Which transfer has/will hit you hardest?

dbsweeney

For me, if and when Steven Taylor leaves will be very difficult.

At Villa, he seemed the only one that gave a shit.

Having Baye leave was a suckerpunch too.

While it was sad having Bassong leave, it hasn't half obvoius that it was going to happen.

Kinda came to the conclusion a bit back that under MA, any single player could be sold without any consideration being given to the effect on the team. Of course I'd liked to have seen Beye and Bassong stay. But, as we're now a championship side, I equally can't expect any of these players to stay. Being realistic. Its literally time to forget the team we had and look to rebuild from scratch.

Losing Enrique will be tough. Both are 23 years of age but I rate Enrique a better player than Taylor (obviously different positions). Not saying that losing Taylor will be easy, but if he does go I think it will be for an amount that is representative of his worth, with Enrique I think there's a chance that may not be the case.

I don't think it's necessary to rebuild completely from scratch as JawD said, but we do have to be resigned to losing a fair chunk of players. It gives us a chance to get rid of the higher profile players who weren't performing, though we should be replacing them with young, keen players who will give their all when playing for us.

I'd take Peter Ramage back, same with David Edgar. Unrelated, but I was watching the Wigan match the other day, and was thinking that we'd all have Bramble in our team over Coloccini..

we have to face economic reality. all the first teamers are/ were on ridiculous wages for a team that never looked like getting out of the bottom half of the premiership since sir bob was sacked ( except for one flukey year when we got 7th).

i think if taylor goes we will suffer worst because he is too good for the championship (but not quite good enough for a top premiership side). jonas looks good enough at this level if he could learn to cross/ pass. i think both of them will be gone by the end of the transfer window.

what I'd like to know is who we are getting in to replace them... if at all...

I think Taylor is getting better and better. A great choice for captain in a few years. Also Enrique has improved drastically from 2 years back, if we get promoted and manage to keep him he should be a great first choice at LB for years to come. Those 2 are the ones id like to keep the most.

Taylor will be tough. If only because I thought he'd be the only player to stay.

He's the best player to come out of our acadamy in decades(I'm probably forgetting someone). He's not without his flaws, but he'd be one of the best defender in this league, and as others have pointed out, it's a rarity to have a player at the club who appears to give a shit.

I can't blame him for going to a Europa Cup team who go to the FA Cup final and will probably be a top 8 team again this year.

Still think Given going was a big blow. Just because it signalled the board's intent so much. It showed how fucking clueless they are at negotiating too when it came to the fee. Especially when you consider what Man City have been paying for players.

Still think Given going was a big blow. Just because it signalled the board's intent so much. It showed how fucking clueless they are at negotiating too when it came to the fee. Especially when you consider what Man City have been paying for players.

That was the start for me. He went for pennies and we were relegated by 1pt. What was the true cost of that transfer?

That was the start for me. He went for pennies and we were relegated by 1pt. What was the true cost of that transfer?

If anyone didn't already know Ashley was an absolute knacker, making a profit on transfers in January should have told them. Talk about a false economy.

Smith, Barton, Taylor and Enrique would all be big losses. The main factor for me in selling a player is their subsequent replacement wether that be someone already in the squad or a completely new face.

Martins

Viduka

Owen

Bassong

Beye

Duff

For example by bringing in say; Beckford, K Phillips, Simpson (years loan), Kewell, Campbell, Taarabt, and Bouma. We would sufficiently replace the players positions, reduce the wages considerably from the old players and strengthen the squad across several areas.

Smith, Barton, Taylor and Enrique would all be big losses. The main factor for me in selling a player is their subsequent replacement wether that be someone already in the squad or a completely new face.

Martins

Viduka

Owen

Bassong

Beye

Duff

For example by bringing in say; Beckford, K Phillips, Simpson (years loan), Kewell, Campbell, Taarabt, and Bouma. We would sufficiently replace the players positions, reduce the wages considerably from the old players and strengthen the squad across several areas.

Seeing Given in a Citeh shirt still hurts me. I think that if I'm honest, when he left was the first time I thought relegation was a probability, rather than a possibility.

We must keep Taylor. For his quality, his passion and his experience.

Seeing Given in a Citeh shirt still hurts me. I think that if I'm honest, when he left was the first time I thought relegation was a probability, rather than a possibility.

We must keep Taylor. For his quality, his passion and his experience.

I agree.

It makes much more sense to ship out Colloccini, Butt and Geremi, long before Taylor, who won't be on crippling wages. the caveat to this would be that I think we need two replacements for Colloccini, Campbell and an other, as we are desperately thin at the back.

The fat man will be looking at how much he can bring in, not how much it will save him because he's a brainless cunt.

Exactly. He cost nothing, is on around £20k per week, but will bring in £8m.

Actually, going on our shite record at selling, we'll probably get £4m.

I'll be dissapointed in both the club and with Taylor if he goes. No one is forcing him out, he can stay if he wants to. Every week he's in the Chronicle going ott about his love for the club, time to show it. Not really overly bothered about players ho leave, I just tend to have the problems with the ones who go on and on about being loyal and are made martyrs by the local press - as I suspect Taylor will be. I'm still bemused by the lack of stick Given got to be honest so I expect Taylor to walk away with the fans backing as well. You can't blame Ashley completely for this, if you've got a contract they can't make you leave.

I'll be dissapointed in both the club and with Taylor if he goes. No one is forcing him out, he can stay if he wants to. Every week he's in the Chronicle going ott about his love for the club, time to show it. Not really overly bothered about players ho leave, I just tend to have the problems with the ones who go on and on about being loyal and are made martyrs by the local press - as I suspect Taylor will be. I'm still bemused by the lack of stick Given got to be honest so I expect Taylor to walk away with the fans backing as well. You can't blame Ashley completely for this, if you've got a contract they can't make you leave.

Thats whats confusing me about this "transfer" he is always saying he loves it here an how proud he is to wear the shirt etc

I think there becomes a line between loyalty and professional aspirations.

Whilst I sort of agree with that he does milk the local lad thing to the point where it's a bit ridiculous. I don't blame him for going though but I can see where SLP is coming from.

I think there becomes a line between loyalty and professional aspirations.

Whilst I sort of agree with that he does milk the local lad thing to the point where it's a bit ridiculous. I don't blame him for going though but I can see where SLP is coming from.

:icon_lol: Way to take a stand there alex.. really sticking up for your priniciples.

how are those splinters? :)

Is there a chance he's being forced out for the good of the club? I'm just speculating that Derek may have persuaded him that the club would be better off with the £8m in the coffers.

There's also the chance that the move is too good to resist for him.