Toon bid hopefuls backed by New York firm

Geordiejihad

at what cost though Leazes?

virtually all of our first team squad are massively overpaid (performance related)... 60k a week for some players that in my eyese are absolutely not good enough for the premier league.

I don't want some of them gone, i just wish we'd sorted relegation clauses in their contracts...

relegation ?

Relegation clauses are fair enough, but who thought we would be relegated a couple of years ago ?

As for performance related pay, IMO this should be implemented throughout the game, but the PFA would not agree to it. It has nothing to do with our results last season though. Just one point, in any one game, a goal by someone bought in January, a save made by Given, a free kick or assist by Milner, and we would have stayed up.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

further point.

I'm pleasantly surprised at the morale and determination of the players so far. It isn't what I expected at all. Great credit is due to Hughton [i'm not advocating he gets the job permanently here BTW].

We have 6 or 7 players who, at this level, could be of the top players in this league if they are kept at the club. Taylor, Enrique, Smith, Barton, Jonas, and 2 keepers. The problem is the rest, and the small squad when we get some injuries and suspensions.

What a pity we hadn't kept Bassong and Beye [not to mention Given, Milner and Zoggy] although we would not have gone down if we had kept those 3 players.

"Everything counts in large amounts"...Da da dao dao dao...dao dao dao..da da....

The live version on '101' is fucking mint.

This saga has "Blasphemous Rumours" as it's soundtrack (which is mint on 101 as well).

I can accept that the wage bill was too high, but its all part of the chase for success, if you want the best players you have to find the money.

But the wheels fall off when you don't get the best players - or even "sort of alright" players either. That's your issue, guys.

"Everything counts in large amounts"...Da da dao dao dao...dao dao dao..da da....

The live version on '101' is fucking mint.

This saga has "Blasphemous Rumours" as it's soundtrack (which is mint on 101 as well).

:icon_lol:

further point.

I'm pleasantly surprised at the morale and determination of the players so far. It isn't what I expected at all. Great credit is due to Hughton [i'm not advocating he gets the job permanently here BTW].

We have 6 or 7 players who, at this level, could be of the top players in this league if they are kept at the club. Taylor, Enrique, Smith, Barton, Jonas, and 2 keepers. The problem is the rest, and the small squad when we get some injuries and suspensions.

What a pity we hadn't kept Bassong and Beye [not to mention Given, Milner and Zoggy] although we would not have gone down if we had kept those 3 players.

couldn't agree more to this....

further point.

Selling Zoggy AND Milner is probably what took us down.

I can accept that the wage bill was too high, but its all part of the chase for success, if you want the best players you have to find the money.

But the wheels fall off when you don't get the best players - or even "sort of alright" players either. That's your issue, guys.

that is bad judgement by the manager though, outside of the remit of the board.

further point.

Selling Zoggy AND Milner is probably what took us down.

yes.

Louise Taylor

Barry Moat's hopes of taking control at St James' Park hinge on Newcastle United either reducing their overdraft with Barclays by Monday or the bank relaxing its rules on lending to Championship clubs.

Moat was yesterday offered another week to secure the funding required to purchase Newcastle by Mike Ashley, the current owner, but the Tyneside property developer has not yet convinced Barclays, the club's bankers, he is worth the risk of underwriting. If Moat's bid collapses, Ashley will remain in control for another season before attempting to find a viable buyer next summer.

Newcastle have a £40 million working overdraft facility, of which, according to club sources, they owe Barclays approximately £20m – but that arrangement ends on Monday night. As things stand, Barclays will renew the agreement on Tuesday but with a reduced overdraft ceiling of £10 million, the maximum sum the bank is generally prepared to lend to Championship clubs.

Should Newcastle, currently making stringent efforts to reduce their liabilities by selling three players before the transfer window closes next week, fail to halve their current £20m debt level by Tuesday, Barclays will demand an immediate repayment of £10m. For every day it goes unpaid punitive rates of interest will be charged.

Ashley has the funds to meet that debt, but such a demand would scupper Moat's hopes of buying the club and installing Alan Shearer as the new manager. The property developer and his backers are already struggling to meet Ashley's basic £100m asking price. He and his advisers are trying to persuade Barclays that Newcastle is a special case, worthy of the sort of significantly higher working overdraft facility they need.

Moat and Seymour Pierce, the investment bank endeavouring to broker the sale, were encouraged when Barclays in the North East indicated that a larger loan may be possible but this idea was vetoed by senior management in London who are now reviewing Newcastle's position. Moat is proposing that the club's capacity to draw large home crowds – almost 44,000 watched their win against Sheffield Wednesday last Wednesday – demands different financial treatment.

Ideally Barclays would be most comfortable if £10m was raised in the next week and the club could then conform to the Championship lending ceiling. This though would impact severely on Moat's hopes of fulfilling Shearer's managerial ambitions.

Although Chris Hughton's caretaker management has brought the best out in the team and they have won three and draw one of their four Championship fixtures to date, Newcastle's squad is already worryingly thin.

Having already lost nine players, and signed just one on loan, this summer injuries in key positions could damage Newcastle's promotion hopes. Hughton has stated they can ill afford to lose anymore players and may be privately heartened by the reality that off-loading the trio earmarked for sale - Steven Taylor, Fabricio Coloccini and Jonas Gutierrez - could be easier said than done.

Coloccini, an Argentine international defender, cost £10m last summer but his £71,000 weekly salaries allied to an on-going struggle to adapt to English football has deterred potential suitors. Meanwhile Coloccini's compatriot, Gutierrez is a winger whose promising approach play is all too often betrayed by poor crossing.

Of the three Taylor is probably the most saleable but despite much talk of interest from Everton, David Moyes has consistently played down talk of the former England Under-21 international centre-half moving to Goodison Park. Taylor is not overly keen on leaving Tyneside but has told friends he fears "the club are trying to force me out."

Hughton meanwhile has urged Ashley to enhance Newcastle's promotion chances by signing Sol Campbell and Peter Lovenkrands, the former England defender and Danish winger, currently free agents, on one-year deals.

Ashley is said to be very impressed by Hughton's stewardship and, should Moat's bid fall through, may offer the former Tottenham coach the manager's job in preference to David O'Leary.

So we need 10million. If that happens though by the time the sale goes through we will have maybe two days max to buy players?? and would of sold another three to gain the 10million. JOKE

Should Newcastle, currently making stringent efforts to reduce their liabilities by selling three players before the transfer window closes next week, fail to halve their current £20m debt level by Tuesday, Barclays will demand an immediate repayment of £10m. For every day it goes unpaid punitive rates of interest will be charged.

At least this makes it perfectly clear/makes some sense of why they might be selling, for example, Steven Taylor in the next few days.

However, I would appreciate actually hearing something from the club rather than the newspaper.