Sale this week?

Christmas Tree

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This statement will blatently say there has been no progress and Ashley will commit himself to the club for the forseeable future. We'll then go through exactly the same nonsense next Summer. :D

I wouldn't be suprised if Moat did come on board in some context other than taking over, though what that would mean i have no idea as you can't work out what Ashley will do at any given moment.

How about they announce a take-over, Moat is the new owner, huzzah, but he's actually the puppet head and Ashley is still pulling the strings

the Geordies get someone else in charge, Ashley still gets to keep the club and asset strip and Moat gets some cash and to act as the figure head of NUFC

Louises latest

Newcastle United will have to sell three more players before next weekend if Barry Moat's proposed takeover of the Championship club is to stand a chance of success.

Despite speculation that Mike Ashley, the current owner, could be poised to take Newcastle off the market, Moat – a Tyneside property developer – remains involved in negotiations to buy the club.

Newcastle currently have a £40m overdraft facility with Barclays and the bank have indicated they will lend Moat the funds necessary to purchase Newcastle providing the overdraft and player wage bill – understood to have already been slashed from more than £70m to around £48m after the departure of 10 players this summer – are reduced significantly.

Although Newcastle today (FRI) said they would be making an announcement regarding the club's future ownership on Monday it is understood this may not be definitive and that Moat probably has until the end of next week to try to close a deal.Meanwhile, Ashley – whose asking price is £100m – has now accepted that an 11th-hour intervention is unlikely. "Moat is the only show in town," said a source. "If his bid collapses Mike Ashley will keep Newcastle on for another season."

Derek Llambias, the club's managing director, today said: "We're in negotiations with Barry and I am hopeful. But like everything you have to get money in the bank and banks and money are very tight at the moment. It's all about getting money in the bank."

In an effort to persuade Barclays to underwrite Moat, Newcastle are endeavouring to offload three of Steven Taylor, Fabricio Coloccini, Geremi, Joey Barton and Jonás Gutiérrez. Yet such efforts are being hampered by the high wages demanded by Coloccini, Barton and Geremi. Coloccini earns more than £70,000 a week while Geremi and Barton command in excess of £60,000 a week.

Taylor, an England Under-21 international centre-half, is seen as the club's most saleable asset and seems the most capable of attracting a decent fee – Newcastle want £10m but would probably settle for £6m. St James' Park officials insist he is much coveted by Everton but, as ever on Tyneside, things are not clearcut and it is understood that, in reality, David Moyes is not overly keen on him. Espanyol are very interested in Coloccini but will not pay the £6m Newcastle want for the Argentine centre-half allied to his stratospheric salary.

A trio of departures threatens to cut Newcastle's squad to the bone but Barclays would give Moat – who intends to appoint Alan Shearer as manager – scope to make selected loan and short term signings.

You wouldn't be surprised if there was a bit of truth in that story. If you believe Ashley is actually trying to sell and Moat is trying to buy, then Barclays could well be holding out for another 2-3 more to be taken off the wage bill before they agree to a deal.

How annoying would it be if a sale was being help up by having the likes of Geremi still on the wage bill though!

The thing is, as much as I hate to say it, I think we may be in a better position staying with MA if going with Moat means losing Taylor, Barton and to a lesser extent the Argentinians and to a non-existing extent Geremi. Wouldn't be surprised to see Krul go either especially if he's not getting any games...

Then again, Ashely would probably sell that lot either way, so yeah go with Moat!

Edited by TicTacWoe

If that is the case wouldn't it be sensible to shift two other players before selling Taylor?

I mean, if we sell him but can't shift a further two after we would have lost a decent player for no reason at all.

Beggers choosers and all that

I don't really see the point in a sale if it means another 2 or 3 first teamers leave (though Ashley would probably sell them if he stays) - I think if Moat takes over with an agenda of cost cutting and cheap/loan signings then I honestly fear we could be relegated again - no matter who the manager is.

I think we're completely screwed.

• 8 months later...

Like I said last year....

Which club should you try to emulate to make a profit without any risk? Only 5 clubs reported a profit in the most recent accounts. Blackburn (7th), Spurs (11th) and Fulham (17th) all earned about £3m. But West Brom earned over £11m...in the Championship.

If you want to be profitable, you just have to maintain a championship squad that can occasionally go up and guarantee a pay day and a parachute when you fail to invest again.

• 5 years later...

I'm now convinced everything is going as planned for Ashley (or change of planned once keegan went). Over 3 months without looking close to a sale. He's clearly saying one thing (I'm gonna sell) and doing another (not selling) like he always has.

As fans, we want to be up there with Chelsea or Man U. But look at the operating loss they've most recently posted (07/08), £85m and £44m respectively. Does an owner, using his own money want that?

Being succesful costs, and is all about the gamble of maintaining success until you can sell a high revenue company (not necessarily a profitable one) in a stronger market than you bought it.

Which club should you try to emulate to make a profit without any risk? Only 5 clubs reported a profit in the most recent accounts. Blackburn (7th), Spurs (11th) and Fulham (17th) all earned about £3m. But West Brom earned over £11m...in the Championship.

If you want to be profitable, you just have to maintain a championship squad that can occasionally go up and guarantee a pay day and a parachute when you fail to invest again.

Said almost 7 years ago, but it bares repeating, now that we know the wage bill was reduced to 14th in the Premier League... behind West Brom.