A-levels are so easy a monkey could be trained to do them, say teachers

Fop

Tbf I did little work during class for 2 years, made revision notes 2 days before the exam, memorised them the night before, and got 3 A grades. There's no way I deserved them for the amount of work I put in over the whole course - in the exam I just rewrote what I'd put in my revision notes word for word.

Tbf I did little work during class for 2 years, made revision notes 2 days before the exam, memorised them the night before, and got 3 A grades. There's no way I deserved them for the amount of work I put in over the whole course - in the exam I just rewrote what I'd put in my revision notes word for word.

Which in itself is a display of intelligence though. Some people work their arses off for 2 years and come out happy with a B.

Which in itself is a display of intelligence though. Some people work their arses off for 2 years and come out happy with a B.

My happiness lasted approx 2 minutes until I turned round and realised my friend hadn't got the grades she needed for Uni after working really hard (thankfully she managed to get into a similar course, but I felt fucking dreadful).

A record-breaking number of A-level entries for England, Wales and Northern Ireland have been awarded A grades.

More than one in four entries - 26.7% - got the top grade, up from 25.9% last year and the overall pass rate rose to 97.5%, up 0.3 percentage points.

The improvement in grades - for the 27th year in a row - will add to the pressure on university places.

_46234819_a_levels_226.gif

The answer is to accept that the DISTRIBUTION of intelligence is roughly the same as it was years ago - something like a bell curve

then every year the top 5% get an A, the next 10% a B etc etc

You also stop course work and multiple resits

The answer is to accept that the DISTRIBUTION of intelligence is roughly the same as it was years ago - something like a bell curve

Cant have it though.

No child left behind.

EVERYONE gets a medal on sports day.

:icon_lol:

Cant have it though.

No child left behind.

:icon_lol:

Are you saying our society should just let children fail and then damn them and leave them to rot? :icon_lol:

Cant have it though.

No child left behind.

:cry:

even my brother who used to hide??????????

• 2 weeks later...
Maths 'no better than in 1970s'

_46323181_44505771.jpg

Tests showed pupils are now more familiar with decimals than fractions

Pupils are no better at maths now than they were 30 years ago - despite a rise in exam grades, a study suggests.

Researchers asked 3,000 11 to 14-year- olds in England to sit maths exams taken by pupils in 1976, and compared their scores with the earlier results.

Analysis suggested there was little difference between the two generations.

But among pupils from the previous generation taking O-level maths, less than a quarter gained a C or above, compared to 55% in GCSEs last year.

'Teaching to the test'

Dr Jeremy Hodgen, of King's College, London, who lead the research team, suggested the disparity between unchanged ability and the increase in grades was partly down to schools' obsession with Sats results and league table positions.

He said: "There's a great deal of teaching to the test, so that in trying to increase scores, schools develop an understandable focus on the test, so there's a narrowing of the curriculum."

He also said mainstream schools today had a higher proportion of lower-achieving pupils, whereas in the 1970s many of these pupils would have been in special schools.

The researchers found some differences in the abilities of the two groups of pupils in different areas of mathematics.

Today's secondary school pupils were much more familiar with decimals than they were 30 years ago. On the other hand, fractions appeared to be much harder for today's pupils, the study suggested.

'Hard work'

Thirty years ago, pupils would sometimes convert decimals into fractions to solve a problem, but those taking the tests now did the reverse, researchers found.

Schools Minister Diana Johnson said another independent report showed pupils in England making real progress in maths and that GCSE standards were rigorously monitored.

"We do not think that research based on tests in a small number of specific topics taken in 11 schools by 11 to 14-year-olds is a good way to judge standards in the maths GCSE - an exam which tests the full breadth of the curriculum and that is taken by older pupils from all schools in the country.

"Improved mathematics attainment is down to pupils' hard work and excellent teaching. This is further reflected by the fact that more and more young people are going on to study mathematics and further mathematics at AS-level and A-level."

The research is being presented at the British Educational Research Association conference in Manchester on Saturday.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8238759.stm

anyone who thinks that people know more maths than 20 -30 years ago has never been in a business environment

I've been in the business environment for coming up to ten years and the elderly folk invariably come in at 6am to drink coffee for 3 hours before going through their emails then falling asleep in an early afternoon meeting. They get off home at 2.30pm.

Edited by Happy Face

anyone who thinks that people know more maths than 20 -30 years ago has never been in a business environment

I've been in the business environment for coming up to ten years and the elderly folk invariably come in at 6am to drink coffee for 3 hours before going through their emails then falling asleep in an early afternoon meeting. They get off home at 2.30pm.

That'll be you in 5 years time. :munch: