A cup or promotion?

Andrew

Cup or promotion  

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Because of the size of your squad, and the blatant fact that it is weaker than what it was last year and even then it wasn't top notch. There is virtually no chance of you winning a cup this season, your squad simply hasn't got the depth or the quality to do so but hopefully this thread is a "what would you have have" than a "what should we aim for" type, but when looking at some of the posts on it, it makes me wonder.

A cup would always be a special moment for the club and the fans, but promotion should always be the first challenge as it will be more beneficial to the club in terms of finance and reputation long term, than a cup would be. You need to take things one step at a time and walk before you can run, relegation has been a massive setback and ultimately the only objective of this season is to get back in the premiership and reverse the damage which has been done, and even when that's complete the season after will also have a primary objective over winning a cup, restablishment and survival in the premiership.

If you did challenge for a cup this season, then because of the size of your squad and such the extra games would likely make your promotion challenge suffer, extra games would tire players, cause more injuries and suspensions. Had Keegan stayed on the previous season and it hadn't become a complete disaster due to Ashley's fuckups, then the conditions would have certainly been apropriate for a cup challenge. If you're in the premiership or not though, 99 times out of 100 the cups on offer will go to the "big four" teams.

:lol:

Promotion is much more important.

As much as I want us to win a cup (be it the FA Cup, League Cup or one of the European cups) it is far more important to achieve promotion. When we were promoted in 1992/93, that was far and away more important than any cup win.

That's not to say cup wins aren't important, and that I don't want us to do well in them this season, of course I do. I would love it, but if you're asking which I want more, promotion every time.

If football's finances weren't so skewed in 2009 (the riches of the premiership) would that affect your answer or others on here I wonder?

I understand what you say and given the finances logic is undoubtedly on your side. But football supporting is an emotion and for me the thrill of winning the FA cup say would last for a lifetime. The novelty of promotion would quickly wear off when (in all probability) we struggle to break into the top 8 and resume our routine humpings off the top teams.

Back when we were in the old 2nd division in the early 90s, before the Premier League and the massive financial investments, I still wanted promotion more than anything else.

No brainer, we dont stand a chance of a cup until we've been promoted and can restrengthen the squad.

In a nutshell.

Where's all this blind optimism suddenly come from anyway? ;)

For most toon fans you will have been following the fortunes of the toon for less than 16 years and we've had two Cup final appearances, European recognition, title bids etc.....

In the 8 or 9 years prior to that which is how far my match going support goes, the best we ever did in the Cup was 5th round, and even that felt like we'd actually achieved something. We as a club need to go up it's vital, but if I had a choice between winning the FA Cup and coming 21st, or getting knocked out in 3rd round and winning the league by 20 points, I'd choose Cup glory every time. Years and years people have been waiting. Me fatha is 63 and he's seen us win 4 trophies in all them years that in itself is a disgrace let alone what those of us under 40 have to fall back on, so we need silverware now, we'll go back up eventually, and if we did there's no guarantee that we'd win anything for another 40 years. Trophies are everything.