Newcastle United Vs Leicester

Jimbo

Newcastle v Leicester

Coca Cola Championship

Venue: St James' Park Date: Monday, 31 August 2009 Kick-off: 1945 BST

Coverage: Live on SKY, BBC Sport website, BBC Radio 5 live & BBC local radio

TEAM NEWS

Newcastle face a striker shortage, with Andy Carroll and Xisco ruled out with groin injuries and leading scorer Shola Ameobi doubtful with a foot problem.

Jonas Gutierrez is struggling with a hamstring strain, but Nicky Butt and Joey Barton are fit to return.

Leicester hope to be cleared to play left-back Ryan McGivern, who has joined on loan from Manchester City.

Striker Steve Howard should recover from a hamstring injury to face the club he supported as a boy.

MATCH PREVIEW

Both these teams have fared well since coming into the Championship from opposite directions.

Leicester boss Nigel Pearson, who spent 16 months at Newcastle and had two spells as their caretaker manager, has presided over a promising start to the campaign for last season's League One champions.

The Foxes are undefeated after their first four league matches, and in Matty Fryatt seem to have a striker capable of making an impact at this level.

They will certainly need some firepower against Newcastle, whose defence has been hugely impressive. The Magpies have not conceded in nearly five-and-a-half hours of league football and have only let in one goal so far this season.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• Newcastle are unbeaten in six league games against Leicester, and have won the last three at home. Their only home defeat in 14 was in April 2000.

• These clubs have not met at Championship level for 16 years.

• Leicester's last visit to St James' Park in this division (May 1993) ended in a 7-1 defeat for the Foxes.

Newcastle

• Newcastle have won their last four games in all competitions.

• They are vying for a fourth successive league win for the first time since April 2006.

• Geremi could make his 150th English league appearance, and Steven Taylor his 150th club career start.

Leicester

• Leicester suffered their first defeat of the season when beaten by Preston in the Carling Cup last Tuesday. In the league, they have won two and drawn two and are unbeaten in 10.

• Their only defeat in 13 league games came at Peterborough on 28 March.

• The Foxes are yet to score in the first half of a Championship game this season.

• Matty Fryatt has scored three goals this season and two more would take his total for Leicester to 50.

MOST RECENT MEETING

Newcastle 3-1 Leicester (7 February 2004)

Newcastle scorers: Ameobi 30, Taggart 37 og, Jenas 59

Leicester scorer: Ferdinand 90

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be interesting to see what lineup Hughton goes for with the striker injury crisis. Personally i'd probably stick Smith up front for a game with Ranger, a bit of experience up there to help the young lad, since we have plenty of central midfielders available to cover Smith.

Be interesting to see what lineup Hughton goes for with the striker injury crisis. Personally i'd probably stick Smith up front for a game with Ranger, a bit of experience up there to help the young lad, since we have plenty of central midfielders available to cover Smith.

Smith might actually score in this league

We are going to lose.

How do I know that?

Because we have a long history of losing when other results have gone in our favour. Cardiff lost, Boro lost, West Brom drew.

If we should win(and I don't think we will) we'll go into a 2 point lead. A draw would give us the lead on goal difference.

But if we lose the team we lose to will move ahead of us by one point and we'll sink down a place.

We don't have a good track record of taking advantage when other results go in our favour.

Gawd aa hope aa'm wrang like. :lol:

We'll just scrape something out of this in my opinion. The only goal our defence conceded this season in the LEAGUE was a scramble on the touch line goal, beleive it or not, defensively were alright for this league, its the offence im worried about for this game, I still reckon one of our midfielders or perhaps even Nile will score.

1-0 or 1-1 for me. We wont lose this one.

In any case this is the team lineup for me. 4-4-1-1

Harper

Simpson Saylor Collo Enrique

Raylor Guthrie Barton Lua Lua

Nolan/Smith Ranger

Edited by Amir

Its peterborough they are there for the tonking

Harper

Simpson.Saylor.Colo.Enrique

Raylor.Butt.Geremi.Barton

Nolan.Smith

or some such combination as I just can't see Haughton blooding the kids :blush:

Think you're a bit ahead of yourself there like..... :lol:

Harper

Nolan.Smith

or some such combination as I just can't see Haughton blooding the kids :lol:

FUCK! where did the last three weeks go? :blush:

Harper

Nolan.Smith

or some such combination as I just can't see Haughton blooding the kids :blush:

Think you're a bit ahead of yourself there like..... :lol:

lol I had been reading the carling cup thread and just rolled into this one :icon_lol:

Fancy a 0-0 draw tomorrow night with the striker crisis, and I think I'd be happy with that.

Our midfield may have chipped in with goals, but I agree, the lack of legitimate strikers will really neuter our attack, plus, no Jonas who was beginning to get the hang of this level...

0-0

Got a score draw written all over it, really - Howard is the kind of player who'll have Coloccini bricking himself, and with Dyer, N'Guessan, Gradel and Adams, there's plenty of pace wide whoever plays (except if Oakley plays on the right. Which is something I've always thought absurd). Tunchev might not be properly back yet, but we've still got enough at the back to be okay, even if its largely the gritty type of defending rather than the classy sort; though I could still see someone with pace like Ranger maybe causing some trouble.

So yeah, I'll go for 1-1. Would have been there if it hadn't been in the evening, ridiculous. Damn Sky. :lol:

Is this match gonna be televised? I want to know if its worth it to get up early and find a place on the internet to watch it.

yeah it's on Sky at 7.45 local time