Toon bid hopefuls backed by New York firm

Geordiejihad

Look, he's not writing Shearer off, he's just saying he thinks he'll be a disaster here. FFS, why am I even bothering? :D

Fuck me Alex..... :D

Sometimes you do come across as an absolute spoiled little child. :D

The point I was making is why bothering debating something with someone who's contradicted themself in the space of two posts. You can try and portray that as childish but it's not very convincing to be honest.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I'm the one 'splitting hairs'? Righto. You said you thought he'd be a disaster. You 'fear' he'll be a Roy Keane mark 2.

I don't see this queue of better managers dying to come here either, do you?

Edited by alex

And I'm the one 'splitting hairs'? Righto. You said you thought he'd be a disaster. You 'fear' he'll be a Roy Keane mark 2.

Silly comment. :D

Im sure once a takeover has been completed there will be a whole host of very good managers wanting a 3million a year job at one of the countrys biggest clubs. :D

How is it a silly comment? Surely you have to be realistic about who will come here. Resting your hopes on a (as yet) nonexistent takeover is pretty silly however.

Im sure once a takeover has been completed there will be a whole host of very good managers wanting a 3million a year job at one of the countrys biggest clubs. :D

How is it a silly comment? Surely you have to be realistic about who will come here. Resting your hopes on a (as yet) nonexistent takeover is pretty silly however.

Hold on, the whole premise of the last few pages was based on who will be manager following a takeover :D

Well I took your previous post to mean a takeover with the sort of money that would attract top managers with loads of money to spend. I didn't think you meant Moat, for example.

Hold on, the whole premise of the last few pages was based on who will be manager following a takeover :D

Well I took your previous post to mean a takeover with the sort of money that would attract top managers with loads of money to spend. I didn't think you meant Moat, for example.

Well Moats on record as saying he's appointing Shearer and he wont come cheap.

If you were on about Moat, discussing alternatives as manager doesn't make sense then, does it? Seeing as it's a done deal. :D

There's risk associated with appointing Shearer obviously. However there's also great possibility. If he has the rest of the season to settle in, learn the ropes and find his way of doing things etc, and we got promoted, we might emerge as a stronger club for it. CH is doing well atm but I feel Shearer may have more potential long term and would be a greater attraction for signings.

In reality I believe we are stuck with Ashley and Hughton so it's somewhat academic. Rather have Moat and Shearer on balance though, just to see the back of the fat shirt seller.

You painted yourself into that particular corner. What questions (or anything else) have I dodged exactly?

You said

Implying Moat has no money so couldnt afford big manager wages.

I pointed out to you that Moats already confirmed he is going to pay big wages to get Shearer.

The only one of us with paint on our shoes is you :D

You can now agree with me (if you wish) that following a takeover, there will indeed be a queue of better managers wanting the job. :D

I think it's fair to assume that, even if Moat is a genuine bidder, he hasn't got megabucks. The delay would tend to suggest that, especially given it's only just been reported that a formal bid has finally been made. That's not the same as not being able to pay Shearer's wages though. For one thing they would still be fairly small in relation to the turnover of the club and it's not like there'd be a transfer fee. Bearing in mind what I've said, I don't think Moat is going to be able to finance the buying of lots of players and certainly not top players straight away. Again though, if you aren't on about Moat, we're getting back to the nonexistent billionaires or whatever. If you are on about Moat, the job's Shearer's anyway according to you.

Meanwhile, back in the takeover thread..... :D

Simon Bird would like to add the following

Mike Ashley’s long running quest to sell Newcastle United has taken a new twist after City sources confirmed that a new South African bidder had emerged.

A wealthy bond dealer is known to have done a form of due diligence, examining United’s accounts in detail, throwing a bid by Tyneside businessman Barry Moat into doubt.

Ashley has received a formal offer from Moat, but has stalled on accepting and has not seen proof that any bidders have the funds to buy the club.

The saga has rumbled on so long without Ashley forcing through a sale that close confidants are wondering if he intends to keep the £100million club.

Ashley has to pay Kevin Keegan his £2million pay off by Friday.

But the pair are also locked in a dispute over the £1.5million legal costs for their 15 month legal battle which ended last Friday with a Premier League Arbitraion Panel ruling in Keegan’s favour that he was a victim of constructive dismissal.

Keegan denies being offered a £4million settlement out of court, but Ashley chum Dennis Wise has claimed there was an attempt to pay Keegan off before the hearing.

and we all know Dennis never tells porkies, does he?

George at the Times

Moat, the preferred bidder of Seymour Pierce, the investment bank that has been hired by Mike Ashley to push through a sale, has yet to receive a response from Newcastle after finally submitting a formal bid for the club, five months after they were placed on the market.

The reason for yet another delay to a laborious process has now become apparent, with the South African group, headed by a prominent bond dealer, conducting the due diligence process directly with the club.

The £100M asking price has been matched, however, we are still in negotiations and all parties involved are at sale and purchase stage.

Mike Ashley will accept the first bid which matches his £100m valuation of Newcastle United as the owner looks to make a rapid exit from the troubled Championship club. Ashley, is determined to get the money he wants and is not interested in an auction.

:D

Edited by Happy Face

You get the impression the whole process is so tortuous nobody will buy the club. Why doesn't Ashley just take it off the market?

You get the impression that the club is not on the market?

:D

Edited by Kitman

If the local rags and other media had the balls they could run a few get out of town front page stories and help make his mind up.

Mike,

FUCK OFF

Everyone else has accepted his mind was made up long ago and he isn't selling. Once you accept it you'll be a lot calmer.

The 'For Sale' ruse has allowed him to sell all our players without replacing them over 3 transfer windows and will allow him to continue that policy come January and still maintain 40k+ crowds.

REPORT: QUINTET IN TOON TALKS

Posted 07/10/09 10:41

Five different consortia are competing to complete a takeover at Newcastle, Press Association Sport understands.

Tyneside businessman Barry Moat is one of the interested parties, and the preferred bidder of investment bankers Seymour Pierce, who were engaged by owner Mike Ashley to find a buyer back in May.

However, four other groups, all understood to be based overseas - one of them in South Africa - are also currently engaged in dialogue with the hierarchy at St James' Park.

In each case the interest is long-standing, and the resolution of former manager Kevin Keegan's case for constructive dismissal last week has opened the way for a deal to be struck.

Keegan's legal team, of course, were seeking a total of more than £25million in damages and an award of that magnitude would have had serious financial consequences for the Magpies and any future owner.

But the club were eventually ordered to pay the 58-year-old £2million, a sum that is manageable within the vastly-reduced budget upon which they are operating in the wake of relegation from the Premier League.

However, while the removal of a major obstacle to any sale has opened the way for significant progress in the takeover saga, there is still some way to go before a deal can be pushed through.

Ashley is still keen to sell but Newcastle's positive start to the season on the field has slightly reduced the urgency to do so.

The sportswear magnate has insisted from the off he wants £100million for the club and that price remains non-negotiable despite speculation some would-be owners believe they can gain control for less.

In addition, Ashley wants the successful candidates to prove they have the cash up front to complete a buy-out, something none of the five have done as yet.

But sources on Tyneside insist, as they have done from the start, no timescale has been imposed on the ongoing discussions and it is simply a matter of who is first past the post.

Newcastle are, of course, a much leaner outfit than they were a few months ago, although that is the result of necessity rather than prudence in the wake of a massive reduction in revenue following the drop from the top flight.

Many members of last season's squad - the likes of Michael Owen, Mark Viduka, Obafemi Martins, Sebastien Bassong, Damien Duff, Habib Beye and Claudio Cacapa - have departed and the annual wage bill has fallen from £74million to around half that figure.

Against the odds, the Magpies still led the Championship table by three points going into the break for international matches and, if they manage to sustain that level of performance and climb back into the big time, their income would increase dramatically once again.

However, so too would their need to buy, with the current squad short on numbers and much weaker in terms of quality than the one that slipped out of the division in May, and that would call for major investment from whoever was in the boardroom at the time.