Those up in Level 7 tonight

manctoon

Right, I understand that everyone up there loves to stand and the thought of having that taken away from us fills most of us with dread.

BUT - why the hell were some of you singing "we'll never sit down, shove youe seats up your ass" to the stewards?

I might be missing something, but I didn't see the stewards actually ask anyone to sit down tonight.

If they did, I stand corrected.

If I'm right and they didn't - don't you see that, when 20 lads sing that song to one steward right in his face, it won't do us any favours?

You might have noticed from many away trips in the past that fans of most other clubs don't enjoy the same freedrom from the stewards as we do. Those fans would give their right arms to have a standing area.

We've got one and it makes the match a million times better.

Don't ruin it by provoking the stewards into showing you who is boss.

Cos let's face it, if they really wanted to make us sit, they could.

At the end of the day people want to actively contribute to the match.

This often involves standing up and the customer is always right. :lol:

Unfortunately, the real world is not as straightforward as that, Tom:

The law states that persistent standing is not allowed during the course of play.

If a local council discovers that persistent standing is taking place they can, in theory close whole stands or even stadia.

You cannot simply say 'the customer is always right, fans will do as they please'.

As I said before, if the stewards really wanted to, they could make us sit down.

But they let us off - and have done for years.

So provoking them by singing songs right in their face 25 on one isn't a good idea.

They tried the heavy handed approach last season.

They had bouncers all over level 7. Anyone with an ounce of sense could see it provoked more bother than it stopped. The (lack of) stewarding up there this season has been top notch.

I've moved to the very front row of L7 this year, and I think the atmosphere has been better overall, due to stewards just piping down. Even the OB in the lift were sociable.

To be fair to the singing section, I was one of the miserable fuckers who was cynical of it who now has to hold his hands up and say I was wrong. They are building a good atmosphere up there and are working as the catalyst for the rest of the ground. Fair play to them. Lose the Toon Ultras name though.

The singing section is definately better compared to what Level 7 used to be like (1 and a half blocks standing - over zealous stewarding etc) only 2 years ago, but now 5-ish blocks stand, and it's a great atmosphere usually most games.

It's not really a criticism but I wish we had more colour up there (and in the ground itself), like the flags - people were taking them to home/away games last season after they were dished out and they looked good but people have seemed to have forgot about them, or just not taking them this year, which is a shame.

But aye, I love L7 now.

They had bouncers all over level 7. Anyone with an ounce of sense could see it provoked more bother than it stopped. The (lack of) stewarding up there this season has been top notch.

That's what I don't understand though: It's been a million times more peaceful than it has been in the past...so why the sudden provocation?

I agree with 1892 that we need a bit more colour up there and perhaps a way of getting everytone to learn the words to Geordie Sail and This Badge....

That's what I don't understand though: It's been a million times more peaceful than it has been in the past...so why the sudden provocation?

I agree with 1892 that we need a bit more colour up there and perhaps a way of getting everytone to learn the words to Geordie Sail and This Badge....

I never saw it as provocation. A couple of Stewards were walking up the stairs, so we sang about standing. It's been the done thing for years. It used to be that the stewards were more synchronised and wandered up every 15 minutes, and even people that were sat down for most of the game would stand up especially for a chorus of "stand up if you love the toon"....just to make a point.

I was in Gallowgate last night.

It was rocking ;)

Can you hear the Leazes cos I couldn't hear the Gallowgate...I think there was one point where we finished "get out of our club" and I heard the gallowgate do another verse.

It was rocking :cry:

Can you hear the Leazes cos I couldn't hear the Gallowgate...I think there was one point where we finished "get out of our club" and I heard the gallowgate do another verse.

Was there anyone in the Leazes last night ??? Like a fuckin' morgue, man ;)

It was rocking :cry:

Was there anyone in the Leazes last night ??? Like a fuckin' morgue, man ;)

The bottom tier did seem to have some gaping holes. Aren't seats in the middle quite expensive?

Standing room only upstairs though.

The seats on the corners are more expensive at £25.

The ones at the front were £20 and I think the ones in the middle or the ''sports bar'' are just a tad more expensive.

I never saw it as provocation. A couple of Stewards were walking up the stairs, so we sang about standing. It's been the done thing for years. It used to be that the stewards were more synchronised and wandered up every 15 minutes, and even people that were sat down for most of the game would stand up especially for a chorus of "stand up if you love the toon"....just to make a point.

So 20 lads shouting in a steward's face at point black range isn't provocation?

Would you have been surprised if a whole army of stewards had come up and sat us all down?

Stewards have been doing regular 'patrols' up and down the steps for years without telling people to sit down and there was nothing last night to suggest they were going to start.

Would you have been surprised if a whole army of stewards had come up and sat us all down?

Stewards have been doing regular 'patrols' up and down the steps for years without telling people to sit down and there was nothing last night to suggest they were going to start.

A lot of us up in level seven remember the ridiculous stewarding from the second half of last season though, when they basically went on a power trip and seemed determined to ruin the match for anyone who wanted to stand and sing. When I saw the stewards start grouping together last night, I just automatically assumed they were going to start with all that again, and plenty of others probably did too...leading to the singing of the 'never sit down' song.

The thing is though last year was the club trying a heavy handed tactic to overcome what is a definite problem, if people persistently stand then the council do have the power to close the section down and nobody wants that.

No matter how much you shout, sing, jump about its still the law and they have the power to do it.

Everyone wants to hear a loud level 7 and frankly it has to take the credit for the good atmosphere so far this season but out and out provocation of the stewards cant be condoned and is just going to lead to a reappearance of last seasons bouncer led stewarding.

