Sale this week?

Christmas Tree

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Newcastle on brink of £100m takeover by Barry Moat as Mike Ashley flies in to club's training ground for further talks

by COLIN YOUNG

Last updated at 1:02 PM on 18th August 2009

Comments (0)

Add to My Stories

Newcastle owner Mike Ashley has flown into the club's training ground as talks to sell the club gather pace.

The troubled North East club have confirmed they are in advanced talks with local businessman Barry Moat to clinch a £100million deal to sell the club.

Ashley flew in his helicopter just after midday and he is expected to team up with managing director Derek Llambias at the training ground before meeting Moat, who is putting together a buy-out package.

I'm not even sure that Barry Moat is the right kind of investor for the club. Big bank loans and consortiums smack of bureaucracy and slow decision making.

I'm willing to put those concerns aside however, solely because it means that Shearer and not JFK will be looking after team affairs.

Northern Echo:

BREAKING NEWS:Ashley flies in for Newcastle talks

1:03pm Tuesday 18th August 2009

By Andy Richardson »

WITHIN the last hour Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley arrived in his private helicopter at the club's training ground for talks.

With some of the Newcastle squad still on the training pitch preparing for tomorrow's game with Sheffield Wednesday, Ashley and Derek Llambias left the helicopter and walked towards the office block at the Magpies Darsley Park complex for discussions with some of the senior players. It is known that several members the squad are becoming increasinlgy concerned with the departure of key figures including Damien Duff who's move to Fulham was confirmed this morning.

The owner is also hoping to conclude negotaitions on the sale of Newcastle with Tyneside businessman Barry Moat but both parties are struggling to reach agreement over a price.

Ashley was sporting his trademark open neck white shirt and was chatting with Llambias as they made their way past some of the Newcastle players and went into the club's office complex. The helicopter left shortly after 1pm with Ashley onboard but Llambias remained at the training ground for further talks. Tellingly, the pair's arrival on Tyneside comes a day before their home clash in the Championship and suggests important developments could be afoot.

I'm not even sure that Barry Moat is the right kind of investor for the club. Big bank loans and consortiums smack of bureaucracy and slow decision making.

I'm willing to put those concerns aside however, solely because it means that Shearer and not JFK will be looking after team affairs.

Aye, because one man calling the shots has been so fucking good for us :icon_lol:

Aye, because one fuckwit calling the shots has been so fucking good for us :icon_lol:

FYP

I think most of us had our fingers burnt with the assumption that anyone had to be better than Shepherd last time round and I'd be worried about the seeming lack of financial clout behind Moat and so on. That said, an owner who is honest enough to tell the fans the truth will be one big improvement. It makes me laugh when we get branded as delusion when it was our beloved owner who informed us that KK had the money for any player he wanted (or words to that effect). I'd also welcome someone who was a fan of the club because at least then you'll know that he has the club's interests at heart. Obviously an Arab billionaire would be better but that doesn't look like happening.

All optimism with regard to a takeover has disappeared so this press conference is going to be the announcement that Ashley is to stay and JFK is back :icon_lol:

Edited by IrishMag