Taylor in talks with Everton

Craig

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everton agree a deal to sign Distin and Villa agree a deal to sign Dunne.

Looks like Steven Taylor will be staying put - that said, watch him go and sign for Pompey as Distin's replacement :cry:

comical_ali-1.jpg

Sorry mate, good Div 2 team, but a skeleton squad for a minimum 48 league and cup games.

top notch :(:cry:

Everyone will get injuries and everyone has small squads - nee bother I tell ya. There's boro unloading Huth and Sanli and my sunlun mate reckons Johnson is signing for them before the deadline nailed on apparently

Taylor vows to stay at Newcastle

Newcastle defender Steven Taylor has committed himself to the Championship club and vowed to lead them back into the Premier League.

The 23-year-old has been linked with a move away from St James' Park following the Magpies relegation last season.

"I was part of the team involved in taking Newcastle down and I want to put it right," he told the Daily Express.

"There has been interest but I want to be part of the side that takes us back where we belong."

Taylor has reportedly been a target this summer for both Aston Villa and Everton, the latter particularly in the wake of the sale of Joleon Lescott to Manchester City.

Last season's relegation, coupled with the financial uncertainty at Newcastle as a result of owner Mike Ashley's frustrated attempts to sell the club has resulted in the sale of a number of key players this summer.

Michael Owen was out of contract at the end of last season and joined Manchester United, while Sebastien Bassong, Obefami Martins, Damien Duff and Habib Beye have all departed recently.

However, Newcastle have started this season in the second tier in impressive fashion with three wins and a draw and they can claim top spot in the Championship table by beating Leicester at St James' Park on Monday.

Taylor says he wants to help to reward the long-suffering Newcastle fans for their loyalty.

"I know how much the fans were hurt by relegation and now I want to help put a smile back on their faces," added Taylor.

"They are the best in the country and there's no way I want to leave them."

It would have meant more if he had've came out and said it two weeks ago.

Edited by ewerk

Perhaps but realistically it would have meant any deal was dead in the water. Now it just looks to me that he's waited to see what will happen and now that nothing has materialised he's happy to 'commit'.

Good, we need him desperately.

I'd give him a go upfront if we're short.

Nah, I wouldn't. I know he's good at attacking the ball from set-pieces and he's scored the odd one with his foot but if you played him upfront he'd really struggle playing with his back to goal for most of the game. Plus, we need him in central defence anyway.

it just looks to me that he's waited to see what will happen and now that nothing has materialised he's happy to 'commit'.

Exactly.

It's the same old shite any player spouts when a chance of a move comes to nothing. They go straight to the papers, say the magic words, "Great team, Great Fans, Great ground, Never wanted to leave, ect, ect.

Edited by Angelus71

imo he's always wanted to stay but was torn because of the state of the club. He's a toon fan too remember. I think he's saying it now to ward off any potential moves before the window closes. I think he's felt forced into saying something because he's been advised the club have wanted to sell him. Its much the same as when Barton came out and said he wanted to stay amidst all the rumours the club were trying to sell him (and every fucker else) last year, albeit Keegan is allegedly to have told him to do it.

I am glad if he stays, still think there's time yet though and Ashley could try force a sale :lol:

It just seems odd, he's always been in the press saying he doesn't want to leave and his loyalty lies with NUFC, but people slated him for that, then when he shuits up for two weeks, people slate him for that.

I'm not leaping onto a grenade for him, I just think people have made their minds up about the lad and aren't willing to believe that he does actually have loyalty to the club.

It just seems odd, he's always been in the press saying he doesn't want to leave and his loyalty lies with NUFC, but people slated him for that, then when he shuits up for two weeks, people slate him for that.

I'm not leaping onto a grenade for him, I just think people have made their minds up about the lad and aren't willing to believe that he does actually have loyalty to the club.

I agree with you to be honest. I think his comments are cringeworthy at times but he can't win on this one with some people.

I'm glad that he appears to be staying but I'm just asking why he didn't come out and say it when all the talk was that he was going?