Taylor in talks with Everton

Craig

I think the point is less about Taylor and more about selling arguably your best defender, certainly your best centre half and 1 of only 2 senior centre backs at of the club. If Taylor had gone at the beginning and it were Bassong leaving Id say the same.

It's not that Taylor is great it's that he's the best, and all, we've got.

I don't think his departure means our relegation. I do think it's of significant detriment to our promotion hopes. Especially if he's not adequately replaced. Which he won't be

I still don't see the financial benefit in selling him though. We won't get a stack of cash and he's not on massive wages. It's like selling Hughes when we did. Just makes no sense.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find this baffling. I know Taylor is no great shakes but he's surely good enough for the championship, understands the toon and the fans, is settled, won't be on top wages and won't fetch a top price. Plus if we sell him to Everton we'll probably get the fee in instalments. And he can score the occasional goal at set pieces. And he's young and usually stays fit.

Ashley seems determined to sell anyone he can to whoever he can regardless of the consequences. He doesn't seem to care that the squad gets thinner and thinner and the window's about to close. Hughton said recently there were no plans to sign anyone. Maybe we can look forward to Fat Mike lining up at the back in black n white?

Moving on, say Taylor is on £30,000 a week. That's £1,560,000 a year. Say Coloccini is on £60,000 a week, that's £3,120,000 a year. We sell Taylor for £8 million, that's a total of £9,560,000 difference across a single season, or £11,276,000 over a two year period. We sell Coloccini for £4 million, that's a total of £7,120,000 difference across a single season, or £10,240,000 over a two year period.

Coloccini still has 4 years to run on his 5 year contract. Taylor still has 2 years to run on his three year contract extension.

I know you can't sell what noone wants to buy, but surely someone in Spain will take him for less than half of what was paid for him 12 months ago.

The difference is in the actual cash that comes to Ash, Sideshow Bob could well have a future sale value clause where x% of the profit goes to his former club, theres nothing like that with Taylor, its cold hard cash. Same with Bassong, kid was on peanuts so was costing us bugger all but he went because the offer meant money in the pocket.

Cynically, it also says sell off those you know are on Shearers "keep them" list, making it harder to carry out the plans he had, on a brighter note that may mean a sale is imminent and all this is out of spite.

*my head hurts :D

If Deportivo managed to get a percentage of Coloccini's resale UNDER the price that they sold him for, then they're a bunch of geniuses!

ffs man, as soon as he goes Sol Campbell is coming.

this is what Ashley will do for the time being, sell a few more 'stars' for 3-6 million and bring in much cheaper replacements.

his main aim will be to get the 2 Argies off the wage bill and possibly follow that with Barton/Smith/Nolan/Xisco/Geremi.

by the time of the last week of the window, I'd expect those premier clubs who haven't got off to a good start {Bolton, Stoke, Hull, Blackburn, Pompey} to be sniffing around Barton and Smith but until it happens, games will be won and the chance of a quick return to the ptremier will still be on.

What have you been told about sniffing glue? :D

"I keep hearing about players leaving St James' Park should we go down and my name has been bandied about, but I am going nowhere. I am a Geordie and Newcastle United is my team and I am staying put whatever happens."

Same as the rest of them, I couldn't hold it against the other who left but Taylor has fucked me off with his attempts to be the local hero and now it looks like he's jumping ship at the first opportunity.

Edited by ewerk

Same as the rest of them, I couldn't hold it against the rest of them but it's Taylor has fucked me off with his attempts to be the local hero and now it looks like he's jumping ship and the first opportunity.

Exactly. I don't blame him but save all that shit man. It's bollocks. We'll now be expected to believe he's absolutely heartbroken and so on.

Same as the rest of them, I couldn't hold it against the rest of them but it's Taylor has fucked me off with his attempts to be the local hero and now it looks like he's jumping ship and the first opportunity.

Exactly. I don't blame him but save all that shit man. It's bollocks. We'll now be expected to believe he's absolutely heartbroken and so on.

Its not like he has been asked to take a reduction in wages or that he has an international place to protect, lets face it there are 5 or 6 defenders ahead of him in that regard, it can only be assumed, if he does go, that it is to further his career and is not even willing to give us a season to get back up.

Tbh I couldn't give a shit which of the current crop of players go its the lack of replacements.

He's on £35k a week, thst vast sum coupled with his ''love for the club'' should be enough for some loyalty In my opinion.

"Alan Shearer chose to stay with us because he was a real fan of the club, he could have left numerous times for more money and more success but he didn't. If Taylor goes then he might as well sever all ties with the club and never associate himself with it again, he'll be branded as a liar and a sham."

... is what I just got sent.

E E E E his Facebook status says he's off to Merseyside for a medical!

Must be true! It's really him aswell, trust me! :D

Well thats a bumer

Any one else got Taylor as facebook friend

My GF has nile ranger which is pretty cool (must be because she's blonde)