England 5-1 Croatia

Tom

Not wanting to overreact based on recent performences or anything but I really think you lot could go all the way in South Africa and I hope you do for what it's worth, sick of the shite from the press about the national team underachieving and the rest.

A great deal of luck is required to win a world cup too though so who knows, but I can't think of another country apart from Spain who has a better first 11 overall. The likes of Brazil, Italy etc all have weak parts of their team. You could argue England's goalkeeping situation is a big weakness but the likes of Green and Robinson are reliable enough if unspectacular and James can be great on his day.

Not wanting to overreact based on recent performences or anything but I really think you lot could go all the way in South Africa and I hope you do for what it's worth, sick of the shite from the press about the national team underachieving and the rest.

A great deal of luck is required to win a world cup too though so who knows, but I can't think of another country apart from Spain who has a better first 11 overall. The likes of Brazil, Italy etc all have weak parts of their team. You could argue England's goalkeeping situation is a big weakness but the likes of Green and Robinson are reliable enough if unspectacular and James can be great on his day.

To be honest the squad is no better than 2004, 2006 or 2008. We've had the players to win trophies for at least 6 years, as a pair you wouldn't swap Terry and Ferdinand for any of them, you won't find a better attacking full back than Johnson (he needs to tighten up though), Lampard and Gerrard have as much attacking potential as ANY midfielders in the world (I include Iniesta in that) and Carlos Tevez is rated as world class, well he is a very very very poor mans Wayne Rooney which says it all about him. Added to that you have players who in previous years were in and out like Lennon who are thriving, there is genuine optimism, but as I said it's largely the same players Sven and SMAC had. Either Capello is a genius or England are finally coming of age, a bit of both I think, the shape of the team is great, and they're all playing with their heads rather than their hearts, but with no mean attacking intent which was completely devoid in Germany 2006.

I'm not going to say England will do this that and the other in the World Cup, because I and many others have in the past and it's come back to haunt us, we've never been a bad side, I mean the last three tournaments we've been in we've only lost two games, I just think we've added that bit of structure and purpose to our play. IF we do win the World Cup, I'd offer Capello an eight year deal and knight the cunt, because he is without doubt the best manager we could have.

Another thing in our favour (which we've never had before) is a cool climate, it's like November here, and the perfect conditions for higher tempo football. I fear no one, Spain are a good side but we can beat them, they don't know how to win tournaments (daft thing to say as they're European Champions) against Germany they were so nervous, and for me they haven't got that winning mentality in big tournaments (same with England to a point) which vastly inferior sides like Italy and Germany have. Brazil are a good side, but maybe for the first time I think we are their equals at least, Argentina are finished, to me we are head and shoulders better than Holland, it was just a friendly but a virtual England B side dominated against them, and after that who else is there. Germany will have to qualify via the play offs, as will France, Portugal, and don't get me started on Italy, not one class outfield player, even Zambrotta's almost finished. The worry is with them they're horrible lucky, disgusting, filthy, flukey bastards. As the worst world champions in history, and as Greece proved, if luck is on your side anything can happen.

Jocks reading this will say "aye its eh same every time England get tae eh werruld cup or eh euros er gonnae win eh cunt, and every time ay end up look fucken pure pish". There is a small element which is true, and I don't know who will win it if I'm honest, but I think with current form, our players, and definitely this confidence inspiring manager, England definitely justify third favouritism, we should fear absolutely no one.

To be honest the squad is no better than 2004, 2006 or 2008. We've had the players to win trophies for at least 6 years, as a pair you wouldn't swap Terry and Ferdinand for any of them, you won't find a better attacking full back than Johnson (he needs to tighten up though), Lampard and Gerrard have as much attacking potential as ANY midfielders in the world (I include Iniesta in that) and Carlos Tevez is rated as world class, well he is a very very very poor mans Wayne Rooney which says it all about him. Added to that you have players who in previous years were in and out like Lennon who are thriving, there is genuine optimism, but as I said it's largely the same players Sven and SMAC had. Either Capello is a genius or England are finally coming of age, a bit of both I think, the shape of the team is great, and they're all playing with their heads rather than their hearts, but with no mean attacking intent which was completely devoid in Germany 2006.

I'm not going to say England will do this that and the other in the World Cup, because I and many others have in the past and it's come back to haunt us, we've never been a bad side, I mean the last three tournaments we've been in we've only lost two games, I just think we've added that bit of structure and purpose to our play. IF we do win the World Cup, I'd offer Capello an eight year deal and knight the cunt, because he is without doubt the best manager we could have.

Another thing in our favour (which we've never had before) is a cool climate, it's like November here, and the perfect conditions for higher tempo football. I fear no one, Spain are a good side but we can beat them, they don't know how to win tournaments (daft thing to say as they're European Champions) against Germany they were so nervous, and for me they haven't got that winning mentality in big tournaments (same with England to a point) which vastly inferior sides like Italy and Germany have. Brazil are a good side, but maybe for the first time I think we are their equals at least, Argentina are finished, to me we are head and shoulders better than Holland, it was just a friendly but a virtual England B side dominated against them, and after that who else is there. Germany will have to qualify via the play offs, as will France, Portugal, and don't get me started on Italy, not one class outfield player, even Zambrotta's almost finished. The worry is with them they're horrible lucky, disgusting, filthy, flukey bastards. As the worst world champions in history, and as Greece proved, if luck is on your side anything can happen.

Jocks reading this will say "aye its eh same every time England get tae eh werruld cup or eh euros er gonnae win eh cunt, and every time ay end up look fucken pure pish". There is a small element which is true, and I don't know who will win it if I'm honest, but I think with current form, our players, and definitely this confidence inspiring manager, England definitely justify third favouritism, we should fear absolutely no one.

I would take Young and Aggy rather than Owen and Carlton Cole etc...

Thought Terry was a bit dodgy on the night like, especially as he didn't have much to do. Got away with it really Shows what a good player Ferdinand is I suppose because we do miss him. Excellent performance overall but Croatia were absoutely awful as well. Play like that and we've got a chance against anyone though and, Spain apart, there aren't many outstanding international sides for us to lose too much sleep over. Agree with ewerk's point too mind.

I think a lot of it depends on the condition of the players come June. Too often England have been let down by players exhausted after domestic and European campaigns.

True enough, I think it's vital if we have any chance of winning it that Rooney, Rio and Gerrard are fit, if any one of them is missing I think we'd give a good account but definitely fall short.

Reading Ant's comments, and yours it's always struck me, despite Britain's murderous past in Ireland, a large portion of the Irish people don't actually hate England when it comes to football, certainly no where near as much as the Scottish, maybe it's better education I don't know.

Parky, Agbonlahor is one of the worst capped players in England's history, we have no alternative to Heskey if we want a strong cunt to win balls in the air, I think Carlton Cole's recent performances justify a squad position.

I think a lot of it depends on the condition of the players come June. Too often England have been let down by players exhausted after domestic and European campaigns.

True enough, I think it's vital if we have any chance of winning it that Rooney, Rio and Gerrard are fit, if any one of them is missing I think we'd give a good account but definitely fall short.

Reading Ant's comments, and yours it's always struck me, despite Britain's murderous past in Ireland, a large portion of the Irish people don't actually hate England when it comes to football, certainly no where near as much as the Scottish, maybe it's better education I don't know.

Parky, Agbonlahor is one of the worst capped players in England's history, we have no alternative to Heskey if we want a strong cunt to win balls in the air, I think Carlton Cole's recent performances justify a squad position.

Aggy can play on the right or in the center mind. I like the idea of bringing him on when Lennon is knackered. Just don't see CC as international class.

I was thinking on the bog this morning that if we had a Drogba upront we'd be unstoppable.

Aggy can play on the right or in the center mind. I like the idea of bringing him on when Lennon is knackered. Just don't see CC as international class.

I was thinking on the bog this morning that if we had a Drogba upront we'd be unstoppable.

Thats the thing about big Emile...Drogba is the player Heskey could and should have been......but in the system Capello is playing Heskey does his job and creates space for Rooney to play in. It works, and he's found the key to playing Gerrard and Lampard plaing together i.e. Gareth Barry. And the players are shit scared of being dropped, no more "caps for the boys", unless you're Beckham. This is a very good England team with the right man leading them. If they win the World Cup it will be a great team. But they're going to need a bit of luck for that :)

Well CC isn't really international class but all Agbonlahor certainly isn't, all he is is an athlete, he has no quality at all. A talentless headless chicken who strikes a decent ball occasionally.

Edited by Stevie

Thats the thing about big Emile...Drogba is the player Heskey could and should have been......but in the system Capello is playing Heskey does his job and creates space for Rooney to play in. It works, and he's found the key to playing Gerrard and Lampard plaing together i.e. Gareth Barry. And the players are shit scared of being dropped, no more "caps for the boys", unless you're Beckham. This is a very good England team with the right man leading them. If they win the World Cup it will be a great team. But they're going to need a bit of luck for that :)

I like how he uses beckham though, put in some quality after one of the quicker lads lennon/walcott etc has worn down the fullback

We're just not so insecure that we treat England's failures as a mini-victory for us. Still doesn't mean we don't have a discrete smirk though :)

I like how he uses beckham though, put in some quality after one of the quicker lads lennon/walcott etc has worn down the fullback

Yeah one ball Becks played when he came on was brilliant...sort of scooped it up and bent it round for Rooney...and I think he's definetly on the plane for SA...I don't think he'd be anywhere near the squad if he wasn't. I think Wes Brown should go as well, and could well start at right back....their goal last night came because Johnson allowed the cross to come in too easily. And he's a better player in the middle than Upson for me.

Yeah one ball Becks played when he came on was brilliant...sort of scooped it up and bent it round for Rooney...and I think he's definetly on the plane for SA...I don't think he'd be anywhere near the squad if he wasn't. I think Wes Brown should go as well, and could well start at right back....their goal last night came because Johnson allowed the cross to come in too easily. And he's a better player in the middle than Upson for me.

Wes Brown will be injured by next summer man :)