Jonas to Barcelona?

Giraffidae

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought he really dragged us forward well today and, while he doesn't have an end product, there's nobody in the squad who can run at players and we can use to launch counter attacks. I assume he won't be replaced.

My feelings too. Not perfect but nae other fecker with pace willing to run at folk. At least he got a shot on target. Still would be sad to see him leave.

Another one where if things were fine and we were in the prem i'd say yes, but with no squad as it is and a division lower i don't want anymore players out the door, especially as their replacements will likely be at best a bit worse and more likely non-existent!

Mixed feelings really, on one hand id let him go (loan would be a good idea) but on the other i think he could come good with a little confidence. Not to mention the squad size already!

Don't know about loaning him out. Ok would not have to pay wages but no chance of replacement (Fat Mike wants the cash) Only let him go if we can get anyone in who can run with ball at PACE AND CROSS. We don't have many(any?) others with pace so I would like to see him stay even though he drives me feckin' nuts most of the time :blink:

Mixed feelings really, on one hand id let him go

I'm the same.

His finishing is rotten, and even basic passes sometimes seem beyond him. But he does have pace, bring the ball foward and can break up opposition's defence.

A lot of the players we are selling / letting go might not seem too bad at the time: Viduka - strong but injury prone and slow, Owen - not interested, Martins - Pacey but awful first touch and poor footballing brain, Jonas - runs and runs with no end result and so on. In that sense it may not feel so bad. Trouble is, who have we replaced each position with?

Jonas Gutierrez Could Sign For Barcelona In The Following Hours

The Argentine international could be on his way to the European champions...

Newcastle United midfielder Jonas Gutierrez could reinforce Barcelona in the next few hours, if negotiations between both clubs prosper.

Gutierrez, 26, has been looking for a move away from Newcastle United, in order to improve his chances of participating in the 2010 World Cup with Argentina. The Argentine admitted that he would be overjoyed to sign for Barca.

"The truth is they are a great team. They already demonstrated this last season by winning everything. For one, to be part of a great team is always a dream, to play with great players. But, right now it is something I try not to think about. I'm only thinking of Newcastle. But obviously, to play there is a dream for any player," said Gutierrez.

"They are a club who are doing things very well, they have great players and any player would like to play for this team," he insisted.

Gutierrez, who is a starter with the Argentine national team, believes he is a versatile player who can adapt to any kind of circumstances, and whether he remains at Newcastle or moves to the Catalans isn't of great concern to him.

"One tries to accommodate himself to what he needs, or to the coach, or to the team, or at the team where one plays. If I am asked to play as a side-back, one tries to do the best possible, always trying to progress. They are two positions that aren't too different to one another," affirmed the player.

In recent weeks Diego Maradona stated that playing at Newcastle United won't affect Gutierrez's position in the national team, if of course, he continues to play at a high level

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1706/barcelona...n-the-following

I know it's only goal.com, but I think this would be a great signing for us. We need to strengthen our midfield with some quality squad players, and Jonas would fit that perfectly. Add to the fact that he plays with Messi and Milito in the Argentine national team and is great on the ball would definitely give us some options. And from what I've seen, most of you guys wouldn't be too upset if he leaves anyway. Hope this news is true!

Bit like when Real signed Faubert from West Ham last season. In truth, I suppose he wouldn't be too bad surrounded by the quality at Barca and only used as a backup. Can't be relied upon but would probably do better back in Spain.

Well thats pretty surprising to be honest. I would like to keep him but seeing as we need to sell 3 before Moat gets the loan, it would make sense to sell him. But we need to get rid of his compatriot as well, Colo the Clown.

Load of shite.

The article states that he wants to leave Newcastle so he can play for Argentina, but then says Maradona's ok with him staying here as long as he plays well.

It also says he has been looking for a move away from us while also saying "whether he remains at Newcastle or moves to the Catalans isn't of great concern to him."

The only quotes are him saying he'd leap at the chance to play for Barca - obvious - and that he's ok with playing as a wing-back.

And all of that comes before the goal.com link :D

i think he will do fine as a squad player. we need someone to replace hleb, and i'm sure jonas will be infinitely better at barca than hleb was. jonas has skill on the ball, and at barca, he'll always have players moving around him so it'll be easier for him to pick passes. also, he'll have much more time on the ball than he did in england, and i think that'll help as well. because right now, besides xavi and iniesta, barcelona don't have any other creative midfielders. i think jonas would add a lot of flexibility to our midfield because if we are playing a team that is parking the bus, these are the types of players you need to crack them open, and we are one creative player short for sure.

now if we look at it from your perspective though, i would be devastated if i was a newcastle fan. he's the ONLY creative player you have. i'd be surprised if you let him go without a fight.

now if we look at it from your perspective though, i would be devastated if i was a newcastle fan. he's the ONLY creative player you have. i'd be surprised if you let him go without a fight.

Are you offering us more than a tenner?

Load of shite.

The article states that he wants to leave Newcastle so he can play for Argentina, but then says Maradona's ok with him staying here as long as he plays well.

It also says he has been looking for a move away from us while also saying "whether he remains at Newcastle or moves to the Catalans isn't of great concern to him."

The only quotes are him saying he'd leap at the chance to play for Barca - obvious - and that he's ok with playing as a wing-back.

And all of that comes before the goal.com link :D

And he's shite.

Fuck it, I'm coming to the conclussion that we need to sell as many first team players as possible and start again from scratch. We won't go bouncing back up to the prem this season but given a couple of seasons to build with the right manager we might be better off all round...

... maybe.