This current squad is far too good NOT to go up.....

accadacca

It's not really that surprising that the OP is so optimistic. We've played three of what would have been considered favourites for promotion and only considered one goal. Boro and Cardiff look like the only other strong teams in this league and Boro when they lose Tuncay and if they lose Wheater and Huth will look a hell of a lot weaker.

Sheffield look ok iyam. Also it's as likely Boro' lose those players as it is we lose Jonas, Taylor and Enrique

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think we will get promotion this year or if we do it will take serious investment to actually stay in the top flight.

Yup. Moat might be able to afford the current wages, plus a couple new faces, but to stay in the Premiership we'd need a top quality striker and a lot more pace in the side and those don't come cheap.

We would need to operate on a whole new idea, e.g if we haven't got money to piss away we have to find another way of doing things.

Perhaps reasonable squad wages with a performance bonus?

It's not really that surprising that the OP is so optimistic. We've played three of what would have been considered favourites for promotion and only considered one goal. Boro and Cardiff look like the only other strong teams in this league and Boro when they lose Tuncay and if they lose Wheater and Huth will look a hell of a lot weaker.

Sheffield look ok iyam. Also it's as likely Boro' lose those players as it is we lose Jonas, Taylor and Enrique

United? They're absolutely wank this season. The current NUFC team would have no trouble sticking 3 past them imo.

Just thinking back, this squad (and first XI) is nowhere near the side we had under KK when we last came up from the second tier. Is the division that much worse than it was then? Seems unlikely somehow.

United? They're absolutely wank this season. The current NUFC team would have no trouble sticking 3 past them imo.

I'm sorry mate, I just can't get my head round a Mag calling the Manc reds as simply 'United' in place of your own United. Unbelievable and that's a filthy habit you should get out of right now.

I'm sorry mate, I just can't get my head round a Mag calling the Manc reds as simply 'United' in place of your own United. Unbelievable and that's a filthy habit you should get out of right now.

:icon_lol: How man! Hey man! Have another read of that man :icon_lol:

Well they're sitting two points off the guys at the top. They've looked good enough in the higlight reels and while, yeah, I reckon we'll be stronger than them if we keep the right players. Sheffield look like they've a couple of decent players that will do well this season.

Oops! :nufc:

(Still needed to put 'Sheffield in front of it, though). :D

Boro’s youth team policy is years ahead of ours, they’ve been breaking into their first team for a couple of years now and we’re relying on a couple of 17 year olds signed by Wise. Our squad is too small, we’ve got to be prepared for injuries and suspensions, and we aren’t.

At the moment I can only see Boro winning automatic promotion. As we don’t yet know what’s going on at SJP, it’s anyone’s guess for us going for the other promotion places at the mo’.

That was the point I was trying to make.

I agree about Sheffield too, they always seem to have a pretty strong team that are always there or there abouts.

Oops! :D

(Still needed to put 'Sheffield in front of it, though). :nufc:

Actually, I was going to say "as in United?" but couldn't be arsed so just put 'United?' :nufc:

I watched them play Reading, Fish and believe me, the scoreline really flattered them (and is also a damning indicator of how shit Reading really are this season). They'll hover around the playoffs as they usually do, but they're such an ordinary team that they'll only make up the numbers this season.

We've already played the strongest team in the league in WBA. Other than Boro, there really shouldn't be many sides that could challenge our first team. The thing is, it's a very hard league to play in; there are several teams who are hard to break down and are very physical. I'm a little worried that our better performers so far will struggle against the likes of Plymouth away when they're being kicked to bits for 90 mins.

Even if it's just two or three loanees, we desperately need some bodies in the squad, otherwise we'll just languish mid-table come the end of the season.

Thing is, teams like Sheffield United may not have the same level of talent/skill but they do have experience of what it takes to do well in this division.

Apart from the 'boing boing' teams (eg west brom) not too many prem teams go down then straight back up again so I wouldnt be belittling a team like Sheff Utd. It will only come back to bite us.

Besides, I had a cheeky bet on them getting promoted this season, so i'll be more than happy if they join us in the prem next season :icon_lol:

As a neutral friend of mine observed; 'you have the best starting XI in the division. Once you get people injured and suspended though, you've got nothing.'

why does everyone assume we will be the only ones to get injuries ??

every team will get the odd injury - at present, its Carroll and Barton, and next week it could be them back with Butt and Colo injured. it will be the same for Boro, cardiff, Sheff Utd.

Haway man, lift the gloom and believe.

As a neutral friend of mine observed; 'you have the best starting XI in the division. Once you get people injured and suspended though, you've got nothing.'

every team will get the odd injury - at present, its Carroll and Barton, and next week it could be them back with Butt and Colo injured. it will be the same for Boro, cardiff, Sheff Utd.

Most of the other teams in the division have strength in squad depth you spacca.

(8000th post :icon_lol:)

Most of the other teams in the division have strength in squad depth you spacca.

(8000th post :icon_lol:)

we have 49 players - and something like 33 full time pros - admittedly short on first team experience BUT other clubs have around 20 full timers

(8000th post :cry:)

we have 49 players - and something like 33 full time pros - admittedly short on first team experience BUT other clubs have around 20 full timers

isn't "short on first team experience" a rather big understatement? nufc.com have put it in perspective, not that I can be bothered to link it

(8000th post :cry:)

isn't "short on first team experience" a rather big understatement? nufc.com have put it in perspective, not that I can be bothered to link it

That's alright, it's been pointed out so many times to Rob I can only assume he can't be bothered to read.

In short (and fucking read it this time Rob!!!)

Before last night we had 18 players who had played for the first team - of which only 14 had played more than 5 games!

Harper

Simpson - S. Taylor - Colo - Enrique

R.Taylor - Nolan - Smith - Guttieerez

Ameobi - Carroll

Cover for back four with Geremi/R.Taylor

Cover for midfield with Butt/Barton/Geremi/Guthrie

Cover for attack with Xisco and Ranger

Thats a pretty strong team, and their definitely is cover for the odd injury.

If more players aren't sold, that team should do pretty well, and it would be surprising not to be in the top 3 at the end of the season.