Ipswich Town 0-4 Newcastle United

The Fish

Could anybody enlighten me as to why the tickets are advertised at £31 each yet i got 2 adult tickets (via public sale) and only paid £46? Seems odd to me, perhaps Barry Moat is buttering me up to be the new manager when he takes over at the 'end of the week', watch this space......

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With 5 players injured (Shola, Jonas, Kadar, Barton and Simpson) and one suspended (Guthrie) this is probably the 1st game of the season we are going to see how stretched we are!

Likely line up?

---Harper---

--Raylor---Saylor---Colo---Enrique--

--Geremi--Butt---Smith--Lovenkrands--

-------Carroll----Ranger-------

Subs: Krul, Kishanishvili, Tavernier, Nolan, Lua-Lua, Harewood, Vuckic

Harewood would only of had one days training with the lads but could start i guess, i dont really want Geremi to start but i dont see Nolan going out right or moving Smith or Butt out there so he is really our only option unless young Tavernier starts at RB and Raylor moves to the right wing which i doubt.

Gonna be a tough run out but hopefully the boys will bounce back after a miserable outing midweek.

With 5 players injured (Shola, Jonas, Kadar, Barton and Simpson) and one suspended (Guthrie) this is probably the 1st game of the season we are going to see how stretched we are!

Likely line up?

---Harper---

--Raylor---Saylor---Colo---Enrique--

--Geremi--Butt---Smith--Lovenkrands--

-------Carroll----Ranger-------

Subs: Krul, Kishanishvili, Tavernier, Nolan, Lua-Lua, Harewood, Vuckic

Harewood would only of had one days training with the lads but could start i guess, i dont really want Geremi to start but i dont see Nolan going out right or moving Smith or Butt out there so he is really our only option unless young Tavernier starts at RB and Raylor moves to the right wing which i doubt.

Gonna be a tough run out but hopefully the boys will bounce back after a miserable outing midweek.

I reckon it'll be that team but Nolan in for Butt.

Robson clubs ready to pay tribute

Ipswich and Newcastle will pay tribute to their former manager Sir Bobby Robson when they meet on Saturday.

Robson died in July aged 76, and the players of both clubs will wear commemorative shirts in his honour.

The shirts will later be auctioned off for Robson's cancer charity, while 709 balloons will also be released for each game he managed Ipswich.

The North Stand at Portman Road will also be renamed the Sir Bobby Robson Stand by his wife and two sons.

A parade of former Ipswich players and coaching staff will also precede the match.

Saturday's further tributes to one of English football's most respected figures follow the memorial service held at Durham Cathedral on Monday.

"I'm sure it's going to be an enjoyable day for the supporters," said Ipswich boss Roy Keane ahead of the Championship fixture, which will be screened live on BBC One at 1730 BST.

"I think it's going to be a cracking game from our point of view - that's what we need to and that's what we need to stay focused on.

"We need to go out and get a victory and make it an even more enjoyable day for our supporters."

Robson took over as manager at Ipswich in 1969 and led the East Anglian club to victory in the 1978 FA Cup and 1981 Uefa Cup, while also finishing second on two occasions in old First Division before taking over as England boss in 1982.

Keane took charge at Portman Road during the summer but is still searching for his first win after eight games, with his side second bottom of the table.

"I'm clearly disappointed," said Keane. "We knew it was going to be tough but we certainly expected to have more points than what we have. We have to put that right over the next few weeks and months ahead.

"You have to believe. If the manager of your football club is not positive then what chance have you got?

"Realistically, the beauty of the Championship - and why it's so interesting for lots of teams - is that sixth place (the final play-off spot) is always within reach.

"Despite our disappointing start we are nine points behind the play-offs and that is a positive spin. But, of course, that gap will get wider the longer we go without winning.

"We need to win some football matches to get confidence and some momentum, which is massive in football."

Newcastle have made a strong start to their campaign as they look to get promotion back into the Premier League at the first attempt.

Magpies caretaker manager has bolstered his side with the loan signing of striker Marlon Harewood, who is expected to figure against Ipswich.

"They've got a very good squad and as you would expect with any team that comes down from the Premier League, particularly when they have a good start, they always have a great chance," added Keane.

