Newcastle United 1-0 Sheffield Wednesday FT

Guest Stevie

Guest Stevie

One of the great myths of football is Sheffield Wednesday are a sleeping giant with loyal fans. They have a hardcore of about 16,000 in one of the biggest cities and population centres in this country. They rarely used to bring many here in the 80s or 90s and we'd take up to 10,000 down there even under Jim Smith.

Anyway I write this because the Chronicle mentions the fact they'll have 5,000 here on Wednesday on their jolly up. Is this true? If there's 5,000 away fans where will the rest go on top of the 2,800 in Level 7?? Or is Lee Ryder talking shit?

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the great myths of football is Sheffield Wednesday are a sleeping giant with loyal fans. They have a hardcore of about 16,000 in one of the biggest cities and population centres in this country. They rarely used to bring many here in the 80s or 90s and we'd take up to 10,000 down there even under Jim Smith.

Anyway I write this because the Chronicle mentions the fact they'll have 5,000 here on Wednesday on their jolly up. Is this true? If there's 5,000 away fans where will the rest go on top of the 2,800 in Level 7?? Or is Lee Ryder talking shit?

Fucking hell man. :icon_lol:

remember when we beat them 8-0

8-0

Quick on the edit there!!!

Yeah i was getting confused and was going to quote an away result against them but were at home :icon_lol:

Is this one on BBC? I can't find the list of our televised fixtures.

no, each team only gets two showings max i believe on BBC and our next one is against Ipswich ( i think please dont quote me )

It's not televised it will be on the radio though but I'm not sure if you'll get it in Manchester as the stream cuts off when the game starts.

A decent side in their day back in the 80s. I think any club that is the (or one of the) major teams in a big city that isn't achieving great things gets tagged as a 'sleeping giant'.

I think the Hillsborough disaster hit the club hard - far harder than the media reported as it has always been masked by the grieving that Liverpool went through. That said, they were significantly responsible for what happened that day.

Imagine if that had happened at SJP though - people had died on your club's terraces. I'm not surprised that some decided that there was more important things than going to a football match.

The many Wednesday fans I've met mind you are extremely passionate.

It's not televised it will be on the radio though but I'm not sure if you'll get it in Manchester as the stream cuts off when the game starts.

Yeah, it gets cut off. I used to subscribe to NUFC World just so I could get the radio commentary. But sacked it off when they want to charge me double. Might have to re-invest this season though.

I had it in my head we were on 5 games out of our 1st 7 or something? Dunno where I got that idea from now.

Pay turnstiles will also be in operation on the night and with the visitors selling their full allocation of 4,000+, the gate may even exceed Saturday's 36,944.

Yeah, it gets cut off. I used to subscribe to NUFC World just so I could get the radio commentary. But sacked it off when they want to charge me double. Might have to re-invest this season though.

I had it in my head we were on 5 games out of our 1st 7 or something? Dunno where I got that idea from now.

Leicester at home and Cardiff away are both on Sky, then it's the Ipswich game on the Beeb a fortnight or so after that. Forest and Sheff Utd away are on Sky too. The rest won't have been announced yet (all those are before December).

Leicester at home and Cardiff away are both on Sky, then it's the Ipswich game on the Beeb a fortnight or so after that. Forest and Sheff Utd away are on Sky too. The rest won't have been announced yet (all those are before December).

Ah, ok. So I didn't imagine it. I'd thought we were on BBC more than we are. I was quite looking forward it watching the game in HD again. Watching the WBA game was nice :) Getting greedy now :icon_lol:

I was wondering earlier if there are different rules and rights in the CCC which mean you can know listen to streams of the games direct from BBC Newcastle or Real Radio?

Always thought they were a bit schizo - some shit crowds given the size (despite 2 teams) but also some decent hardcore crowds in the third division.

They did used to bring a shit load in the mid 80s - only Chelsea ever brought a similar number (for non-mackem teams) iirc.

Guest Stevie
That might be a good idea :icon_lol:

It's strange we aren't televised as we are the only championship game on Wednesday.

We're the only ones who have requested all of our CCC midweek games be played on a Wednesday. I think we'll get 41,000 in there on the night which would be good :)

I'm torn, while I'd rather we had a full stadium, because I can't get up to watch them I'd also selfishly like to see us on tv.

Especaly given that we've played well under the gaze of both Sky and BBC cameras so far... Unless that was because there were players busting a gut while they were in the shop window and so on Wednesday they won't bother as much... :)

Crap, now I'm pessimistic-ated by that thought... :icon_lol: