Fire Sale Over?

Christmas Tree

THE transfer window is not scheduled to close until 5pm on Tuesday, but Chris Hughton last night insisted that Newcastle’s firesale is over.

With Shola Ameobi and Jonas Gutierrez likely to be sidelined for up to a month because of injury, Hughton has assured fans that the club’s threadbare squad will not be reduced further in an attempt to trim the wage bill in the next three days.

The Magpies have pocketed around £24m from the sale of Obafemi Martins, Sebastien Bassong, Habib Beye and Damien Duff this summer, with five more players, including the highly-paid Michael Owen and Mark Viduka, having left at the end of last season when their contract expired.

However, the club’s wage bill is still estimated to be around £40m, a figure that would make the club the sixth biggest payers in the Premier League, let alone the Championship.

The final three days of the month represent Mike Ashley’s final opportunity to make further savings, and with Bolton keen to re-sign Kevin Nolan and a number of Spanish clubs having expressed an interest in Gutierrez and Fabricio Coloccini, the wantaway owner could have some decisions to make before the transfer window closes. Hughton will not be consulted either way, but having discussed Newcastle’s position with managing director Derek Llambias this week, the interim manager is confident there will be no more departures from St James’ Park.

“It would be wrong of me to say it would be an impossibility that anybody could leave, but I would be very confident – very confident – of keeping what we have at this club,”

said Hughton, who is likely to remain in his current position if, as is expected, Ashley takes the Magpies off the market at the start of next week.

“I’m very confident that will be the case. I certainly don’t think there have been the offers that have been put around, that’s for sure.”

Indeed, rather than bracing himself for further exits, Hughton is hoping to be welcoming some new arrivals before the transfer window closes next week.

The lack of depth in Newcastle’s squad was exposed during Wednesday’s Carling Cup victory over Huddersfield, and a lack of alternatives means the likes of Tamas Kadar, Kazenga Lua Lua and Nile Ranger will be involved again when Leicester visit Gallowgate on Monday night.

Hughton accepts the current squad is too small, but maintains that reinforcements are on the horizon, with the out-of-contract Peter Lovenkrands likely to renew acquaintances with the Magpies shortly.

“I think my concerns are being heard,” he said. “The club are aware of the position we’re in regarding injuries and the squad.

“We wouldn’t be doing our jobs if we hadn’t planned for players that are available, no matter the difficulties surrounding the club.

“We know we’ve lost players and, for me, the most important thing is probably that we don’t lose any more because we have the nucleus of a good squad here.

“But it’s also important that we add to what we’ve got.

If we do that, it’ll give us a fighting chance.”

The need for new signings was enhanced on Wednesday, when both Ameobi and Gutierrez were injured as Newcastle progressed to the third round of the Carling Cup.

Ameobi has injured his foot, and the Magpies’ medical staff were viewing scan results yesterday to ascertain whether the striker has suffered a stress fracture that will keep him out for a month.

Gutierrez could be sidelined for a similar period after injuring his hamstring, and the duo, who are definitely out of Monday’s game, will be badly missed after making major contributions to Newcastle’s successful start.

“This is exactly what we’ve been talking about,” said Hughton. “Most times when I’ve spoken (this summer), I’ve said we’ve been fortunate with injuries and never had more than two players injured at the same time.

“But we’re at the stage now where we’ve got more players on the treatment table and it’s very much going to stretch this squad.

“It’s not confirmed yet that they’re (Ameobi and Gutierrez) out for a month.

“Where we are at the moment is that they’re both injured and we’re waiting to assess them, as is normal.

“Sometimes you’re able to know immediately the severity of an injury, but on most occasions you have to get the first few days out of the way and then assess it when things have settled down.

“We know Shola has a problem with his foot, but won’t know the extent of it until later.

“Jonas has a hamstring injury and we’re assessing that as well.”

THE transfer window is not scheduled to close until 5pm on Tuesday, but Chris Hughton last night insisted that Newcastle’s firesale is over.

With Shola Ameobi and Jonas Gutierrez likely to be sidelined for up to a month because of injury, Hughton has assured fans that the club’s threadbare squad will not be reduced further in an attempt to trim the wage bill in the next three days.

The Magpies have pocketed around £24m from the sale of Obafemi Martins, Sebastien Bassong, Habib Beye and Damien Duff this summer, with five more players, including the highly-paid Michael Owen and Mark Viduka, having left at the end of last season when their contract expired.

However, the club’s wage bill is still estimated to be around £40m, a figure that would make the club the sixth biggest payers in the Premier League, let alone the Championship.

The final three days of the month represent Mike Ashley’s final opportunity to make further savings, and with Bolton keen to re-sign Kevin Nolan and a number of Spanish clubs having expressed an interest in Gutierrez and Fabricio Coloccini, the wantaway owner could have some decisions to make before the transfer window closes. Hughton will not be consulted either way, but having discussed Newcastle’s position with managing director Derek Llambias this week, the interim manager is confident there will be no more departures from St James’ Park.

“It would be wrong of me to say it would be an impossibility that anybody could leave, but I would be very confident – very confident – of keeping what we have at this club,”

said Hughton, who is likely to remain in his current position if, as is expected, Ashley takes the Magpies off the market at the start of next week.

“I’m very confident that will be the case. I certainly don’t think there have been the offers that have been put around, that’s for sure.”

Indeed, rather than bracing himself for further exits, Hughton is hoping to be welcoming some new arrivals before the transfer window closes next week.

The lack of depth in Newcastle’s squad was exposed during Wednesday’s Carling Cup victory over Huddersfield, and a lack of alternatives means the likes of Tamas Kadar, Kazenga Lua Lua and Nile Ranger will be involved again when Leicester visit Gallowgate on Monday night.

Hughton accepts the current squad is too small, but maintains that reinforcements are on the horizon, with the out-of-contract Peter Lovenkrands likely to renew acquaintances with the Magpies shortly.

“I think my concerns are being heard,” he said. “The club are aware of the position we’re in regarding injuries and the squad.

“We wouldn’t be doing our jobs if we hadn’t planned for players that are available, no matter the difficulties surrounding the club.

“We know we’ve lost players and, for me, the most important thing is probably that we don’t lose any more because we have the nucleus of a good squad here.

The need for new signings was enhanced on Wednesday, when both Ameobi and Gutierrez were injured as Newcastle progressed to the third round of the Carling Cup.

Ameobi has injured his foot, and the Magpies’ medical staff were viewing scan results yesterday to ascertain whether the striker has suffered a stress fracture that will keep him out for a month.

Gutierrez could be sidelined for a similar period after injuring his hamstring, and the duo, who are definitely out of Monday’s game, will be badly missed after making major contributions to Newcastle’s successful start.

“This is exactly what we’ve been talking about,” said Hughton. “Most times when I’ve spoken (this summer), I’ve said we’ve been fortunate with injuries and never had more than two players injured at the same time.

“But we’re at the stage now where we’ve got more players on the treatment table and it’s very much going to stretch this squad.

“Where we are at the moment is that they’re both injured and we’re waiting to assess them, as is normal.

“Sometimes you’re able to know immediately the severity of an injury, but on most occasions you have to get the first few days out of the way and then assess it when things have settled down.

“We know Shola has a problem with his foot, but won’t know the extent of it until later.

Hang on - so Hughton is confident no one else will be sold following a meeting with Llambias - on Chris !!:lol::blush:

Also, how the hell do they not know yet how long either player is going to be out for ffs ??? :lol:

that says more about what’s going to happen next than anything Chris Hughton has been told.

I'd like to know where Hughton's confidence comes from as it's certainly not shared by me! If Keegan lost players against his will when we were in the Premiership I don't see why Hughton wont now.

There was always going to be a lull at some point but I cant see us getting through deadline day unscathed.

Well it aint over yet folks,

Newcastle striker set for shock exit

Published 22:42 30/08/09 By Alan Nixon

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Newca...icle138829.html

Newcastle United's young striker Andy Carroll is primed for a shock exit before the window shuts - with Wolves and Bolton alerted to a possible sale.

The England under-21 prospect is fancied by Mick McCarthy and Wanderers chief Gary Megson has also made an inquiry for him.

Carroll is a local hero on Tyneside after coming through the ranks but he is keen to go to the top level as soon as possible - and he may look to leave if a Premier League side agrees a price before the deadline.

The powerful forward is also involved in a bitter tug-of-war between two agents who are trying to find him a new home and that has added another intriguing element to the chase.

The Toon are short of forwards right now and the loss of Carroll would be a blow to their promotion hopes, but if the money is right he may be gone.

:lol::icon_lol::blush:

Well it aint over yet folks,

Newcastle striker set for shock exit

Published 22:42 30/08/09 By Alan Nixon

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Newca...icle138829.html

Newcastle United's young striker Andy Carroll is primed for a shock exit before the window shuts - with Wolves and Bolton alerted to a possible sale.

The England under-21 prospect is fancied by Mick McCarthy and Wanderers chief Gary Megson has also made an inquiry for him.

Carroll is a local hero on Tyneside after coming through the ranks but he is keen to go to the top level as soon as possible - and he may look to leave if a Premier League side agrees a price before the deadline.

The powerful forward is also involved in a bitter tug-of-war between two agents who are trying to find him a new home and that has added another intriguing element to the chase.

The Toon are short of forwards right now and the loss of Carroll would be a blow to their promotion hopes, but if the money is right he may be gone.

:lol::icon_lol::blush:

It would be a shame to see him go (if theres any truth in the story, this being the mirror). nut what we need now is a nice experienced striker in on loan. Hopefully hughton has something up his sleeve apart from his hanky.

He meant he wouldn't be selling the club on the cheap though, not the players.

Thats clearly not what he wanted people to think he meant though

Nah he was talking def talking about the selling price for the club, turns out I got it confused with the first time he put the club up for sale though.