Derren Brown to predict the Lottery - LIVE

Nyff

Derren Brown will try to predict the National Lottery numbers live on TV this week.

Channel 4 will screen Brown's attempt to call the Wednesday night draw across its five channels - the first time the broadcaster has given over its entire network to a single event - and in a separate show on Friday he will tell viewers how he did it.

The stunt marks the start of a new series of television tricks from Brown, whose past shows have seen him perform Russian Roulette live, apparently contact the dead in an interactive seance and convince members of the public to take part in the robbery of an armoured security van.

Details of the Lottery trick, to be shown as the draw is made live on BBC One at 10.35pm on Wednesday, are being kept a close secret, but Brown said he was looking forward to the show.

"I realise there are a lot of questions this brings up, and I hope they'll be answered on the Friday night show," he said.

"For now, I'm really excited and really nervous and cannot tell you for sure how well it will work. Some things just have to be tried."

A spokesman for the Lottery said that 70 per cent of the adult population of the UK would be trying to emulate Brown's trick and guess the numbers.

"It is impossible to affect the outcome of the draw and Derren Brown is not suggesting he is doing this," the spokesman said.

"Derren Brown is an illusionist creating an illusion that he can predict the numbers. We wish Derren, but more importantly our players, the best of luck."

Source

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless he's right next to the machine when he's predicting the numbers, it won't be all that impressive.

I read an article about a year ago that the lottery had been predicted and subsequently before mathematically by university students. Something to do with probability, but then again my grasp of mathematics is a little weak so I can't explain it very well.

Unless he's right next to the machine when he's predicting the numbers, it won't be all that impressive.

I read an article about a year ago that the lottery had been predicted and subsequently before mathematically by university students. Something to do with probability, but then again my grasp of mathematics is a little weak so I can't explain it very well.

the thing is probabilities can only get you so far it can't actually give you the numbers as they will come out each week so if he does this and is right or even almost right I will be pretty impressed although if he kept it up I'd put myself up against him every week and probably be just about as right as him over a long period of time

Be very surprised if they got it right (of course they could, just like anyone else can :munch:).

Be very surprised if they got it right (of course they could, just like anyone else can :munch:).

They did also mention that they'd had the numbers for their whole semester, and that they didn't win the jackpot, but they still had a theory at least. ;)

They did also mention that they'd had the numbers for their whole semester, and that they didn't win the jackpot, but they still had a theory at least. :D

Probably something to do with % of draws and partial wins then, whether that's any better than say massive block betting on it. ;)

They did also mention that they'd had the numbers for their whole semester, and that they didn't win the jackpot, but they still had a theory at least. :D

Probably something to do with % of draws and partial wins then, whether that's any better than say massive block betting on it. ;)

You're probably better off sticking to your usual numbers tbh.

Over a long enough timeline all the numbers should come out an equal number of times.

It was on this basis that for 6 months I got tickets of 3 lines of 6 from the 8 least frequently occuring numbers.

I won as little as I have in the 10 year before using my statistical approach.

EDIT: Before any pedants point it out, I'm aware that this is statistically naive and none of the previous draws have any effect on the next draw.

Edited by Happy Face

My prediction

:munch:

Loose definition of prediction there.

I've never done the lottery, probably saved myself nearly a grand by now.

Trying a new approach. Rather than least frequently occuring since it started, I'm going for the least recently drawn numbers. None of those have appeared in over 6 weeks now.

Has anyone checked what time the draw is and what time his programme is on? :munch:

Reckon he's just got last weeks on tape?

No, but what I do know is that it's bollocks. If the twat could predict the lottery numbers why the hell hasn't he been playing and winning every week.

I'll be interested to see if he has an earpiece as there is almost certainly a very short delay on the televised version of the lottery which could be exploited.

My prediction

:munch:

Loose definition of prediction there.

I've never done the lottery, probably saved myself nearly a grand by now.

Trying a new approach. Rather than least frequently occuring since it started, I'm going for the least recently drawn numbers. None of those have appeared in over 6 weeks now.

Thing is, you've indicated in your previous post you're aware that all this is nonsense. The only thing that is important when picking the numbers is to make sure they are not all very popular numbers, so if you do win, you're less likely to have to share it.

You'd be better off doing an outrageous accumulator on football scores or something, there may even be a small element of skill there.

Has anyone checked what time the draw is and what time his programme is on? ;)

No, but what I do know is that it's bollocks. If the twat could predict the lottery numbers why the hell hasn't he been playing and winning every week.

I'll be interested to see if he has an earpiece as there is almost certainly a very short delay on the televised version of the lottery which could be exploited.

Did you see the one where he gave the woman 10 winners in a row at the horses? On the last one she was ready to put her house and her parents house on the result. :munch:

Has anyone checked what time the draw is and what time his programme is on? :munch:

Does anyone seriously think he can read the future? He's an illusionist, a fucking good one, but that's all at the end of the day. I bet he doesn't use an ear piece though.

In the Euro I go for the same numbers, only changing one each year.

I rarely, if ever, play the UK lottery. I know this won't make a lot of sense, but I figure the £1.50 being worth day dreaming about winning tens of millions of pounds but knowing full well there's little to no chance of winning it. Whereas, I don't see splitting £2m as worth a quid.

I figure there's (realistically) no chance of winning either, so I may as well go for the one that gives me the preposterous fortune.

Did you see the one where he gave the woman 10 winners in a row at the horses? On the last one she was ready to put her house and her parents house on the result. :munch:

I wonder how many times he had to film that sequence?

I wonder how many times he had to film that sequence?

Iirc he just started out with several hundred participants and they were predictably whittled down through standard probability theory. He said it took all day to flip heads ten times in a row though, must have been boring as fuck and difficult to keep his cool when he finally did it.

It's the live element that makes this different I suppose.