is clear is the island's sprinters are faster than its lawmakers.

Neither the World Anti-Doping Agency (Wada) nor the Jamaican authorities have been able to confirm to BBC Sport that Jadco is actually operating yet. The situation is further muddied by Jamaica's decision to opt out of the Wada-approved Caribbean Regional Anti-Doping Organisation (Rado).

The only organisation currently undertaking widespread testing in Jamaica is the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF).

The Monaco-based governing body has raised its game in recent years, and now actively targets countries without adequate anti-doping regimes of their own (Jamaica is the IAAF's fifth most tested nation), but question marks remain over the effectiveness and transparency of its operations.

Dr Adrian Lorde, the head of the Caribbean Rado which Jamaica stayed out of, has voiced concerns about the amount of testing done on the island. When asked by BBC Sport if Jamaica was testing enough, he replied: "I don't get that impression. I would like to think they do that testing there but I really don't know.

"I don't know what level of certification their doping control officers have. We really don't know what is going on in Jamaica. I am concerned they don't have the programme in place they should have based on the amount of success they have. There has been talk about a national anti-doping organisation in Jamaica for many years but it is not functioning yet, as far as we can tell.

"I don't have any worries there are athletes in Jamaica who are cheating, but you only know if it's tested.

Andy Parkinson, who heads this country's anti-doping regime, agreed.

"It worries us that any nation doesn't have an anti-doping organisation," Parkinson told BBC Sport. "We're committed to making sure there is effective testing in the UK but the fight against doping has to be worldwide."

Wyki warrior tbh. Anyway, I think a lot of it is sour grapes because it's clear the likes of Bolt are clean (or at least as clean as anyone else, given the rigorous tests he's been subjected to in recent times). Is Jamaica any different to any other poor country in terms of its testing? And it seems especially rich when you think about the sprinters from other countries (like the USA) and the amount of times their champions have subsequently been shown to be cheaters.

Edited by alex

I see some other Jamaican athletes have been pulled due to intake of drugs................

I see all of the mens 100m finallists have come through the drug-testing clean.

y'know just to redress the balance, back from "cynical bastard"-mode

Just got back from Berlin - thought we'd take in the first four days rather than the whole thing, as you get the best British medal hopes and the 100m too. Felt a bit sorry for the heptathletes like, halfway through their joint lap of honour and they had to stop and watch Bolt steal their thunder quite comprehensively. :D

well you can. Amazing really. that bend was run in no time at all and he was rocking and rolling from 100m onwards. I'm thinking that if he went for just the one or the other and could focus absolutely, he'd beat either record again.

the thing about the drug cheats is they are power focused athletes, whilst bolt has an element of power, of course, his running is technique based watch how relatively lightly his feet hit the floor compared to the gay lad.... he's pretty much as clean as you can get, bearing in mind they do take lots of supplements, etc and their diet is geared purely towards doing what they do best.

well you can. Amazing really. that bend was run in no time at all and he was rocking and rolling from 100m onwards. I'm thinking that if he went for just the one or the other and could focus absolutely, he'd beat either record again.

the thing about the drug cheats is they are power focused athletes, whilst bolt has an element of power, of course, his running is technique based watch how relatively lightly his feet hit the floor compared to the gay lad.... he's pretty much as clean as you can get, bearing in mind they do take lots of supplements, etc and their diet is geared purely towards doing what they do best.

pmsl

Chicken nuggets?

• 2 years later...
  • 6 years later...