Laptop running slow.

Tom

Hi,

My brothers having some bother with his laptop and I was wondering if anyone could help.

It's a HP6000 Pavilion.

The first problem is it's running slow, It's maxing out 100 percent of the RAM simply by running firefox and that's only taking 86'000k memory up and everything else is running very very slow, the computer has 4GB ram so It should be able to run this kind of stuff very easily.

The second is that firefox keeps redirecting involuntarily. E.g if you search google for something and click on the link it brings up it takes you to another search engine.

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

Trying running a scan for spy ware and stuff.

Spybot search and destory is a good one. Can be found on download.com

Another good peace of software is malware bytes.

Might be best running these in safe mode.

Sounds like its got masses of viruses and spyware clogging it up. He must love filth.

His brother… :(:)

Lols...

I'm sure you already know this, Tom, but be sure to take the brother's computer offline when you do this.

Reason I mention it, we had a flare up of the Conficker about a week ago in my company. Thankfully my stuff wasn't affected, but it rocked a bunch of our plants and some corporate boxes. The big wig IT dudes went in and cleaned everything up, but apparently somebody wasn't offline when they did their cleanup and a bunch of stuff got re-infected. Well played people making twice my salary to do half the work... well played indeed.

Make sure he's got the right addons for firefox too (noscript + adblockplus mostly) and a decent software firewall too.

And if it's Vista a 3rd party defragmentor will likely work absolute wonders (Perfectdisk 10) once any spyware issues are cleared up as the built in one seems to be worse than not having one.

I used a system restore instead and that seems to have worked fine.

He hasn't lost any documents or programs so he should be fine with it.

Fix the cause or you'll be back there again before you can say "Fish was lying?". :)

Yeh i took Christmas Tree's advice and used his program which uncovered a lot of rubbish which needed removing, then de fragmented and then restored.

All bases covered!

Yeh i took Christmas Tree's advice and used his program which uncovered a lot of rubbish which needed removing, then de fragmented and then restored.

All bases covered!

....soon after Tom was forcibly removed by a swat team as he barricaded himself in the toilet with his unresponsive laptop.