Beatles Week On BBC2/BBC4

Tooj

I fucking hate the Beatles

Scouse twats

;)

Can't stand Paul McCartney like, he's the living embodiment of smug. Although to be fair, he probably does a have a lot to be smug about :D

Pity that ex-wife of his didn't sting him for more of his cash though :munch:

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fucking hate the Beatles

Scouse twats

;)

Can't stand Paul McCartney like, he's the living embodiment of smug. Although to be fair, he probably does a have a lot to be smug about :D

Pity that ex-wife of his didn't sting him for more of his cash though :munch:

If ever two people were made for each other...

Phoney beatlemania has bitten the dust tbh

I saw them proclaimed as 'the greatest rock and roll band of all time' in Vox ironically.

Edited by alex

With things like this I always wonder how many people actually hate the Beatles and their music, rather than just take a position at odds to the majority for sport?

I like some of the Beatles stuff, note their influences in other bands and cannot help but be impressed at their reach... There is a little fan-boy reaction to criticism of them though.

With things like this I always wonder how many people actually hate the Beatles and their music, rather than just take a position at odds to the majority for sport?

I like some of the Beatles stuff, note their influences in other bands and cannot help but be impressed at their reach... There is a little fan-boy reaction to criticism of them though.

Loads of people try to be different in their music tastes though, don't they? Sort of a rite of growing up unless you want to be a sheep. It's a bit cringeworthy when you're older though imo. Not to mention cutting your nose off to spite your face if you actually like some of the mainstream stuff you've decided is too 'establishment' in your youth.

I'm not gonna counter anyone's claim that they don't like 'em.

However, I absolutely adore them and have fallen for the re-releases hook, line and sinker.

I own the original CDs and have tracked down the dusty original LPs of my parents. The original CDs sounded thin and trebbly compared to the LPs and the new remasters sound fab, too.

I admit to being an argumentative git but the positions I do take on this and other things are all genuine.

I would however confess that my position on The Beatles is "influenced" by my brother being a huge, huge fan of theirs. Something that at least means I can argue from a position of knowledge when it comes to their music as I have heard it all.

There's not many people said they hate The Beatles though.

One I think.

Renton's view is extreme in my opinion. As much as i love them, and have put them on a pedestal in the past, I eventually grew out of them and realised (in the words of John Lennon) they were "just a band".

As someone who bought the entire back catalogue, live at the BBC, Red, Blue, Past Masters vol 1, Past Masters vol 2, The Anthology volumes 1 to 3 on CD, The Anthology DVD box set, Let it Be Naked...and Love...there comes a point (it was a long time coming) when you have to say enough, it's as ungainly as the Tupac Shakur dynasty trying to pick the pockets of anyone daft enought to invest in anything but the original albums by releasing diminishing quality music that people hail as genius rather than the binned sub-par sketches they really are.

A BBC season to coincide with their new £99 video game and digital versions of their entire back catalogue leaves a sour taste with me too. Should have been QVC hawking this stuff.

One I think.

Renton's view is extreme in my opinion. As much as i love them, and have put them on a pedestal in the past, I eventually grew out of them and realised (in the words of John Lennon) they were "just a band".

As someone who bought the entire back catalogue, live at the BBC, Red, Blue, Past Masters vol 1, Past Masters vol 2, The Anthology volumes 1 to 3 on CD, The Anthology DVD box set, Let it Be Naked...and Love...there comes a point (it was a long time coming) when you have to say enough, it's as ungainly as the Tupac Shakur dynasty trying to pick the pockets of anyone daft enought to invest in anything but the original albums by releasing diminishing quality music that people hail as genius rather than the binned sub-par sketches they really are.

A BBC season to coincide with their new £99 video game and digital versions of their entire back catalogue leaves a sour taste with me too. Should have been QVC hawking this stuff.

I don't think it's extreme to think they have a special place in UK musical history, which is all I've said, really. What's more extreme is you buying all that stuff, which I certainly haven't. And again that kind of prove my point about their special place.

I liked Lennon's solo stuff as well for the record, no matter how uncool that is perceived to be. :munch:

One I think.

I don't think it's extreme to think they have a special place in UK musical history, which is all I've said, really. What's more extreme is you buying all that stuff, which I certainly haven't. And again that kind of prove my point about their special place.

You went further than that like...

"one of the first bands to actually write and play their own music"

"Without them the music today would simply be unrecognisable"

One I think.

I'd hate to see you go on about a band you didn't like ;)

:munch:

Edited by alex

One I think.

The first point, is that not true, genuine question?

The second, well, it's hypothetical and just an opinion I guess. As an aside, I'm reading a book about the history of science at the minute (bear with me). The author points out that with very few exceptions (possibly Gallileo, Newton, Einstein) other scientists would have filled in the voids had the great scientists not existed, and the timeline would not have been greatly affected. Even the likes of Newton were probably 'replaceable' given an extra 30 or so years. So what I'm saying is, applying this to music, perhaps in a parallel Universe where John and Paul never met, music in the UK would have been held back a few years but would ultimately have a similar evolution? Pure speculation, obviously. :munch:

One I think.

The first point, is that not true, genuine question?

Whey Bill Haley & the Comets were doing that over a decade earlier.

The second, well, it's hypothetical and just an opinion I guess. As an aside, I'm reading a book about the history of science at the minute (bear with me). The author points out that with very few exceptions (possibly Gallileo, Newton, Einstein) other scientists would have filled in the voids had the great scientists not existed, and the timeline would not have been greatly affected. Even the likes of Newton were probably 'replaceable' given an extra 30 or so years. So what I'm saying is, applying this to music, perhaps in a parallel Universe where John and Paul never met, music in the UK would have been held back a few years but would ultimately have a similar evolution? Pure speculation, obviously. :munch:

As I understand it, there were a number of "similar" bands about at the start of the 60s and The Beatles were just the best/most popular. Now it may be that that popularity was the driving force of a musical revolution but I think the existence of other bands suggests that their place was more as the vanguard for what was happening at a broad grassroots level rather than as the be all and end all.

I think you also have to look at the cultural changes happening at the time which were integral in change in society which in someway demanded "revolutionary" music which I'd say had evolved from pure rock and roll.

I'd also add that invoking the articles CT posted and also Fish's suggestion above there is a tendency to go with the flow and be "cool" in liking The Beatles which has an Emperors new clothes type context - it can sometimes be seen as heresy almost to say you don't like them.

Surely if it's almost heresy to say you don't like them it wouldn't be 'cool' to like them, i.e. if they're that mainstream. Seems like a contradiction there to me.

I'd also add that invoking the articles CT posted and also Fish's suggestion above there is a tendency to go with the flow and be "cool" in liking The Beatles which has an Emperors new clothes type context - it can sometimes be seen as heresy almost to say you don't like them.

Got that backwards mate, it's counter-culture and therefore "cool", to dislike the Beatles, not the other way round

• 1 year later...