Newcastle United 1-0 Sheffield Wednesday FT

Guest Stevie

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Stevie

One of my favourite games ever was against Sheffield Wednesday when we beat them 4-2 in 1993. We were getting beat 1-2 with 15 minutes to go and ended up winning 4-2, Alex Mathie scoring a Marco van Basten style beauty to make it 3-2, and if ever the saying brought the house down was appropriate it was then, one of the most mental celebrations since seats were put in the Leazes. Even Malcolm Allen scored.

For me it's the 8-0, not because of the scoreline (although it helped) but it was the spiralling decline of the club up to that point. That game was absolutely the turning point. How a man can take the same bunch of players who limped and sturttered through their previous games and turn them into a group of players with the hunger, flair, resilience and drive to dominate a team from start to finish, is a mystery. It confirmed Shearer was far from finished, and had me looking forward to saturdays again.

Guest Stevie
For me it's the 8-0, not because of the scoreline (although it helped) but it was the spiralling decline of the club up to that point. That game was absolutely the turning point. How a man can take the same bunch of players who limped and sturttered through their previous games and turn them into a group of players with the hunger, flair, resilience and drive to dominate a team from start to finish, is a mystery. It confirmed Shearer was far from finished, and had me looking forward to saturdays again.

Well the 8-0 was obviously a great day, for shear adrenaline rush the 4-2 was my favourite game against them, but the 8-0 will be more relevant to your younger toon fan, the likes of yourself, J69 etc..

Well the 8-0 was obviously a great day, for shear adrenaline rush the 4-2 was my favourite game against them, but the 8-0 will be more relevant to your younger toon fan, the likes of yourself, J69 etc..

Fish isn't that young you know. :icon_lol:

One of my favourite games ever was against Sheffield Wednesday when we beat them 4-2 in 1993. We were getting beat 1-2 with 15 minutes to go and ended up winning 4-2, Alex Mathie scoring a Marco van Basten style beauty to make it 3-2, and if ever the saying brought the house down was appropriate it was then, one of the most mental celebrations since seats were put in the Leazes. Even Malcolm Allen scored.

That Mathie goal will remain with me as one of the most incredible moments in football. Waddle played some vintage stuff in that game also. And we were standing. Joy.

At the time Malcolm Allen lived two doors down from me dad, I recall one night he was absolutely hammered walking about starkers outside. :icon_lol: