Toon bid hopefuls backed by New York firm

Geordiejihad

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will Moat serve to protect New Castle from drowning?

Moat surrounds St James' Park

Portcullis signs for toon.

etc

Edited by trophyshy

Ashley is a fat fucking waste of space? oh, and erm Moat.

Sorry, havent quite got the hang of this :(

Oh I dunno a career for the News of the World beckons iyam.

Next years headlines? "Moat money, Mo problems"

Deal announced: Toon set for Re-moat Control

A tough first year in the job: Moat: "I'm totally drained"

And finally, the expose: Moat: I helped Robin Hood, portrayed as a fox in the Disney classic, to survive in me by breathing through a straw so that he evaded the clutches of the unpopular tyrant King John

And finally, the expose: Moat: I helped Robin Hood, portrayed as a fox in the Disney classic, to survive in me by breathing through a straw so that he evaded the clutches of the unpopular tyrant King John

:(:nufc::unsure:

:(

Tabloids.....

"when the moat comes in"

The Sun:

When the Moat comes in for Toon

By ANDREW DILLON

Published: Today

A NEWCASTLE tycoon is poised to save the Toon - and bring back Alan Shearer as boss.

The Sun can reveal businessman Barry Moat is the new frontrunner in a £100million buy-out from Mike Ashley.

And his first task will be to install Geordie legend Shearer as permanent manager.

Moat was chairman of Big Al's testimonial committee three years ago and the pair remain close.

He also has a plush executive box at St James' Park.

A City source last night confirmed: "Barry is Newcastle's best hope of salvation.

"Talks are well advanced, although nothing is signed yet.

"He's a Newcastle fan through and through. He loves the club and has been devastated by what's happened.

"He'll do everything he can to make this deal happen."

Newcastle fans are desperate for a local man to ride to their rescue after the nightmare of owner Ashley's disastrous reign.

Shearer went public in June and declared the club needed a northerner to repair the carnage left behind by Ashley's 'Cockney Mafia' of Dennis Wise, Derek Llambias and Tony Jimenez.

Moat invested substantial sums into the club's academy, saying: "As a lifelong Newcastle fan, I am delighted to support the club's new initiatives of investing in the academy and enabling more young fans in the region to see their heroes play.

"It's vital for a club like Newcastle to make sure it recruits the best young footballers at an early age and encourages them to develop their full potential."

Moat, founder and director of workplace retail giant Premier Direct, renewed his executive box at the club for five seasons in 2008.

Shearer is in a no-man's land, with Ashley reluctant to re-appoint him as Newcastle boss until a new owner is found.

Despite his failure to save the club from relegation to the Championship, Shearer is far and away the fans' favourite.

Deal off: Moat evaporates

Sex scandal: How I straddled Moat

Club on the mend: Now we're Moat-oring

Club relegated, Moat sells up: Toon De-Moated

Etc

With the start of the new Championship season looming, Telegraph Sport can disclose that Moat was in London on Wednesday night holding talks with representatives from investment bank Seymour Pierce, who are handling the sale on Ashley's behalf. Talks are expected to continue on Thursday.

Sources said that while a deal had not yet been concluded, the negotiations with Moat represented the best "exit strategy" for Ashley, who is facing losses of at least £100 million.

If a deal can be agreed the formal takeover could take several weeks to complete, but crucially it would allow the club to prepare for the new season with some certainty.

Ashley has set an informal deadline of the end of this week for the takeover, but has approached Joe Kinnear about returning as manager should the deal fall through.

Should Moat succeed, he is likely to approach Shearer to return to the manager's chair two months after he vacated having failed to keep the club in the Premier League.

Under the terms of the proposed deal Moat would put in £50 million of his own money and bring in a further £50 million of outside investment to meet Ashley's asking price.

The source of the external investment remains uncertain, but Moat is understood to be confident that he can secure bank or private equity finance to make up the shortfall.

Moat has mapped out a vision for the revival of the club based around a new management team, and is hopeful that investors will buy into the prospect of a swift return to the Premier League.

Due diligence on the club's books has been carried out by corporate lawyer Timothy Smalley.

Moat has been linked with a possible takeover of the club in the past. A millionaire with diverse business interests across the North East, he has significant property holdings and a development portfolio. He is a director of several telecoms companies offering cheap internet-based call services.

Should he succeed in pulling off the deal he is likely to be popular with supporters who crave a local owner to take the club forward.

Despite clearing most of Newcastle's historic debt when he took over, Ashley's apparent disregard for the club's heritage and the reckless decision-making that contributed to relegation have won him only enemies on Tyneside.

Locally owned and with Shearer at the helm, the club would gain important momentum as they attempt to win promotion at the first attempt.

A swift return to the Premier League would help alleviate the dire financial consequences of relegation. Newcastle's wage bill stands at more than £65 million, and with Championship revenues likely to be little more than £40 million, the outlook is sobering.

Agency First Artists has a mandate from Ashley to offload the highest wage-earners, and at the weekend they secured the sale of Obafemi Martins to Wolfsburg, bringing in €10 million (£8.5 million) and knocking up to £3 million off the wage bill.

Further sales will follow, with Sebastien Bassong likely to depart in the coming days for around £9 million and other well-paid players expected to follow

Slightly concerned by the notion of him "struggling" to attract investors.

If there is truth in this story I wonder how Moat gets on with Shepherd and Hall?

I think both of those owe a moral debt (I know, I know) to the club and should be tapped for investment imo.

sorry

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-...72703-24331167/

Newcastle United play down latest take over report

NEWCASTLE United have today quashed talk that Tyneside businessman Barry Moat was set to be the new tycoon to take over the club.

Reports in the national press this morning claimed Moat was ready to be United's saviour but these reports have been dismissed.

Not that I don't trust the cronny, but lets wait for moaty to deny it. Shouldn't take him too long this morning to put out a denial if it's not true.

Thats probably where the story has come from. Sadly, I fully expected this to happen