Cardiff City 0-1 Newcastle United

Tom

"We had good positions to get in on goal and dominated the game for long periods, but at this level, in a tight match, you do expect the officials to get it right.

"We knew it was going to be a tough game both on and off the pitch, but we had to break 10 men down and we have to be wiser.

"I have no complaints about losing the match, but when you lose you always feel hard done by, especially when the referee has to be brave under those conditions."

Anyone know what game he was watching. Some classic sour grapes IMO.

"It was a stonewall penalty when the Newcastle player handled the ball, but if you make a defensive mistake like we did in the first half, you have to suffer the consequences.

Right out of the Pete Sampras book of giving no credit to your opponent. When you lose it's because you weren't up to your normal standard, not because they were better than you.

Also love how he uses the word 'handled' to make it sound like Taylor reached out and grabbed the ball. FFS the ball cannoned into his arm from 3 feet (granted he was assuming a keeper like make yourself large position at the time).

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Poor game but the points more important than anything else, Smith was constant battler, gave his all and took one for the team at the end, good job we have Butt coming back, Nolan and Barton were poor today, Lovenkrands went missing the moment he came on.

The formation didn't help, Ranger needs someone to feed off, another spirited performance from Ranger, worked hard upfront and tracked back.

Pretty much agree with that. I think Ranger showed a mature performance, not sure what else we could have expected from him. smith was my motm, done what mattered.

Ranger could be quite something in a season or two, he's taken to it very well and always seems calm on the ball - whilst constantly looking for someone to lay it off to. Good lad.

Ranger could be quite something in a season or two, he's taken to it very well and always seems calm on the ball - whilst constantly looking for someone to lay it off to. Good lad.

He gets in there, challenges in the air, holds the ball up well and throws his weight around....but I think someone needs to tell him he's allowed to shoot :)

Aside from the goal, which was a cracking header, I thought Coloccini had a good game. Both he and Taylor are getting very good cover from Alan Smith and absolutely nothing is getting past Jose and Simpson at the moment.

Ridiculous challenge directly before the tackle which lead to Smith's sending off though. Absolutely no way he could win the ball so he just had to stand his ground. It could have easily lead to a Cardiff goal. You'd expect something a bit cooler from someone of his experience.

I'd be pissed off if i was a Cardiff fan, they should have got a result.

Funny now reading media reports, we were 'solid defensively' and they could 'find no way through'. They had 16 shots, 14 on target to our 2, yet the editorial / journalist angle is that we defended amazingly because the we won 0-1. I thought we looked very shaky.

Great result like.

I dont think we looked that shaky. I dont recall Harper having to make a worthwhile save although he picked off a few good crosses. Shame he is playing in this division this year as I reckon he could have been sniffing around the England squad. He is better than Paul Robinson.

I dont think we looked that shaky. I dont recall Harper having to make a worthwhile save although he picked off a few good crosses. Shame he is playing in this division this year as I reckon he could have been sniffing around the England squad. He is better than Paul Robinson.

:) Get a grip man.

That one from Burke was going in and on another day Chopra might have got the ball round the wall.

Could have just been complacency, which is a worry in itself. (Enrique giving the ball away, Colo's jump before the Smith sending off etc).

I'd be pissed off if i was a Cardiff fan, they should have got a result.

Funny now reading media reports, we were 'solid defensively' and they could 'find no way through'. They had 16 shots, 14 on target to our 2, yet the editorial / journalist angle is that we defended amazingly because the we won 0-1. I thought we looked very shaky.

Great result like.

Apart from the "pen", none of those 14 shots on target were anywhere near being a goal though.

You think Robinson is better than Harper?

I do actually and I don't particularly rate Robinson. Harper looked terrified when he got the no. 1 spot last season so fuck knows what he'd be like for England. When I look at Harper now he looks like a poor man's Given, i.e. basically a shot-stopper with poor distribution who doesn't command his area. He'd have to be an outstanding shot-stopper to make up for his deficiencies and he's neither that nor as good a shot stopper as he was a few years ago.

That one from Burke was going in and on another day Chopra might have got the ball round the wall.

Could have just been complacency, which is a worry in itself. (Enrique giving the ball away, Colo's jump before the Smith sending off etc).

Enriques ball was gash. He has a habit of doing that. He did something very similar towards the end of the Leicester game as well. He'll need to cut that of his game quickly.

Edited by Holden McGroin

Enriques ball was gash. He has a habitat of doing that. He did something very similar towards the end of the Leicester game as well. He'll need to cut that of his game quickly.

Good footballer but that can almost be a weakness at times because he tries to play too much when he should just hoof it as that incident showed.

You think Robinson is better than Harper?

I do actually and I don't particularly rate Robinson. Harper looked terrified when he got the no. 1 spot last season so fuck knows what he'd be like for England. When I look at Harper now he looks like a poor man's Given, i.e. basically a shot-stopper with poor distribution who doesn't command his area. He'd have to be an outstanding shot-stopper to make up for his deficiencies and he's neither that nor as good a shot stopper as he was a few years ago.

I dont. Robinsons confidence is in pieces and has never recovered from that air shot in Croatia. Harper seemed to command his box expertly yesterday and took a lot of crosses. The one near the end was a massive relief for the defence.

Edited by Holden McGroin

Here we go again! :):D

Here we go again! :):D

I dont think it would have been that far fetched. There must only be about 5 regular English keepers in the PL. Barring an in form James none of them are really top notch.

I agreed with you up to the bit in Italics. I think defensively we were sound (on the whole) I don't think the 14 shots can be taken as evidence that we some how scraped through by the skin of our teeth. I can't remember many clear cut saves needing to be made, most of them were half chances at best. As much down to Smith nullifying their central threats as it was our back four (and their lack of quality in the final third).

As for Harper for England, he's lost his reflexes and hasn't got much else to his game.

I agreed with you up to the bit in Italics. I think defensively we were sound (on the whole) I don't think the 14 shots can be taken as evidence that we some how scraped through by the skin of our teeth. I can't remember many clear cut saves needing to be made, most of them were half chances at best. As much down to Smith nullifying their central threats as it was our back four (and their lack of quality in the final third).

As for Harper for England, he's lost his reflexes and hasn't got much else to his game.

And they have the best striker in the league (Bar Shola of course). :)