Evolution suffers Kansas setback

Guest alex

"My objection to supernatural beliefs is precisely that they fail miserably to do justice to the sublime grandeur of the real world. They represent a narrowing-down of reality, an impoverishment of what the real world has to offer".

54428[/snapback]

They also leave Joe Average trying to deal with the distinct possibility that death is final.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just read an interesting article this morning:

Evolution is fact

The morons can't grasp the time periods involved - I find it hard having read a few books on the subject. The common ancestor we share with Chimpanzees lived 6 million years ago - a scary concept which pales into insignificance compared with the 3.5 billion years of life itself.

I recently finished "The Ancestors Tale" by Dawkins and I'd recommend it. In the final paragraph he states his view which I share which is as follows:

"My objection to supernatural beliefs is precisely that they fail miserably to do justice to the sublime grandeur of the real world. They represent a narrowing-down of reality, an impoverishment of what the real world has to offer".

The idiots in Kansas fear knowledge - knowledge is the enemy of faith.

54428[/snapback]

I think I've read all Dawkin's books except that one, and I completely agree with those sentiments.

It sickens me how American soceity is "devolving" under the neocons. To be fair, it sickens a lot of Americans too. They are becoming a very divided country.

Microevolution is accepted fact.

Macroevolution is most assuredly not.

Oh, and just to be fair and balanced™, gravity is a theory as well, so I refuse to believe in it also.

As I've said before its frustrating trying to argue with irrationality. If you demanded of them the same "harsh" scientific view of their "theories" the response of "It was God" hardly stands up.

My Mam is an intelligent woman and a staunch catholic. She completely accepts the evolutionary history of the world and has no objection to the "universe is 14billion years old" line. Her faith is that her God created the big bang. I don't agree but she could teach those ignorant bastards a thing or two.

As I've said before its frustrating trying to argue with irrationality. If you demanded of them the same "harsh" scientific view of their "theories" the response of "It was God" hardly stands up.

My Mam is an intelligent woman and a staunch catholic. She completely accepts the evolutionary history of the world and has no objection to the "universe is 14billion years old" line. Her faith is that her God created the big bang. I don't agree but she could teach those ignorant bastards a thing or two.

54441[/snapback]

The idea that a sentient being created the big bang is probably a lot easier to grasp than the singularity, which is for me, mind-blowing!

But them creationists is probably right, the world is, what is it, 10,000 years old?

Oh, and just to be fair and balanced™, gravity is a theory as well, so I refuse to believe in it also.

54434[/snapback]

Zathras, are you saying anything that is not demonstrable under controlled conditions cannot be regarded as a fact?

54434[/snapback]

You're studying philosophy aren't you?

54441[/snapback]

The idea that a sentient being created the big bang is probably a lot easier to grasp than the singularity, which is for me, mind-blowing!

But them creationists is probably right, the world is, what is it, 10,000 years old?

54452[/snapback]

6000 and a bit I think. It's been calculated from the old testament very accurately indeed. Oh, and we are all results of incest, and black people are black because they fell in a barrel of red wine iirc.

54441[/snapback]

54452[/snapback]

6000 and a bit I think. It's been calculated from the old testament very accurately indeed. Oh, and we are all results of incest, and black people are black because they fell in a barrel of red wine iirc.

54458[/snapback]

I thought it was 12,000. Calculated by adding up the ages of everyone descended from Adam and Eve, if you please. :naughty:

54458[/snapback]

:naughty: I've never heard that one before, I wonder if Huxley was poking a bit of fun at that in 'Brave New World'.

54441[/snapback]

54452[/snapback]

54458[/snapback]

I thought it was 12,000. Calculated by adding up the ages of everyone descended from Adam and Eve, if you please. :naughty:

54460[/snapback]

6000. I'm willing to go to war over this, you heretical bastard!

54434[/snapback]

It would be in my circles, I find it hard to imagine a viable alternative. Do you have one?

54441[/snapback]

54452[/snapback]

54458[/snapback]

54460[/snapback]

54464[/snapback]

Trust me I'm an accountant. Numbers are my friend.

54464[/snapback]

No need to go to war over it, shame GW isn't more familiar with the Internets, might have saved some trouble.

According to the Bible the Earth is only about 6,500 years old.

Not the best Source

54464[/snapback]

No need to go to war over it, shame GW isn't more familiar with the Internets, might have saved some trouble.

According to the Bible the Earth is only about 6,500 years old.

Not the best Source

54474[/snapback]

Jesus wept at that website tbh. :naughty:

Not a very good one then. Look here. 6043 years.

54473[/snapback]

That's now 6046 according to that link. I'm fascinated by the 40 year comparison but they haven't laid it out simply enough for me, if only all information could be simple grids and pictures...

54434[/snapback]

Zathras, are you saying anything that is not demonstrable under controlled conditions cannot be regarded as a fact?

54454[/snapback]

I'm pointing out that part of the argument, not seriously forwarding it as my own opinion.

Although one could make a very strong case for that point of view.

You're studying philosophy aren't you?

54457[/snapback]

:naughty: Got my degree actually.

Edited by Zathras

Just read an interesting article this morning:

Evolution is fact

The morons can't grasp the time periods involved - I find it hard having read a few books on the subject. The common ancestor we share with Chimpanzees lived 6 million years ago - a scary concept which pales into insignificance compared with the 3.5 billion years of life itself.

I recently finished "The Ancestors Tale" by Dawkins and I'd recommend it. In the final paragraph he states his view which I share which is as follows:

The idiots in Kansas fear knowledge - knowledge is the enemy of faith.

54428[/snapback]

Dawkins makes a very good case, and I agree with him but I don't like his 100% certainty, 99.999% is fine but that irked me a little. I suppose maybe that's how you have to argue with this particular bunch.

The best story about this was a town in Texas where a Christian group sued to have a monument to Christian creation beleifs on public property (separation of church and state issues.) They won, on the basis that censuring those beliefs was tantamount to denying them their first amendment (free speech/freedom of religion) rights.

The funny part is that as soon as the courst came down on this issue, the town was innundated with requests (which according to the ruling they HAD to accomodate) for several different religions to have their creation beliefs displayed as well.