Does anyone here doubt Shearer

Fatty

Given that the season CC has got off to a rather good start laying decent foundations under Chris Houghton, would appointing Shearer now be a gamble? Not because I think CH is cut out for the job, I don't at all but given that the club doesn't seem to 'need' the boost Shearer would bring would a steady pair of hands actually be the smarter option to garentee a swift return to the PL?

For me Shearer is still unproven and no matter how you coat it or contextualise it, his run of games last season was not that of a motivator Supreme. One win in 8 and the most lacklustre last day you can imagine when the players should have been more up than ever... Yeah you had players coming out praising him but results and performances where just not there.

I think he's very lucky in a way no one has quizzed him a bit more about that, yes JFK was shit, yes CH did nothing either but a guy who is supposed to be the answer to all our problems didn't even come with a 'new manager bump'.

What I find more alarming is he seems so reticent to take the plunge at any other club, touching yes without question... clearly Newcastle means the world to him, but is it not also a case of not having the burning desire to manage, the one thing you see in all the greats. Sir Bob would have managed a pub team to keep his toe in the water yet Shearer seems almost uninterested in management outside Newcastle, this makes me more than a little nervous, he could have gained a ton of experience by now but seems to be content on the MOTD sofa.....

is this really all it's cracked up to be would it not be better to just remember the good times? Coppell for me.... when all the other business is through, I'm not trying to imply Chris is good enough for the whole campaign or slag Shearer but well...I have doubts

First, we've only played a few games with a almost fully fit squad. See how well we do against Coventry or Cardiff after a few more have been sold and a few injuries have hit.

Second, shearer will always be a gamble. As was every manager when they first started managing. I do not see him as the answer to all of our problems (far from it), nor do I see him as the only option. But, he wont use us as a stepping stone should we be promoted, and at the moment I think more than anything we need some consistency.

Id like to see the club sold and a slow re-building begun. I dont want miracles, I was sensible stability and a gradual improvement over the next 5 years to get us back in the top 8 of the Prem.

Can Shearer do this? No one knows for sure yes or no, not even him. But Id take him over a JFK, CH, DOL et al any day.

A different story is if we dont get sold, then its more a case of who would want to come here not who do we want.

Edited by JawD

First, we've only played a few games with a almost fully fit squad. See how well we do against Coventry or Cardiff after a few more have been sold and a few injuries have hit.

Second, shearer will always be a gamble. As was every manager when they first started managing. I do see him as the answer to all of our problems (far from it), nor do I see him as the only option. But, he wont use us as a stepping stone should we be promoted, and at the moment I think more than anything we need some consistency.

Id like to see the club sold and a slow re-building begun. I dont want miracles, I was sensible stability and a gradual improvement over the next 5 years to get us back in the top 8 of the Prem.

Can Shearer do this? No one knows for sure yes or no, not even him. But Id take him over a JFK, CH, DOL et al any day.

A different story is if we dont get sold, then its more a case of who would want to come here not who do we want.

Spot on! :D

Given that the season CC has got off to a rather good start laying decent foundations under Chris Houghton, would appointing Shearer now be a gamble? Not because I think CH is cut out for the job, I don't at all but given that the club doesn't seem to 'need' the boost Shearer would bring would a steady pair of hands actually be the smarter option to garentee a swift return to the PL?

For me Shearer is still unproven and no matter how you coat it or contextualise it, his run of games last season was not that of a motivator Supreme. One win in 8 and the most lacklustre last day you can imagine when the players should have been more up than ever... Yeah you had players coming out praising him but results and performances where just not there.

I think he's very lucky in a way no one has quizzed him a bit more about that, yes JFK was shit, yes CH did nothing either but a guy who is supposed to be the answer to all our problems didn't even come with a 'new manager bump'.

What I find more alarming is he seems so reticent to take the plunge at any other club, touching yes without question... clearly Newcastle means the world to him, but is it not also a case of not having the burning desire to manage, the one thing you see in all the greats. Sir Bob would have managed a pub team to keep his toe in the water yet Shearer seems almost uninterested in management outside Newcastle, this makes me more than a little nervous, he could have gained a ton of experience by now but seems to be content on the MOTD sofa.....

is this really all it's cracked up to be would it not be better to just remember the good times? Coppell for me.... when all the other business is through, I'm not trying to imply Chris is good enough for the whole campaign or slag Shearer but well...I have doubts

Fair points, but what options do we have? You mention Coppell, but he's a small club manager. He lasted a month at Man City. He won't be able to handle the pressure in Newcastle and to be fair I don't think he'd want the job.

The position as manager of Newcastle United is a special one, very demanding. Shearer understands the club, he understands the city and he understands the fans. I don't see any other (realistic) option, really.

Shearer is a better option than JFK, Hughton etc. but then I can think of many managers who would take this job and be a better option than Shearer.

Fair enough ...name them ...

Why would anyone want to come here until there is a takeover? Even then its mission impossble when all we have are 17 -18 year olds and Ryan Taylor.

The thing about Shearer is he'll only come under certain conditions, therefore if he does come it'll mean a decent transfer budget and (very possibly) new ownership. The likes of Hughton, O'Leary and JFK (the latter two in particular) would just be here to toe the line and do what the current owner wants. Therefore Shearer here = NUFC much better off than we are now.

true enough, and he seemed to have identified a few transfer targets before the owners sat on their hands. the result of this being they have all been transferred. if he came in, then he'd have to get us playing the way sir bobby had us playing. fast counter attacking football with quick players all over the pitch, and a number 9 worthy of the shirt..... we don't have that. nowhere near....

