Ipswich Town 0-4 Newcastle United

The Fish

The front 2 were excellent. Carrols hold up play was superb and it was great to see 2 youth players starting a game and causing the opposition serious grief.

Agreed, but I'm not sure how well they complement each other, two big "number 9" style players that hold up the ball, I'd prefer to see a "big man little man" partnership upfront, someone to win the ball, hold it up and flick it on to the smaller pacier partner.

I actually think that while Ranger has the physical attributes to be a good target man, at present he still has a lot of room for improvement in that area and he actually looks more of a player when he gets balls into the channels for him to run onto where he can use his pace. Given his pace he's a better foil for Caroll (or Shola) than those two are for each other.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking forward to see the effect confidence will have on his game after his first goal. He still looks for the pass first, which is fine and fair enough, but there are times when you want your front man to be selfish.

When he scores his first I reckon he'll get a couple soon after.

Looking forward to see the effect confidence will have on his game after his first goal. He still looks for the pass first, which is fine and fair enough, but there are times when you want your front man to be selfish.

Agree and was saying similar after the match.

The front 2 were excellent. Carrols hold up play was superb and it was great to see 2 youth players starting a game and causing the opposition serious grief.

Agreed, but I'm not sure how well they complement each other, two big "number 9" style players that hold up the ball, I'd prefer to see a "big man little man" partnership upfront, someone to win the ball, hold it up and flick it on to the smaller pacier partner.

I actually think that while Ranger has the physical attributes to be a good target man, at present he still has a lot of room for improvement in that area and he actually looks more of a player when he gets balls into the channels for him to run onto where he can use his pace. Given his pace he's a better foil for Caroll (or Shola) than those two are for each other.

Agree.

Given his (in)experience, he looks far more comfortable with the ball than some of our senior mob, current and departed.

I was pleasantly surprised with his pace when he used it on Saturday.

I'd love him to notch his first senior goal on Wednesday.

Agree and was saying similar after the match.

What I do like is that he's doin the simple things very well, sometimes these kids over-stretch themselves in an effort to get that tangible success, going for shots they maybe shouldn't, trying to take on 4 players, lunging into reckless tackles with images of back-page spreads about them in their mind. Nile seems to want to do the little things right and keep getting into the right positions.

I like the look of him and Carroll to be honest.

I think Carrol can play with any of the striking options, acting as the big target man because the others for me aren't out and out target men themsleves.

As people have said Ranger looks good in other ways and with a goal will be much more likely to be shooting when he gets a chance. And Shola has never been a target man as he cannot use his height and strength well at all, but playing off Carroll as the main striker in this division we all saw how well he was going. And Harewood has a bit of pace and power but differnt to Carroll so i think that would work too.

To be honest looking at the division so far i think we could play any of those in any combination and do fine, we've played Nolan as a second striker and done well already.

I think Carrol can play with any of the striking options, acting as the big target man because the others for me aren't out and out target men themsleves.

As people have said Ranger looks good in other ways and with a goal will be much more likely to be shooting when he gets a chance. And Shola has never been a target man as he cannot use his height and strength well at all, but playing off Carroll as the main striker in this division we all saw how well he was going. And Harewood has a bit of pace and power but differnt to Carroll so i think that would work too.

To be honest looking at the division so far i think we could play any of those in any combination and do fine, we've played Nolan as a second striker and done well already.

when he was up front ? :lol:

(sorry Fish, couldn't resist)

£6 and £50 respectively with money going to the foundation.

Aye, but how much?

if anyone fancies buying a scarf and mailing it down to me I'd be pleased :lol:

I don't care what everyone else says Tom, I don't think you're a tussle-haired cockwhoknowsnothingaboutfootballpre-1985oraboutfootballoutsideofEngland... I think you're great :lol:

Roy Keane: I Can Handle Pressure

Posted 01/10/09 15:18

They talk about pressure. Don't make me laugh. I know about pressure and this isn't it. I'm calm. Just a man calmly walking the dog, a man and his dog, a dog and his man. No pressure. Walking, walking. Walkies, Triggs? Walkies, Roy. No pressure.

"Roy!"

No pressure, pressure no.

"ROY!"

Shouting now. Ferguson?

No. Theresa.

"Roy! ROY! What the hell are you doing?"

I blink.

"Where am I?" I say.

"Roy, what are you in the airing cupboard for? And why is the dog in here? What are you doing?"

Preparation, commitment, simplicity. The three keys. And shouting. The fourth key. Four keys, four seasons, four seasons in one day. Crowded House. Like Sunderland: full, full up, full of empty men. Ipswich too? No, no pressure.

Beep. Beep.

Text message.

Dark in airing cupboard. Outside, lighter: read text message. No pressure.

'Good luck 4 the big one on Saturday Roy.'

I text back, hard.

"Go and f*** yourself."

Take that, you c***. I think to myself. I text it too. Take that, you c***.

"Oh Roy, you've broken another phone. Won't you ever stop throwing them about the place?"

Look back into the airing cupboard. Immersion heater. Gurgling, spluttering, making noises. Pathetic. Shout. Motivate. Make it the best immersion heater it can be.

I am Roy Keane and I will not settle for second best. Calm calm no pressure no pressure. McCarthy laughing and sneering "Eee not so easy now, is it? Now you're in charge and you've an immersion heater of your own. And you probably haven't even had a CORGI registered engineer round to look at your heater."

Heater has let me down. Has let itself down. Has let airing cupboard down and the plumber who comes to service it down.

No pressure no pressure no pressure kick kick hurt hurt motivate kick.

Kick heater? Kick heater.

Harder than it looks. Foot hurts now. No pressure. No pressure on foot. Collapse, hard. Heater gurgles. Black.

£4000 RAISED FOR SIR BOBBY

Posted on: 07.10.2009

Ipswich Town have earned an impressive £4000 for The Sir Bobby Robson Foundation, and have 15 more shirts to auction off.

The Tractor Boys have auctioned just three of the commemorative shirts off so far - those worn in the recent Championship clash with Newcastle United.

The first batch of shirts worn by Pablo Counago, Richard Wright and Lee Martin all went for more than £1000. Jon Walters, Tamas Priskin and Jaime Peters' shirts are up for auction at the moment, with Walters' jersey already over the £1,000 barrier.

In total 18 shirts will be auctioned off by the Suffolk club with all proceeds going straight to the Foundation, set up by their former Manager.

Newcastle will also be auctioning off their shirts for the same charity.

:D