Toon bid hopefuls backed by New York firm

Geordiejihad

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If i didnt laugh i'd cry!

This is a nightmare...in fact no its not....at least you wake up from a nightmare and resume normality!

FFS

80mil....surely theres some cash laden arab who can take a punt for that price!

Expect the club to be sold by the end of the decade, at best.

You know thats only a couple of months?

I think you're being a tad optimistic.

MIKE ASHLEY has slashed his asking price for Newcastle United by £20m to £80m in a last-ditch attempt to sell the football club.

The sportswear billionaire, who runs Sports Direct, has given Tyneside businessman Barry Moat one week to come up with the cash or he will pull the sale.

MIKE ASHLEY has slashed his asking price for Newcastle United by £20m to £80m in a last-ditch attempt to sell the football club.

The sportswear billionaire, who runs Sports Direct, has given Tyneside businessman Barry Moat one week to come up with the cash or he will pull the sale.

Moat was involved two years ago with a previous attempt to buy Newcastle United in partnership with Jon Asgeir Johannesson, the former boss of the Icelandic investment company Baugur, which went bust

Ashley told The Sunday Times: “Barry Moat has been driving me mad for two years. If he wants to buy the club, he’s got a one-off opportunity to come up with the cash — £80m upfront.”

RELATED LINKS

Ashley facing dilemma after substantial offer

Mike Ashley: from sporting rags to riches

It is thought that Moat has agreed to meet Ashley’s revised purchase price, but he wants to pay £40m now and £40m at the end of the football season.

Ashley said: “I have to put £20m a year into the club — I spend more than every other fan put together puts into the club each year. If you can’t pay upfront to buy the club, you can’t afford it.”

The tycoon said that if the sale falls through he will hang on to Newcastle and hand caretaker manager Chris Hughton a full-time contract following a successful start to the season, which has put the Magpies top of the Coca-Cola Championship.

“Chris deserves a shot at the title — he has done a great job. But if I keep the club I will have the final say on players.

I am the one who has to fund the club,” said Ashley.

If Newcastle can win promotion back to the Premier League, Ashley believes the club could be worth at least £150m.

He has suffered huge losses on his investment in Newcastle. He bought the club for £134m two years ago and has pumped in more than £120m to pay down its debts.

Asked if he regretted his decision to buy it, Ashley has said: “Of course I regret it.

I never said I was an expert in football clubs. I tried my best. But I accept my best was woefully short.”

The more I read this piece, the angrier I get.

I re-state my thoughts from a previous post;

Mike Ashley, I sincerely hope you end up broke and homeless, sucking off strangers for cider money.

Moat was involved two years ago with a previous attempt to buy Newcastle United in partnership with Jon Asgeir Johannesson, the former boss of the Icelandic investment company Baugur, which went bust

Ashley told The Sunday Times: “Barry Moat has been driving me mad for two years. If he wants to buy the club, he’s got a one-off opportunity to come up with the cash — £80m upfront.”

RELATED LINKS

Ashley facing dilemma after substantial offer

Mike Ashley: from sporting rags to riches

It is thought that Moat has agreed to meet Ashley’s revised purchase price, but he wants to pay £40m now and £40m at the end of the football season.

Ashley said: “I have to put £20m a year into the club — I spend more than every other fan put together puts into the club each year. If you can’t pay upfront to buy the club, you can’t afford it.”

The tycoon said that if the sale falls through he will hang on to Newcastle and hand caretaker manager Chris Hughton a full-time contract following a successful start to the season, which has put the Magpies top of the Coca-Cola Championship.

“Chris deserves a shot at the title — he has done a great job. But if I keep the club I will have the final say on players.

I am the one who has to fund the club,” said Ashley.

If Newcastle can win promotion back to the Premier League, Ashley believes the club could be worth at least £150m.

He has suffered huge losses on his investment in Newcastle. He bought the club for £134m two years ago and has pumped in more than £120m to pay down its debts.

Asked if he regretted his decision to buy it, Ashley has said: “Of course I regret it.

I never said I was an expert in football clubs. I tried my best. But I accept my best was woefully short.”

The more I read this piece, the angrier I get.

I re-state my thoughts from a previous post;

Mike Ashley, I sincerely hope you end up broke and homeless, sucking off tramps for a swig of cider.

Leaving Ashley to one side.

Its now time for all these pretenders to the throne to put up or shut up.

If the times quotes him as saying he'll accept 80 million cash, then that seems pretty clear and straightforward to me. All those who say "he doesnt want to sell", what do you make of it.

Surely Moat, Sheard etc should either pay up, publicly contradict Ashley statement or come clean that they have no money.

Theres only one surely out of this, and that is that surely even you must now realise Redheugh is full of shit.

If the times quotes him as saying he'll accept 80 million cash, then that seems pretty clear and straightforward to me. All those who say "he doesnt want to sell", what do you make of it.

Shock, horror, could Ashley be lying?! No, he's said it in the papers so it must be true.....

Mike Ashley has spoken publicly for the first time about retaining control of Newcastle United in the event of the club’s long-running takeover saga failing to reach fruition.

Ashley, the billionaire sportswear retailer, has reduced his price from £100 million to £80 million in an attempt to force through a sale, but has doubts over the ability of Barry Moat, the leading contender to buy the Coca-Cola Championship club, to muster the “upfront” funding. A rival South African consortium has also been conducting due diligence.

Should he remain, Ashley would retain the services of Chris Hughton, who has been acting as a caretaker manager. “Chris deserves a shot at the title — he has done a great job,” Ashley said. “But if I keep the club, I will have the final say on players.”

The latter statement will cause dismay: Kevin Nolan, the midfield player, claimed after Saturday’s 1-0 defeat away to Nottingham Forest that Hughton’s request for new players had “fallen on deaf ears”.

There was 20 million worth of sales from outgoing players after the 100 million price was 'announced'. If they was a real drop of 20 million pounds the price would be 60 million and not 80.

Shock, horror, could Ashley be lying?! No, he's said it in the papers so it must be true.....

Exactly why I said it is there on record for the other players such as moat to ca his bluff.

Moat's already offered £100m. As have two other groups. Llambias said so.

Now then Mike, Mikey boy, mate.

How about proving that bold statement?

When we were young and naive under your stewardship you made the same statement, that the club would be run properly and you would pump £20m per year in towards the purchase of new players. To date we've yet to see it.

Now we are a Championship club, we have slashed the wage bill, cut normal staff by 120 or so, reduced costs left right and centre. Shirts (even the yellow ones) are flying out of the club stores and the gates week in week out are unheard of for this level of football.

Yet you still make out that you're pumping the same amount of cash in annually with nothing to show for it, no purchases, no players of any form coming through the doors.

I say thats poppycock old boy, its a downright lie in fact.

As for Moat, the fact he wants to pay £40m now and £40m at the end of the season not only proves he doesnt have the cash but for me means that hes looking to get the club itself to bankroll half of the purchase.

Gillette, Hicks and Glazer come to mind.

He put in £20m in his first season....but it was a loan that's still outstanding so fuck knows why he's going on like it was an altruistic act that makes him the staunchest Newcastle fan in the stadium. If he doesn't get it back, it's his fault.

Funny to hear him moan about buyers that can't afford it too...when he himself has proven to be a buyer who couldn't afford it. He's spent every minute since arriving complaining about costs and has wound us down to championship running costs just so he can afford to keep hold of us.

Fat fuck.

Edited by Happy Face