A lot of us up in level seven remember the ridiculous stewarding from the second half of last season though, when they basically went on a power trip and seemed determined to ruin the match for anyone who wanted to stand and sing. When I saw the stewards start grouping together last night, I just automatically assumed they were going to start with all that again, and plenty of others probably did too...leading to the singing of the 'never sit down' song.

Total mugs, they have been gettiing progressively worse over the last 4 years. There was one bald bouncer type in last year he actually punched one bloke, I fantasised about utterly battering him and picking on someone his own size, but probably pleased I didn't now. :icon_lol: I've moved to the front row of the balcony now, great seat, end of a row, happy days but everyone sits behind so I have to.

Who fuckin added this smiley ;)

:cry::icon_lol: you sick cunts.

This often involves standing up and the customer is always right. ;)

The law states that persistent standing is not allowed during the course of play.

If a local council discovers that persistent standing is taking place they can, in theory close whole stands or even stadia.

You cannot simply say 'the customer is always right, fans will do as they please'.

As I said before, if the stewards really wanted to, they could make us sit down.

This is true.

I was one of the NUSC committee members who turned up en-masse at a supporters panel meeting back in January, the first time NUSC and the club established direct dialogue.

Anyway, the stewarding in Level 7 was one of the main issues we put to the club. We had e-mails from members and non-members alike with frankly shocking accounts of the stewarding. We showed them to the club and they agreed. Hopefully that's improved - if it hasn't please contact NUSC.

But the club pointed out exactly what Tom mentioned about the council.

Newcastle City Council are/were concerned about persistent standing in level 7. The club told us that the council were concerned with people standing up constantly, someone could fall out of Level 7! Now this probably seems an EXTREMELY unlikely scenario, and that's the impression the club seemed to give as well, but their argument was the council thought this was a possibility. Therefore the club had/has to take preventative action or face the council shutting down all of Level 7 on safety grounds.

I'm not saying I, or NUSC agree with that, just that that is the reason the club gave us in January.

This often involves standing up and the customer is always right. :cry:

This is true.

I was one of the NUSC committee members who turned up en-masse at a supporters panel meeting back in January, the first time NUSC and the club established direct dialogue.

Anyway, the stewarding in Level 7 was one of the main issues we put to the club. We had e-mails from members and non-members alike with frankly shocking accounts of the stewarding. We showed them to the club and they agreed. Hopefully that's improved - if it hasn't please contact NUSC.

But the club pointed out exactly what Tom mentioned about the council.

Newcastle City Council are/were concerned about persistent standing in level 7. The club told us that the council were concerned with people standing up constantly, someone could fall out of Level 7! Now this probably seems an EXTREMELY unlikely scenario, and that's the impression the club seemed to give as well, but their argument was the council thought this was a possibility. Therefore the club had/has to take preventative action or face the council shutting down all of Level 7 on safety grounds.

I'm not saying I, or NUSC agree with that, just that that is the reason the club gave us in January.

;) How the fuck could anyone fall out of Level 7? For starters no one if you look round the balcony stands in the front row, and the majority of the people standing are behind the balcony. It's at least a 20 foot drop though over the top maybe 25 feet, but even the most mental celebration wouldnt push you over the top. Only someone that wanted to go over the top could.

The council should pipe down they've never been friends of NUFC, and in no small way hindered Newcastle United's growth through the 50's, 60's, 70's and onwards, they even fucked up our plans of new stadium in favour of a protest by lesbian soup kitchen workers. Fuck the council.

Edited by Stevie

;) How the fuck could anyone fall out of Level 7? For starters no one if you look round the balcony stands in the front row, and the majority of the people standing are behind the balcony. It's at least a 20 foot drop though over the top maybe 25 feet, but even the most mental celebration wouldnt push you over the top. Only someone that wanted to go over the top could.

That's pretty much what we thought, and I think even the club think like that. But you know...

I mean, the thing wouldn't have been allowed to be built, let alone open to the public if there was a danger that someone could fall out.

Whoever it was who came up with that theory needs their head testing, but that's the reason we were given.

The council should pipe down they've never been friends of NUFC, and in no small way hindered Newcastle United's growth through the 50's, 60's, 70's and onwards, they even fucked up our plans of new stadium in favour of a protest by lesbian soup kitchen workers. Fuck the council.

You're totally missing the point.

People who go to the games realise you can't fall out of Level 7.

Jobsworth who work for the council don't give two hoots.

The point is, the council has the power to close down stands/the stadium.

Stewards/police have the power to force us to sit down.

No amount of protest or aggressive posturing is going to change that (see the last 18 years of English football for examples).

So let's be thankful we've actually got a standing section - unlike 99% of other clubs, and not look a gift horse in the mouth.

You're totally missing the point.

People who go to the games realise you can't fall out of Level 7.

Jobsworth who work for the council don't give two hoots.

The point is, the council has the power to close down stands/the stadium.

Stewards/police have the power to force us to sit down.

No amount of protest or aggressive posturing is going to change that (see the last 18 years of English football for examples).

So let's be thankful we've actually got a standing section - unlike 99% of other clubs, and not look a gift horse in the mouth.

...er, that's the point. We won. We have a standing section with effectively zero interference from stewards.

It's good to gloat about that.

The council know which side their bread is buttered on. Shut level 7? 20,000 less people go to the game, 60,000 less pints sold, 10,000 less meals bought, 15,000 less bets placed. They know what's best for the local economy.

The council know which side their bread is buttered on. Shut level 7? 20,000 less people go to the game, 60,000 less pints sold, 10,000 less meals bought, 15,000 less bets placed. They know what's best for the local economy.

I think the fact that the main couple of people on the council are makems could change that view. Mind, Id be worried if I was in the boxes below, over 40% of the crowd in that level? each on average having drunk three pints? could be bother there like considering a good chunk of them are kids.