Ipswich Town 0-4 Newcastle United

The Fish

For me it's one of those days where - even on telly you can realise just how good football can make you feel.

Even if it's the championship, Ipswich town away feels like it's running through my veins at a million miles per hour and I wasn't even there.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What an absolutely incredible day out.

Cathartic and just generally fucking great singing 'get out of our club'. Might raise his spite-o-meter but fuck it.

Half time was very moving and I felt privileged to be there.

Will be highly amusing if he does get sacked in the morning!

:)

A fantastic day, great to pay tribute to Sir Bobby and give Keano a verbal bashing, I was very disappointed with the Ipswich support, very muted, I can expect a sombre mood to a point but their team had very little vocal support at all.

Keane was shocking, not once did I see him animated on the touchline enthusing his team, his managerial style seems to be limited to sitting, arms folded, chewing gum, and glaring at people, shocking really.

:)

Not that it matters because he's a waste of skin but why wasn't Barton in the squad?

Picked up an injury this week, short term one but on his efforts so far he won't be missed, and if he's out for the midweek game hopefully it will give Guthrie a chance to play and show once more why he should be ahead of Barton in the team.

Watched this game yesterday.

Fucking hell, Butt should've retired seasons ago, he's absolutely dire. Just doesn't contribute to the team in any way other than losing possession and fouling the opposition. I'll bet he's on an absolute fortune as well.

The performance was good, completely controlled the game, and the scoreline could have been even more. I thought Ranger looks like a really good prospect, he always looked really up for it.

A great 3 points, and some well-taken goals. We're actually looking dangerous from set pieces again, it's incredibly refreshing to see.

so this was the 1st game I was able to watch in full from the Championship and I really liked that from start to finish.

Great atmosphere, toon fans enjoying themselves, 3 points, a couple of (nice) goals and some good performances.

I thought Carroll's ball to Nolan for his 2nd was lovely. Played it exactly where he needed to.

For his 3rd I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt to Ranger becase I think he was heading it down for Nolan. Looking at the replay, I dont think he could have scored it from where he was and the height it was. His best option was exactly what he did.

That (younger) commentator is also a prick. Got on my tits for most of the match tbh.

One of the best days of football I've enjoyed. Really emotional, really fulfilling, really satisfying. The team sheet didn't excite me, I thought the midfield looked static and without a spark of creativity between the four of them. Butt was wide left (as wide as you'd expect anyway) and Raylor was wide-ish right. Nolan up front and Smith in fornt of the back, it was a pretty lop-sided diamond. Thing is, for 30 minutes our front two were winning things in the air, but didn't get much support from the midfield. They were poor all over the pitch, our dominance in midfield was tangible and our defence rarely looked troubled. (I counted one Harper save and that was a trickler, and a few crosses which he comfortably dealt with.) Even when one of our back four made a slip or produced a bad pass the rest were more than comfortable in dealing with it.

Nolan's first was an example of how bad the marking was, he was able to shrug off his defender for a moment, get in front of him and get a solid head on a good cross. The second was a an anomaly for the game, Carroll passed the ball into the channel for the onrushing Nolan who held of the defender long enough to get into the box and then capitalised on a foolish slide to bury the ball underneath Wright. Raylors goal was awful 'keeping. And to be honest, that was that as a competitive match. They were a couple more bits and pieces before and just after half time, but once Nolan's third went in the jig was up. Ipswich could have lpayed forever and they wouldn't have scored. Keano's produced a very very poor side. No confidence, no camaraderie, no cohesion, no heart.

So that was the football, the day will live long in the memory for the things that happened before kick off and at half time. "One Robby Robson" chants peppered the game, belted out with gusto by Tractor Boys and Geordies alike. They wheeled out important Ipswich players from the past who had an affiliation with Sir Bob and we clapped politely, they trotted out replicas of the UEFA and FA cups and we clapped politely, they got some fitty opera singer to warble abide with me and we nigh on blew the roof off. I had goosebumps on goose bumps; sweaty grimy chavs singing with reverence beyond their years, grumpy owld codgers singing with vitality belying their age. Magical stuff.

Half time came round and the game was over as a contest, the Ipswich fans had barely coughed let alone add to the atmosphere with any concerted voice. They made a couple of other announcements, got some old Ipswich legend to walk onto the pitch and present a flag depicting footballs most loved gentleman and had the opera singer return. My Way was sung with more passion than precision but I'm not ashamed to say there was a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye. They released some Balloons as Lady Robson officially renamed their North stand the Sir Bobby Robson stand.

I'm not sure he would have been all that impressed by the football on show, we never needed to get out of second gear and we weren't exactly playing the attractive that he had once graced St James' with and they were shocking.

special mention to the clarity of "You fat cockney Bastard get out of our club" and "Keano, he wanks his Dog, Keano" on the BBC highlights mind.

One of the best days of football I've enjoyed. Really emotional, really fulfilling, really satisfying. The team sheet didn't excite me, I thought the midfield looked static and without a spark of creativity between the four of them. Butt was wide left (as wide as you'd expect anyway) and Raylor was wide-ish right. Nolan up front and Smith in fornt of the back, it was a pretty lop-sided diamond. Thing is, for 30 minutes our front two were winning things in the air, but didn't get much support from the midfield. They were poor all over the pitch, our dominance in midfield was tangible and our defence rarely looked troubled. (I counted one Harper save and that was a trickler, and a few crosses which he comfortably dealt with.) Even when one of our back four made a slip or produced a bad pass the rest were more than comfortable in dealing with it.

Nolan's first was an example of how bad the marking was, he was able to shrug off his defender for a moment, get in front of him and get a solid head on a good cross. The second was a an anomaly for the game, Carroll passed the ball into the channel for the onrushing Nolan who held of the defender long enough to get into the box and then capitalised on a foolish slide to bury the ball underneath Wright. Raylors goal was awful 'keeping. And to be honest, that was that as a competitive match. They were a couple more bits and pieces before and just after half time, but once Nolan's third went in the jig was up. Ipswich could have lpayed forever and they wouldn't have scored. Keano's produced a very very poor side. No confidence, no camaraderie, no cohesion, no heart.

So that was the football, the day will live long in the memory for the things that happened before kick off and at half time. "One Robby Robson" chants peppered the game, belted out with gusto by Tractor Boys and Geordies alike. They wheeled out important Ipswich players from the past who had an affiliation with Sir Bob and we clapped politely, they trotted out replicas of the UEFA and FA cups and we clapped politely, they got some fitty opera singer to warble abide with me and we nigh on blew the roof off. I had goosebumps on goose bumps; sweaty grimy chavs singing with reverence beyond their years, grumpy owld codgers singing with vitality belying their age. Magical stuff.

Half time came round and the game was over as a contest, the Ipswich fans had barely coughed let alone add to the atmosphere with any concerted voice. They made a couple of other announcements, got some old Ipswich legend to walk onto the pitch and present a flag depicting footballs most loved gentleman and had the opera singer return. My Way was sung with more passion than precision but I'm not ashamed to say there was a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye. They released some Balloons as Lady Robson officially renamed their North stand the Sir Bobby Robson stand.

I'm not sure he would have been all that impressed by the football on show, we never needed to get out of second gear and we weren't exactly playing the attractive that he had once graced St James' with and they were shocking.

special mention to the clarity of "You fat cockney Bastard get out of our club" and "Keano, he wanks his Dog, Keano" on the BBC highlights mind.

Nolan was in midfield.

I thought you were ignoring my posts from now on, you know, in one of your strops earlier on?

I obviously meant that Nolan was at the front of a midfield diamond, but lets watch as yet again you ignore 98% of whatever I've written to continue your crusade against me, despite your claims that you don't care... :)