Leazes Ender or Gallowgate End

Guest Stevie

Are you are a Leazes Ender or Gallowgate Ender at heart  

48 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Regardless where you sit, what end of the ground do you feel most at home with, which end do you consider to be the main toon end?

Before I went to the match, in fact when I was about 20 days old, they pulled down the spiritual home of the club the Leazes End, and most of its' inhabitants moved to the Gallowgate. All of my early toon days were spent in the Gallowgate, had some happy memories there, but it never felt like home.

The Leazes End to me has always felt like home, from that first game against Spurs in 1993, I've moved all over the Leazes for differing reasons, but that's where your old Gallowgate Enders went. The Gallowgate filled up with rich bond holders and JCL's from 1995 on wards, and for that reason it has always pissed me off thatthe toon seem intent on "bigging up" the Gallowgate, often kicking down there in the second half (hope the SW and LC games are the sign of things to come though), and commentators mention the Gallowgate, but rarely the Leazes. Now the Leazes Lower are all getting old together but Level 7 has given it new life, there are more fans at that end, I can never hear the GG, so for all those reasons I'll always be a Leazes Ender.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always thought the Leazes end was the posh end, full of people from Morpeth and Hexham.

That's how I view the Gallowgate posh bond holders from Rothbury and Rowlands Gill, with names on their seats.

Ive always been an East Stander to be honest. My dad bought my first season ticket when I was about 10 and stayed there.

Ive been in every other part of the ground but the best views are from the half line in my opinion.

I noticed the gallowgate was full on Monday whereas the Leazes was full of empty spaces.

I've always thought the Leazes end was the posh end, full of people from Morpeth and Hexham.

That's how I view the Gallowgate posh bond holders from Rothbury and Rowlands Gill, with names on their seats.

Very clever Stevie, well done.... :)

(close but no cigar though!)

I've sat in both, but had my season ticket in the Gallowgate, so, to me, that's home.

The matches I went to before I got my season ticket were dotted about the stadium and perhaps it was who I went with, or that I went alone and they were one offs, but I never felt that swayed by any of the stands. The first day I had my season ticket I knew I was "home".

Sat halfway up the Gallowgate end, just on the milburn side of half way along. Great view and close enough for the mania. I never liked the side stands, found them utterly devoid of atmosphere (except right next to the Leazes or Gallowgate). Didn't like Level7 of either stand, just felt too far from the action.

But I suppose what really makes it Home, are the people around you, the "Saturday mates" you make and the times that you shared. I saw tail end of Dalglish, all of Gullit and then the 1st 2 years of Robson's reign. Some brilliant games and some utterly utterly awful ones. I've obviouslt been back since, but I've never been back to "my" seat. Everytime I see it on TV or from the other side of the stadium I feel like I'm missing out on better atmosphere, better banter and better times by not being there.

When I started going as a kid with my Dad and Brother we'd usually go in the Leazes end - the biggest cheer I've ever heard at SJP was when we played Leeds on Boxing day 73 and there was a full house and the tannoy announced at about ten to three that the Leazes end was full.

When I started going with mates in 78 the Leazes had just come down - we used to go in the Gallowgate where I went until about 80 or 81 - then I spent another couple of years in the Leazes as standing next to the away fans was just about the only entertainment going. I watched Keegan's debut from the Leazes but by the end of that season we'd migrated to the old stand paddock.

In 83 we bought STs for the East stand (Leazes wing) where we remained until 91 when we moved to the new Milburn. We got kicked up to Level 7 when it was extended.

Spiritually I'd still say Leazes.

Ive always been an East Stander to be honest. My dad bought my first season ticket when I was about 10 and stayed there.

Ive been in every other part of the ground but the best views are from the half line in my opinion.

I noticed the gallowgate was full on Monday whereas the Leazes was full of empty spaces.

I've been sitting near the halfway mark, about two thirds up, for last season and this, when people started giving up. Brilliant view for the money but the trade off is the shit atmosphere, apart from on very rare occasions.

Before that I was Leazes L4, and before that Leazes L7, which I only stayed for a season because it really is too high to get a good view imo. I think the empty sections of the Leazes on Monday were mainly from the Sporting bar tbf. Leazes seems to make more noise than the Gallowgate I'd say.

Regardless where you sit, what end of the ground do you feel most at home with, which end do you consider to be the main toon end?

Before I went to the match, in fact when I was about 20 days old, they pulled down the spiritual home of the club the Leazes End, and most of its' inhabitants moved to the Gallowgate. All of my early toon days were spent in the Gallowgate, had some happy memories there, but it never felt like home.

The Leazes End to me has always felt like home, from that first game against Spurs in 1993, I've moved all over the Leazes for differing reasons, but that's where your old Gallowgate Enders went. The Gallowgate filled up with rich bond holders and JCL's from 1995 on wards, and for that reason it has always pissed me off thatthe toon seem intent on "bigging up" the Gallowgate, often kicking down there in the second half (hope the SW and LC games are the sign of things to come though), and commentators mention the Gallowgate, but rarely the Leazes. Now the Leazes Lower are all getting old together but Level 7 has given it new life, there are more fans at that end, I can never hear the GG, so for all those reasons I'll always be a Leazes Ender.

That's besause the pitch slopes down to the Gallowgate by about 1.5m, isn't it?

Leazes for me btw

When my old man used to take me in the 50's it was the Gallowgate, but when I started going with my mates it was the Leazes and when I was living away from home, whenever I came up for a match it was always beneath the 10 minute flag.

My fondest time was watching the toon in the late 60's with my mates in the Leazes end.

After all that waffle it has to be a Leazes Ender.

I'm sorry for being 10 in 1995. :)

Leazes End was the 'spiritual home' for those that went in the 70s to me. Ever since they took the roof off it in 78, the Gallowgate End has always been the 'home' end IMO :(

Stevie feeling at home sat below the foreigners? Well I never... :)

Leazes End was the 'spiritual home' for those that went in the 70s to me. Ever since they took the roof off it in 78, the Gallowgate End has always been the 'home' end IMO :(

Stevie feeling at home sat below the foreigners? Well I never... :)

eh?

It seems commonly believed that the Atmosphere at St James' has really suffered since the 7th levels were built, allt hat noise goes straight over the top of the gallowgate and off into the ether.

I'd bring the "singing section" back to pitch side, make St James' the deafening bowl it used to be.

Gallowgate as a youth but these days take the nicest I can afford. Quite fond of bar 1892. Not hardcore but hey ho.

What with this and your Corvette, there's nay recession bothering you is there CT? :)

Havent been in the Leazes end before, only tried Gallowgate and Milburn stand, to be fair Id rather the Gallowgate end just for the sake of chanting, Milburn stand is fucking quiet all the time.

It's the fucking leazes end. Anyone disagree comon have a go if you're hard enough.

it's in the leazes end where geordies never emd and the chelsea fans lie dying at our feet.

fuck this milburn stand, sir john hall shit and I'm sorry bobby robson stand ffs.

Leazes end, Gallowgate end, popular and I suppose there is one stand in need of a name. This should be a traditional name i.e Scotswood stand.

What do they call the Gallowgate these days?

It used to be the 'Exhibition' at one point and also the 'Newcastle Brown Ale' but fuck knows what it is now.

Just the Gallowgate now according to:

0,,10278~6067923,00.png