I certainly dont think Shearer is the "answer". Of course he understands the club and what the fans are about but is that a pre-requisite to being a manager at this football club? Just because the last 2 successful managers were linked with Newcastle in either a former playing capacity or a supporter, doesnt mean that another fan or ex-player would bring the same kind of success.

I would personally rather we went for a manager who had experience, and had a reputation for putting out teams who liked to play football and entertain rather than kick the other team off the park or snatch a goal and defend til the 90 is up. A manager who likes to play the ball is a manager who I would prefer. I dont think there is any point in any of us mentioning who we would like to see come, as no-one knows what fat Mick has in his mind for this club aside from complete destruction.

Problem is Shearer would be a risk and the last thing this club needs at the moment is to take more risks. I think we'd be better off with an experienced fooball league manager who can bring stability and has good knowledge of what it takes to win in this division.

There aren't too many great players that have made great managers (regardless of whether they manage 'their' team or another team) and so to bring him in when the club is in turmoil would be very dangerous.

Do you think he'd take the assistant manager job if we got someone more experienced in and Ashley left?

• 2 weeks later...

Seriously I like Alan he talks sense but sometimes us as supporters (on any level) almost come across like the shop owners from League Of Gentlemen. Why do some people insist on everything being local ?

Give me a choice of an unproven, emotionally attactched manager or a nasty cunt who steadied the ship last time and will put anyone in their place and I would without hesitation go for the latter.

For me, Fatty is spot on.

To be successful in football, you can't be too influenced by emotion.

The fact is: Shearer is an unproven manager.

It is grossly unfair to judge him on the eight games last year, as morale was rock bottom andit wasn't his squad - in the same way that I could take control of Real Madrid tomorrow and probably win a fair few games.

You have to judge a manager on his merits as a manager and Shearer has none.

I believe all managers have to earn their crust at a lower level and work their way up, Shearer hasn't done that.

And, let's be clear, the reason Ashley hasn't brought Shearer in is because he doesn't want to be undermined like he was with Keegan.

Ashley knows that, if there was ever a disagreement between Ashley and Shearer, the fans would always side with Shearer and you can't have that level of emotion overiding rational decisions.

We need the right man for the job and I believe Shearer isn't it (yet).

To be successful in football, you can't be too influenced by emotion.

The fact is: Shearer is an unproven manager.

It is grossly unfair to judge him on the eight games last year, as morale was rock bottom andit wasn't his squad - in the same way that I could take control of Real Madrid tomorrow and probably win a fair few games.

You have to judge a manager on his merits as a manager and Shearer has none.

I believe all managers have to earn their crust at a lower level and work their way up, Shearer hasn't done that.

And, let's be clear, the reason Ashley hasn't brought Shearer in is because he doesn't want to be undermined like he was with Keegan.

Ashley knows that, if there was ever a disagreement between Ashley and Shearer, the fans would always side with Shearer and you can't have that level of emotion overiding rational decisions.

We need the right man for the job and I believe Shearer isn't it (yet).

If it's a choice between Shearer and Hughton, I'd take Shearer. If it's a choice between Shearer and JFK/DOL, I'd take Shearer. If it's a choice between Shearer and any available manager I'd have an open mind, but we need a long term appointee and I'd question whether a Coppell or Curbishley appointee would fit the bill. Appointing Shearer would be an act of faith but he might have the potential to take the club to the upper reaches of the prem, unlike the likes of Curbishley imo. There's also the important question of who we can realistically get, since most self respecting managers will steer a million miles clear of the clowns currently in charge.

In reality I think the choice will be between Hughton and Hughton, with Hughton getting sacked either this season or early next season.

I was thinking about finishing that last post with: "we should keep him" but then thought about what the opinion of him might be when we lose a game. Sometimes I wonder if this streak we are on is a "honeymoon" phase from being in a different league...

These two sentences stand out for what they are, utter bullshit.

One Ashley the cunt hasn't been spot on once in his decisions with the club.

And two, Keegan was the one undermined by Ashley and his bunch of cronies. Don't ever be mistaken, there was only one person, well actually no there are thousands of us, who were sold a lie.

Edited by sammynb

And two, Keegan was the one undermined by Ashley and his bunch of cronies. Don't ever be mistaken, there was only one person, well actually no there are thousands of us, who were sold a lie.

I think you misread what he meant (though I could be wrong ;))

You're right, KK was undermined by Ashley (who, yes, is a cunt), but a feasable reason he was undermined was because Ashley felt KK had too much influence with the supporters and was willing to speak his mind--which undermined Ashley.

One Ashley the cunt hasn't been spot on once in his decisions with the club.

Hang on, you're judging on something you don't know the context of.

First, when I said "Fatty is spot on" I meant the original poster in this thread, not Ashley. FFS!

And second, I never said Ashley's decisions were right or wrong. I was simply looking at it from Ashley's perspective.

For what it's worth, my view is that Ashley's decision to bring in that little runt Wise was an absolute disaster.

You cannot have a situation where the manager is having players bought for him, yet is being asked to take responsibility for their failure.

Now, from Ashley's perspective, Keegan knew about Wise's appointment and, rather than talk to him about it at an early stage, he confronted him about it around transfer window time and effectively said "change it or I'll go."

Keegan knew full well that, if Ashley said 'no' he could walk and get the full backing of the fans - rightly or wrongly - and Ashley FELT undermined by that.

I was simply saying that Ashley will not want to be put in that situation again.

I think you misread what he meant (though I could be wrong ;))

You're right, KK was undermined by Ashley (who, yes, is a cunt), but a feasable reason he was undermined was because Ashley felt KK had too much influence with the supporters and was willing to speak his mind--which undermined Ashley.

Exactly.

Couldn't've put it better myself.