Transfer flurry on the cards for Toon

Happy Face

Transfer flurry on the cards for Toon: Hughton

Aug 27 2009 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

NEWCASTLE UNITED have dismissed talk that Carling Cup match- winner Kevin Nolan is returning to the Reebok Stadium.

However, caretaker boss Chris Hughton has revealed he does expect to be in for a “hectic day” next Tuesday with the transfer window set to shut at 5pm.

Hughton wants to bolster his squad with a couple of loan signings before the deadline and is expected to bring in free agent Peter Lovenkrands.

However, the prospect of Gareth Bale coming to Tyneside from Tottenham Hotspur on loan would be largely dependent on the percentage of wages United would have to cough up for a player reportedly picking up around £45,000 per week.

Nolan woke up to national headlines today linking him with a return to Bolton Wanderers on a loan deal just eight months after signing for the Magpies for £4m – but a return to the Trotters looks extremely unlikely despite under-fire boss Gary Megson’s desire to lure back the battling midfielder to the club in which he made his name.

Nolan’s agent Mark Curtis said today: “Kevin’s happy at Newcastle and wants to help them get back into the Premier League.”

Hughton also wants to retain his in-form midfielder, with the Scouser skippering the Magpies to victory last night.

He told the Chronicle: “I would be very, very hopeful of that.

“Come Tuesday at 5pm we are looking to have a squad that is able to compete.

“I suppose you look at the squad today and you think if you get a couple of injuries it will test the squad even more so.

“But everybody is braced for a hectic day on Tuesday – some more than others.

“It will also settle the players down as well.

“Some will have had their names bandied around or there is speculation whether they are staying or going, but come 5pm on Tuesday, we’ll know whatever group of lads are in there are the ones who are fighting to get out of this division.”

Hughton is also fighting to keep Steven Taylor and Fabricio Coloccini, with interest from Everton and Espanyol respectively, although the Barcelona-based La Liga side have now turned to another Argentine defender in Boca Juniors’ Juan Forlin.

Both players were rested last night, with many fans fearing that the decision to not field Taylor was to ensure he wasn’t cup-tied for League Cup games in order to be available to play for the Toffees in later rounds should they turn to the ex-England Under-21 defender as a replacement for Joleon Lescott.

Hughton said: “I can tell you 100% there is nothing to read into that.”

Yet there was news from Spain today that Racing Santander are keen on taking Xisco on loan, with the striker also left out last night.

:cry:

MA has made about 45m in player sales, so technically he might dip into his fat pocket for one or two. The real frustration is that if we had prepared and arranged a good campaign we had a very good chance of getting straight back. :cry:

MA has made about 45m in player sales, so technically he might dip into his fat pocket for one or two. The real frustration is that if we had prepared and arranged a good campaign we had a very good chance of getting straight back. :cry:

Didn't we agree it was about a £14m profit he'd made in the transfer market since he arrived?

MA has made about 45m in player sales, so technically he might dip into his fat pocket for one or two. The real frustration is that if we had prepared and arranged a good campaign we had a very good chance of getting straight back. :(

Didn't we agree it was about a £14m profit he'd made in the transfer market since he arrived?

Yup.

I was talking overall incoming. :cry:

.Com seem to think Carroll might have been on his way before the deadline were it not for his being injured. Carroll out for a fee and Lovenkrands in on a free sounds all too believable thinking about it.

.Com seem to think Carroll might have been on his way before the deadline were it not for his being injured. Carroll out for a fee and Lovenkrands in on a free sounds all too believable thinking about it.

It does seem strange that we haven't picked up Lovenkrands yet, would make sense if we were waiting to get a body out before bringing anyone in.

You wouldn't be at all surprised if they could get any sort of fee for him. And it would be a stupid sale, he's not on big wages, won't bring in a big transfer fee and he does a very useful job in this team. Because he plays as the target man, battling for the ball and winning the headers its allowed Shola to just be the striker, and not be lumbered with a role he can't fill that well.

So whilst i was dead against Hughton playing the 2 of them together at first, fair play to him, he was right and its worked very nicely. Mind Shola seems possessed at the moment, when he came on 2nd half he truned the game around with his impact, involved in the equaliser, won and took the pen then set up Nolan on a plate!

tbf .com seem to be as much in the dark and guessing as much as the rest of us and if one player farts in the wrong manner, they reckon he's evidently on his way.

