Jonas to Barcelona?

Giraffidae

Jonas Gutierrez has admitted he would love the chance to move to Greek champions Olympiakos.

The Argentina international's representatives have been approached by Olympiakos about a possible move.

Gutierrez, who has failed to live up to expectations on Tyneside since his move from Real Mallorca last summer, is keen to quit relegated Newcastle in the hope of maintaining his international ambitions with Argentina.

"On Thursday my agent called me and told me about the interest of Olympiakos," he told Greek-based Sportday.

"He told me that he received a call from Olympiakos' people, who asked him if I wanted to play for them.

"I told my agent that I wouldn't say no to Olympiakos if they are going to make a good offer to me.

"Of course, everything depends on Newcastle. I have four more years contract with the English club and Olympiakos must agree with them first of all.

"My agent told me that the upcoming week is going to be crucial. He is expecting a new contact with Olympiakos on Monday.

"I know about Olympiakos and that they are a huge club. They are the Boca Juniors or the River Plate of Greece.

"For me is a big challenge to play the Champions League. I have a lot of energy in me and I want to make a fantastic season in order to be with my national team in South Africa for the World Cup.

"I want to leave Newcastle and go to a club which will give me the chance to fight for this place in my national team.

"I believe if I play well in the Champions League then Maradona is going to take a look at me."

even though he’s in the Argie squad on thursday anyway!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm mixed on this - I thought he started off well on Saturday and showed a lot of promise. But by the end of the game he was doing his usual and running into trouble then throwing himself to the ground trying to fake a free-kick out of it.

Asking the ref to card someone was a disgrace as well.

Whilst we're saying the likes of Smith has found his level, I worry that the Championship is anything but Jonas' level - think he's gonna get kicked to shit and that his own future doesn't lie in this country....

I'm mixed on this - I thought he started off well on Saturday and showed a lot of promise. But by the end of the game he was doing his usual and running into trouble then throwing himself to the ground trying to fake a free-kick out of it.

Asking the ref to card someone was a disgrace as well.

Whilst we're saying the likes of Smith has found his level, I worry that the Championship is anything but Jonas' level - think he's gonna get kicked to shit and that his own future doesn't lie in this country....

Agree with all that. It's a bit of a problem though, as much as I wouldn't be bothered with him going elsewhere we really do need to add some more players to the squad first. Damn the Argies! :lol:

I honestly think Geremi would be more of an asset in the Championship. Jonas' complete inability to put in any sort of semi-decent final ball is going to cost us dearly, especially when we have someone like Carroll about.

He isn't performing and is visibly unhappy so I suppose we should get the best valuewe can for him-at the same time there has to be some decent additions to the squad - not loans but long term, well thought out additions. So expect three tottenham juniors on loan and a ryan taylor lookkee likee

Would be happy about this if we had someone coming in to replace him (Chris Brunt)

Do you think Lua Lua will be given a chance if Jonas leaves then?

He'd have to be since we have nobody else similar to him at all. He'd probably get a decent run as well since there's no way Jonas will get replaced when he fucks off.

Reckon he's the type of player that's great as a piece of a puzzle, where all interlocking parts come together, but utterly incapable of playing in a system that doesn't play that specific way.

Hope we get decent money for him, but not going to miss him.

I bet the Greeks can’t afford his wages.

Isn’t he on a big wedge as we got him on that ‘free’ deal?

Olympiakos or Panathinaikos should be able to afford him... AEK as well. Teams outside of Athens though wouldn't be able to.

aye thats just what we need lads

a smaller squad

I see what your saying chap but honestly, I'd rather have a smaller squad than have a slightly larger squad with a complete fucking incompetent talentless overrated lump of fucking blind-alley running, can't deliver a cross, ever, lived on the back of one fucking good game at Manure last season, where were the other 37 you greasy, goalscoringless cunt. Fuck off spider.

I'd be glad to see the back of the bastard. The 50p footed freak couldn't pass the dutchy.

...but that would assume we were actually going to spend any of the money we've raked in off this transfer window.

EDIT: Or the previous 2

Edited by Happy Face