Toon bid hopefuls backed by New York firm

Geordiejihad

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorted in so much as Ashley announces he couldn't find a suitable buyer. Nothing else

"Oh dear, it appears we seem to have gone past the transfer window, my bad lol tbh"[/ashley]

A single crow was perched on the ledge outside my window.

Portent? Lazy crow? The devil at large? Crow epidemic in Hamburg? Remake of the Omen? Parky hallucination? Parky feeds the birds, tuppence a bag?

So many questions, so few answers.....

Portent? Lazy crow? The devil at large? Crow epidemic in Hamburg? Remake of the Omen? Parky hallucination? Parky feeds the birds, tuppence a bag?

He watches.

He watches.

He eats a sandwich.

He watches.

He eats a sandwich.

He lova da sandwich isn't it? :lol:

So, what to make of the latest new bidder, then? Lancastrian “businessman” Geoff Sheard is fronting an “American-backed” consortium., and what Sheard doesn’t know about protracted bids for Football League Championship clubs isn’t worth knowing. He has a wealth of experience from his go at Sheffield Wednesday. For all his wealth of knowledge, he didn’t have a wealth of, well, wealth. Which is why the Wednesday saga pretty much wrote the template for such things. Wednesday’s hunt for new investors had lasted over a year before Sheard emerged. Putative Birmingham City owner Carson Yeung, leisure millionaire Paul Gregg and any number of “mystery”, usually Russian or Swiss-backed, consortia were on their list.

One Kenneth William Bates had previously -and misguidedly - been supported by the club’s supporters’ trust, Wednesdayite, in his brief battle to take over control from incumbent chairman Dave Allen. This, unsurprisingly, caused a residual resentment by Allen towards them, which hampered the investment hunt. Wednesday’s labyrinthine share structure was also block to significant new investment. Allen and two other directors held 30% of the club between them. And Wednesdayite held a pivotal 10% share. Wednesdayites’ shareholding was unsellable without trust members’ democratically-expressed approval and many potential investors felt that the work involved in garnering enough control to justify significant investment was simply too much.

Sheard seemed happy enough to gain whatever control a 29.9% shareholding afforded him, even though he couldn’t offer to buy any more than that without having, by law, to offer to buy the remaining 70% too. This necessitated approaching Wednesdayite for their 10%. After four months of newspaper headlines varying none-too-wildly from the “takeover still on track” tack so favoured by Sulaiman Al-Fahim during his Portsmouth negotiations, Sheard made them an offer that over 90% of them couldn’t refuse. This overwhelming acceptance was subject to a number of conditions, including the all-too-often deal-breaking words “proof of funds.” They proved to be this deal’s breaker too.

After some thorough investigative journalism from the Yorkshire Post’s Rob Waugh, stories appeared throughout September of Sheard’s financial problems, both personal and those of potential associates. Sheard reacted bitterly to these revelations: “This is ridiculous, I’m not buying Sheffield Wednesday”, he squealed to the Post, and you almost felt sorry for him until you remembered that he’d happily allowed that impression to be created, while freeloading in Wednesday’s directors’ box.

But what was eventually “very clear” to Wednesday was that they had been hoodwinked almost from the word go. Sheard’s “proof of (initial) funding” back in January 2008 was a letter he’d purportedly received from Caribbean island Dominica’s “Private Capital Bank”, claiming that 100 million euros “in cleared funds with full valid provenance” was available in one of the bank’s accounts for the “acquisition of controlling shares in an English Football League club” . The bank had none of the above. It had a licence but had yet to start operating and the letter, unsigned, allegedly came from a ‘Richard Francis’ who quickly emerged as “Richard Francis Downes”, a once-convicted money-launderer who had used the bank’s name as a way into negotiations to buy Chester City in August 2007.

Alles ist da...

http://www.twohundredpercent.net/?p=1904

Edited by Park Life

Surely he would know all this would come out?

Puzzled!

Bisen comish oder??

was zum Teufel soll das denn jetzt

The devil is already inside. :lol:

Typed " what the fuck does that say" into google translate and thats what it gave me! :blush:

Literal translation is "It's strange(comish) or?

Come Tuesday 5pm , i shall pour myself a very large glass of wine , stick some suitably mournful Morrissey on the Cd player , and contemplate the FACT , that this club was never for sale , that every Thai , Yank , Local "buyout" was a press release issued indirectly via Llambias/Ashley . 25 000 fans have been taken for fools yet again , and all it takes to get the poor sods hoping , is yet another bullshit rumour about a possible takeover . I for one do not believe the latest buyout nonsense and wont be going back this side of Ashleys death , hopefully with a stake driven through his big fat chest - just to make sure !

I don't think Tuesday is that much of a big deal now that we are out of the top flight, it will signify the end of players leaving but in terms of players coming in we can still make signings.

Come Tuesday 5pm , i shall pour myself a very large glass of wine , stick some suitably mournful Morrissey on the Cd player , and contemplate the FACT , that this club was never for sale , that every Thai , Yank , Local "buyout" was a press release issued indirectly via Llambias/Ashley . 25 000 fans have been taken for fools yet again , and all it takes to get the poor sods hoping , is yet another bullshit rumour about a possible takeover . I for one do not believe the latest buyout nonsense and wont be going back this side of Ashleys death , hopefully with a stake driven through his big fat chest - just to make sure !

I know where you're coming from, I honestly believe that most fans now see these stories and think "aye reet, another load of shite", well most, apart from CT who thinks "wooohooo, it'll be sorted by the end of the week!" :lol:.

I know for definite that at least two of the bids are not fabrications of the fat lads but would put plenty money on the fact that most, if not all of the rest are either publicity seekers or out and out bullshit put up by Ashley.

PP Are you ITK? : )

Not really, just the stuff through the NUSC, from the dealings we've had with certain prospective purchasers I know that they're not just in it for publicity. For all the shite that surrounds Roberts and the Fans410 bid there is a robust sound plan for purchase, running and squad improvement. Its just a shame that they've stuck GR out there to front it.

Its like putting Stevie out as the PR man for a Villa bid. :lol:

Not really, just the stuff through the NUSC, from the dealings we've had with certain prospective purchasers I know that they're not just in it for publicity. For all the shite that surrounds Roberts and the Fans410 bid there is a robust sound plan for purchase, running and squad improvement. Its just a shame that they've stuck GR out there to front it.

You wonder why they didn't think to come in alot ealier, get talking to the likes of NUSC and other fan groups asap and see if it was really a runner or not. Or even get on board with somebody like Moat or (heaven forbid) a fat fred and combine one wealthy guy taking a percentage of the club with the fans taking the rest. How big each sides percentage is would of course be the source of much debate i'm sure.

Indeed. They might as well have chosen Dennis Wise. They're from a slightly different generation of players but I have the same opinion of both.