They were wrong about Taylor playing his last game for us, I'm not convinced they'll be right on this one either.

I've become very cynical about transfers, I only see them going one way these days. I think this is more cock and bull to raise fans' hopes, most likely planted by the club. As Parky says, with a bit of investment it could all be so different, and I suspect everything will be left to the last minute as usual to our maximum detriment. The incompetence and lack of planning at the club makes me sick.

I can't see us signing many (maybe one or two) hopefully bring in Lovenkrands ( i thought he did well for us last season tbf and could be a threat in the Championship ) in reality we will prob have a team on loans by tuesday.

I've become very cynical about transfers, I only see them going one way these days. I think this is more cock and bull to raise fans' hopes, most likely planted by the club. As Parky says, with a bit of investment it could all be so different, and I suspect everything will be left to the last minute as usual to our maximum detriment. The incompetence and lack of planning at the club makes me sick.

Ashley 2 hrs before deadline: "Get Wisey on the blower Daz" :cry:

You wouldn't be at all surprised if they could get any sort of fee for him. And it would be a stupid sale, he's not on big wages, won't bring in a big transfer fee and he does a very useful job in this team. Because he plays as the target man, battling for the ball and winning the headers its allowed Shola to just be the striker, and not be lumbered with a role he can't fill that well.

So whilst i was dead against Hughton playing the 2 of them together at first, fair play to him, he was right and its worked very nicely. Mind Shola seems possessed at the moment, when he came on 2nd half he truned the game around with his impact, involved in the equaliser, won and took the pen then set up Nolan on a plate!

That's a pretty fair assesment of their pairing so far, and in this division they might not do too bad at it, which I certainly was not expecting.

tbf .com seem to be as much in the dark and guessing as much as the rest of us and if one player farts in the wrong manner, they reckon he's evidently on his way.

They were wrong about Taylor playing his last game for us, I'm not convinced they'll be right on this one either.

I agree Craig, I was just saying it wouldn't have surprised me. That said, saying it was going to happen then fell through because of injury is a bit less convincing of being in the know than predicting a transfer before it happens.

Hughton Hopeful Of Deadline-Day Signings

By Paul Tully

CHRIS Hughton has his sights set on "one or two" beat-the-deadline signings - and does not foresee any more of his players leaving.

The Newcastle boss watched his team beat Leicester City 1-0 at St. James' Park to go two points clear at the top of the Coca-Cola Championship then revealed: "I'm hopeful that we will bring one or two in tomorrow.

"And I'm even more confident that nobody in this present squad will be leaving."

Danish international striker Peter Lovenkrands, a free agent and scorer of three goals in 12 games for United at the end of last season, could be brought back in, as Hughton admitted: "Peter is one that we have been very much interested in."

United's thin squad - only teenager Nile Ranger played as a recognised striker against Nigel Pearson's Leicester - is a cause for concern and Hughton added: "It's a stretched squad - but most of the season so far we've been able to cope with it.

"We certainly have good enough players, and it's only right that the young lads are given an opportunity because they've deserved that.

"But we need, by five o'clock tomorrow, a squad that is good enough to complete the whole season."

Hughton Hopeful Of Deadline-Day Signings

By Paul Tully

CHRIS Hughton has his sights set on "one or two" beat-the-deadline signings - and does not foresee any more of his players leaving.

The Newcastle boss watched his team beat Leicester City 1-0 at St. James' Park to go two points clear at the top of the Coca-Cola Championship then revealed: "I'm hopeful that we will bring one or two in tomorrow.

"And I'm even more confident that nobody in this present squad will be leaving."

Danish international striker Peter Lovenkrands, a free agent and scorer of three goals in 12 games for United at the end of last season, could be brought back in, as Hughton admitted: "Peter is one that we have been very much interested in."

United's thin squad - only teenager Nile Ranger played as a recognised striker against Nigel Pearson's Leicester - is a cause for concern and Hughton added: "It's a stretched squad - but most of the season so far we've been able to cope with it.

"We certainly have good enough players, and it's only right that the young lads are given an opportunity because they've deserved that.

"But we need, by five o'clock tomorrow, a squad that is good enough to complete the whole season."

Wishful thinking there Chrissy boy...