"Despite one or two injuries that they have, they've got vast experience and have signed the boy Harewood from Aston Villa.

"They are a big strong team and what they have and what you need, particularly in the Championship, is that experience in vital areas of the park. It is a good test for some of our younger players."

From the Echo....

Matchfile: Ipswich Town v Newcastle United

2:36pm Friday 25th September 2009

By Paul Fraser »

IPSWICH

Wright

Rosenior Bruce Smith Delaney

Edwards Leadbitter Quinn Martin

Walters

Counago

Carroll

Nolan

Lovenkrands Smith Butt Geremi

Enrique Coloccini S Taylor R Taylor

Harper

NEWCASTLE

Newcastle subs (from): Krul, Lua-Lua, Khizanishvili, Guthrie, Harewood, Ranger, Donaldson, Vuckic.

Ipswich subs (from): Lee-Barrett, Stead, Trotter, Balkestein, Priskin, Peters, Colback.

NEWCASTLE: Marlon Harewood goes straight into the squad following his loan move from Aston Villa. The striker is likely to be on the bench, meaning that Andy Carroll will start up front on his own. Joey Barton's foot injury has worsened and he will be missing, while Shola Ameobi is still out with a stress fracture of the foot.

Suspensions: None

Injuries: Ameobi (foot), Barton (foot), Simpson (ankle), Gutierrez (hamstring), Kadar (knee).

Leading league scorer: Ameobi 4

Last five League games: WLWWW

Next game: QPR (h), 30/9

IPSWICH: Roy Keane has reported a clean bill of health and is likely to name the same team that drew 3-3 at Doncaster, where Ipswich were unfortunate not to win. That means Sunderland fan Grant Leadbitter and his former Black Cats team-mate will start against their old rivals.

Suspensions: None

Injuries: None

Leading league scorer: Walters 3

Last five League games: DDLDL

Key player: Jon Walters - has been Keane's best player this season.

Last season: N/A

Head to head: Newcastle 15, Ipswich 16, Draws 14

Referee: Mike Jones (Chester) G5 Y14 R0 Av:2.96

Last Newcastle game: v Man City (a) 28/1/09, 2-1, Y3 R0

Odds: H 9/5; A6/5; D2/1

It's a fact: Ipswich have only won one of their last nine matches against the Magpies since 1992.

Comment by Paul Fraser: Ipswich are desperate for a first victory of the season, which could prevent Newcastle from winning at Portman Road.

Prediction: 1-1

EDIT: Lazy Journo :lol:

Edited by Geordie Lad...

I have a bad feeling about this game. I hope I'm wrong, as I would hate to see a smug look on the dog wanker's face.

:)

Same here, I reckon they'll do alright despite the bad start and it's only a matter of time before they get the first win. I'd take a draw.

Harper

Saylor Collo Khiz Enrique

Geremi Smith Nolan - Guthrie and Barton are out.

Lovenkrands Carroll Ranger

Subs: Harewood, Lua Lua, Krul, Raylor, Butt, Some other fella and/or another.

4-3-3 Might as well try it out, although the CCC is basically all 4-4-2 every single CCC team plays 4-4-2, Get Harewood and Lua Lua late on as impact subs.

I think they'll come out flying to begin with, but after that pressure I think It'd be abit like the Cardiff game, and we'll be pretty comfortable in the end, but aslong as we get the points, then I'll be a happy lad. :)

0-1. Carroll.

fuck me. smith AND butt in centre mid. why doesn't smith ever play up front anmore? surely no need for two defensive midfielders even away from home. why not swap smith and nolan around?

Its a good point. Something i thought about last week.

I really hope we dont start with one up front but Hughton and is cautious ways suggest we will.

Smith isn't a striker anymore, in fact he was never much of one anyway, never really prolific

hes probably been our best player so far this season in the role he has taken on I think moving him would be a particularly stupid move

Smith isn't a striker anymore, in fact he was never much of one anyway, never really prolific

hes probably been our best player so far this season in the role he has taken on I think moving him would be a particularly stupid move

as stupid as playing butt and smith together in the centre of the park?