Time for a quiz thread

Craig

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

uruguay'30,italy '34,england'66,brazil'70,west germany'74,argentina'78,france'98

57982[/snapback]

:lol:

Q. The 1958 and 1962 World Cup campaigns are famous for the rising Brazilian star Pele (although Pele was injured for the finals after their first game), who was his not so famous striker partner who when they were both in the line up for Brazil they never lost a game?

uruguay'30,italy '34,england'66,brazil'70,west germany'74,argentina'78,france'98

57982[/snapback]

The 1970 World Cup was in Mexico.

58386[/snapback]

Alex you are right! There have only been 6 host nation cup winners, which shakermaker has listed, he just got a bit carried away.

How come no-one has answered the next one?

I know Omar would know the answer but is no-one else willing to have a go?

57982[/snapback]

:rolleyes:

Q. The 1958 and 1962 World Cup campaigns are famous for the rising Brazilian star Pele (although Pele was injured for the finals after their first game), who was his not so famous striker partner who when they were both in the line up for Brazil they never lost a game?

57986[/snapback]

Vava?

Voom!

;)

58735[/snapback]

58739[/snapback]

:blink:

nope

58768[/snapback]

Ahh, so it's the other strike partner, of whom I've no idea what his name is then.

Vava was his strike partner at around the same time though wasn't he?

58780[/snapback]

Don't forget this was a time when a 4-4-2 wasn't played, so maybe strike partner is the wrong term but he was definitely a forward/attacking player. The clue is in the stat about them never losing a game when they both played together.

57982[/snapback]

57986[/snapback]

Garrincha.... 2nd best player ever after Pele

garrincha1up.jpg
Edited by Jonny2J

57982[/snapback]

57986[/snapback]

garrincha1up.jpg

58788[/snapback]

Some would even argue the little bird (translation of garrincha) was better.

The stories about the guy are just unbelievable, things like he had no tactical knowledge (no mention of souness please) so managers when naming their team when they got to him said to him to just do his stuff or the story where he dribbled around three defenders then gets one on one with the keeper to dribble around him twice before putting the ball in the back of the net. Or that allegedly he fathered over 30 children throughout Brazil with his 12" penis. All that and the man couldn't even stand up straight and he ran like a crab!

57982[/snapback]

57986[/snapback]

garrincha1up.jpg

58788[/snapback]

Some would even argue the little bird (translation of garrincha) was better.

The stories about the guy are just unbelievable, things like he had no tactical knowledge (no mention of souness please) so managers when naming their team when they got to him said to him to just do his stuff or the story where he dribbled around three defenders then gets one on one with the keeper to dribble around him twice before putting the ball in the back of the net. Or that allegedly he fathered over 30 children throughout Brazil with his 12" penis. All that and the man couldn't even stand up straight and he ran like a crab!

58791[/snapback]

you ever watched the Garrincha and Pele documentary?

58797[/snapback]

No, I've got a good one on Pele that I give copies to the kid I coach football to but I've never knew there was one on both of them, any good?

There is an awesome brazilian movie on garrincha, all trippy and amazing naked women, in various moments with little bird, that gets shown here on sbs (our terrestial multi language station).

58797[/snapback]

No, I've got a good one on Pele that I give copies to the kid I coach football to but I've never knew there was one on both of them, any good?

There is an awesome brazilian movie on garrincha, all trippy and amazing naked women, in various moments with little bird, that gets shown here on sbs (our terrestial multi language station).

58799[/snapback]

aye it's quality, showing the rise of Pele and Garrincha, then how Pele went on to the next level and Garrincha became a drunk basically.... was that documetary Pele Eterno by anychance?

Who won FIFA World Player of the Year award in 1991?

Don't search the net. :rolleyes:

58795[/snapback]

A bit of a guess but was it George Weah?

58800[/snapback]

Only a couple of years out 95 for Weah.

I would never of guessed the answer!

58795[/snapback]

58800[/snapback]

58808[/snapback]

You were suprised it was the 1990 World Cup winning captain, Lothar Matthaus?

58795[/snapback]

58800[/snapback]

58808[/snapback]

58813[/snapback]

Yes I was. Italy 1990 was remembered for many things and although Germany won it, Roger Milla and a host of other individuals were far more memorable, don't you think?

Edited by sammynb

58795[/snapback]

58800[/snapback]

58808[/snapback]

58813[/snapback]

Yes I was. Italy 1990 was remembered for many things and although Germany won it, Roger Milla and a host of other individuals were far more memorable, don't you think?

58815[/snapback]

Well to be fair, Schillachi won the golden ball at that world cup (Matthaus was 2nd) and the voting was such:

1. Lothar MATTHÄUS (Germany) 128 pts

2. Jean-Pierre PAPIN (France) 113

3. Gary LINEKER (England) 40

4. Robert PROSINECKI (Yugoslavia & Croatia) 38

5. Marco VAN BASTEN (Netherlands) 23

6. Franco BARESI (Italy) 12

7. Iván ZAMORANO (Chile) 10

8. Andreas BREHME (Germany) 9

9. Gianluca VIALLI (Italy) 8

10. Enzo SCIFO (Belgium) 7

Oh, and he was good for Inter that year too, coming in 2nd in Serie A

Edited by Zathras

58795[/snapback]

58800[/snapback]

58808[/snapback]

58813[/snapback]

58815[/snapback]

Gazza was out of this world in Italia 90.

58795[/snapback]

58800[/snapback]

58808[/snapback]

58813[/snapback]

58815[/snapback]

Not at all...

Lothar Matthaus was absolutely awesome in that competition - a primary reason as to why West Germany won it IMO. He was as important to them as Lampard is to Chelsea these days.